MembersZone Subscriber

Default X Game Generation Doesn't Get it

This was an op-ed from the Newark Star Ledger. He is talking about the disgrace that Lindsay Whateverhernameis put on that cost her a gold medal. He says it better than I could.
    "This is what happened: Jacobellis embarrassed herself on the biggest stage in sports, and in doing so, confirmed for many the perception that American teenagers who belong to our X Games culture care more about highlight DVDs and videogame moves than winning and losing.

This is the message she sent yesterday in this tiny skiing village, in a new event called "snowboardcross" that most people over 20 probably didn't know existed. The sport might be unfamiliar, but everyone can relate to what happened ... even if it was so unthinkable.

This was a sprinter trying a cartwheel across the finish line. This was a swimmer going for a somersault before touching the pool wall. This was Leon Lett with blond pigtails -- only the Cowboys won that Super Bowl when Lett dangled the football recklessly on his way into the end zone and had it knocked away.

It was a bizarre end to what had to be the craziest three minutes in these Olympics so far. This is a new event at the Games, with four competitors racing down a snowboarding course at the same time, sailing over jumps and avoiding crashes. Imagine the Daytona 500 on a ski slope.

Jacobellis had a huge lead after two competitors had crashed, with one flying into the blue fence like a stockcar slamming through a fence. One sportswriter pulled out a stopwatch to begin timing her victory margin. The Americans in the crowd were waving their flags and celebrating.

Her teammates were waiting at the bottom of the hill, ready to offer hugs and congratulations, as Jacobellis rounded into view and heard the cheers from the grandstands.

"I was definitely caught up in the moment," she said, "and forgot I still had to race."

Then, the unfathomable. Jacobellis came to the next-to-last jump, grabbed her snowboard and pulled it into the air -- a backside method grab, they call it -- and fell to the snow with a thud. She scrambled to her feet, but Swiss competitor Tanja Frieden had caught her from behind.

"I was already stoked for silver," Frieden said, "but I knew I had to concentrate because it's never over until it's done. All of sudden, I saw her crashing there and I was like, 'Whoa!'"

Whoa, indeed.

With each interview, Jacobellis just made the controversy worse. First she insisted she was trying to steady her snowboard to prevent a spill. "I've been having trouble with that jump all day, and I tried a grab just to stabilize myself in the air," she said, "and it didn't work."

Everyone knew better, and you don't have to know snowboarding to understand why. Who tries a flashy move when stability is the only object?

"That was putting on a show," said Seth Wescott, an American who won the men's race the day before.

"She put on a little trick at the end," said Jayson Hale, another one of her teammates.

"She went down in style," said Diana Lucivero, one of her aunts watching from the crowd.

Later, in the teleconference, she admitted she was going for flash, but didn't understand why it was a big deal. "It's just a race," she said. For some, the Olympics are a dream that burns as bright as that massive torch.

If this is just a race, it shouldn't be in the Games. If Jacobellis feels that way, neither should she. "

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't want to be too hard on her.

Her comment of "It's just a race", sound more like a young and self-conscious teenager's poor attempt at putting on a strong face. She knows where she was, and what she did, and she'll always have to live with that one stupid mistake. In fact, unless she gets the chance to repeat in Whistler, I suspect that is how she'll be known and remembered. The girl who blew a sure thing at the big show.

But on to the sport. We run boardercross races here at Panorama all the time, and they are very popular. They are very intense and intentional or not, race outcomes change in an instant. That is the whole draw of the event. Unlike a GS or DH, where it is often possible to salvage a run after a minor error, boardercross is not so forgiving. One little error and you're out, and the number two or even three racer can come from behind and take it.

There is an issue with some of these new sports and the apparent aloof attitude displayed by the competitors (Ross Rebagliati anyone?), but I attribute it more to a lack of an established federation or national following. There are less kids participating, and that means it is somewhat easier to get to the games in the smaller pool of athletes. These kids are younger than most, and don't have the years of commitment under their belt yet. As the sport increases in popularity, and so does the pool of serious athletes, it will drive the calibre of competitor up.

There is a real sense of rebellion and counter culture within many of these snow sports however, so I don't think we are going to see a bunch of clean cut golfer-types any time soon.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    This was an op-ed from the Newark Star Ledger. He is talking about the disgrace that Lindsay Whateverhernameis put on that cost her a gold medal. He says it better than I could.

Wow. How clueless is this guy? The X - games are all about the show of the sport. Doing stunts is what this girl has practiced, performed and won medals for her whole life. I'm not saying what she did was right, but the show of the sport is what got her into the olympics in the first place. And had she completed the stunt, she would have secured more of a fan base. She knew what she was doing.

This guy just wants to be heard, and it worked.

Forum Member

I highly doubt she could have made it to the olympics without practicing and working very hard for years, if not her whole life. She must know dedication, effort, and sacrifice well to make it this far.
    I don't think she was purposfully trying to gloat as much as enjoying the moment with the fans. If I were her I would have waited to enjoy the moment at the end of the race and kept my focus on finish line.
    An olympic silver medal is still a remarkable accomplishment. Congrats go out to the gold medal winner who kept her focus. Being a good athlete takes mental focus as well as physical.
    I bet Lindsey learned from the experience and won't do it again. That's life, live and learn.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down From A Different Angle.............

I'm hardly, at age 64, one of the x-game set, although I do have a neighbor who has a national following in..... Motocross is what I think it's called, where dirt bikes spend more time in the air than on the dirt. My neighbor is Travis Pastrana, who seems to have won everything that there is in that sport. but as to the Olympics, Ho Hum, I really don't give a hoot if there is ever another American team in the olymics or not. I've never liked the "Olymic attitude" that has always had America at the bottom of eveything and europeans at the top. Heck with it.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

If she wants to go out therre for the "show of the sport", she can figure skate. She disrepescted herself, her team and her country by the classless showboating and the arrogant, spoiled little brat talk after the fact.

BTW< did she stop and think how many hundreds of thousands of dollars in endorsements she cost herself? A silver medal is a great accomplishment, except in the world of Madison Avenue advertising.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    If she wants to go out therre for the "show of the sport", she can figure skate. She disrepescted herself, her team and her country by the classless showboating and the arrogant, spoiled little brat talk after the fact.

BTW< did she stop and think how many hundreds of thousands of dollars in endorsements she cost herself? A silver medal is a great accomplishment, except in the world of Madison Avenue advertising.
    When did George become the official X-Game Commissioner? Or better yet, have you ever even watched the X-Games? 99% of the games are about show. Did she disrespect anyone? I don't think so. I wouldn't be too concerned about her endorsement problems. She's probably sitting cozy in a house that is bigger and nicer than anyone on this board can afford. Good for her.

P.S. - It's good to see that your crappy attitude isn't reserved solely for the Firefighting Forum.

Thread Information