Forum Member

Default AFG for Rescue Suits

First off I would like to thank everyone for keeping me from waisting my time on a rescue truck. For those of you that dont know our comunitty runs a Rescue unit that is seperate from both our fire dept. and our ambulance service. We handle all aspects of rescue (IE extrication, rope, search, and rescue) Our current PPE is old bunker gear from the 60s that other departments were tossing out. None of it is NFPA and honestly not real safe. What I would like to get is two piece nomex rescue suits, with leather boots, gloves, and helmets with face shields. We have a crew of 25. So the question is would this be something AFG would consider a priority and should I ask for the full sets of gear or try to get several pieces a year?

MembersZone Subscriber

Page 3 of the PG provides the following info for eligible applicants.

Eligible applicants for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program are limited to fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations of a State. A “State ” is defined as the 50 States plus the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands,the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and Puerto Rico. A “fire department of a State ” is defined as an agency or organization that has a formally recognized arrangement with a State, territory, local,or tribal authority (city,county, parish, fire district,township,town,or other governing body)to provide fire suppression to a population within a fixed geographical area. A “nonaffiliated EMS organization ” is defined as a public or private nonprofit emergency medical services organization that provides direct emergency medical services to a specific geographic area but is not affiliated with a hospital and does not serve a geographic area in which DHS finds that emergency medical services are adequately provided by a fire department. In making the determination regarding “adequately provided,” DHS will conclude that any nonaffiliated
    EMS organization would be eligible under this definition if the organization is providing direct emergency medical services at the time of application and is in good standing with the community, i.e., licensed and/or chartered to provide EMS serves to the community. Included in this category of eligibility would be rescue squads that are adequately trained to provide emergency medical services to the community that they serve.
    Based on the info supplied, I do not believe you are eligible to apply. You are not a fire department, or a non-affiliated EMS service. The last sentence of the quote may apply to your group, but I think it's a long shot. I keep reading this over and over and I still come up with the same conclusion. Hopefully, I'm wrong and some one else can can up with a different solution.
    Last edited by onebugle; 02-19-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Forum Member

I got this from the AFG FAQ area.

Can an independent rescue squad or emergency medical services unit apply?
    Yes. Ambulance services, rescue squads, are eligible to apply for assistance in FY 2006. However, auxiliaries, dive teams, urban search and rescue teams, fire service organizations or associations, and State/local agencies such as a forest service, fire marshal, hospitals, and training offices are not eligible for this program.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Any PPE you purchase must be compliant with NFPA, whether EMS, Rescue, Wildland, or Structural. These are the two you'll need the proposed PPE to comply with:

NFPA 1951
    Standard on Protective Ensemble for USAR Operations
    NFPA 1999
    Standard on Protective Clothing for Emergency Medical Operations

And yes you can apply. Not that you needed more proof than the FAQ but I helped a few organizations like yours last year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Brian,

Based on the info that rolandthunder has provided in this posting and his other posting for the rescue truck, would the following part of the PG take affect.

Included in this category of eligibility would be rescue squads that are adequately trained to provide emergency medical services to the community that they serve.
    In his posting he does not state that the rescue squad provides EMS, but there is a seperate ambulance service. Or is this implied based on the type of rescues they are doing, therefore they must be providing EMS to the victims.

Or am I reading way too much into the eligibility definition?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Or is this implied based on the type of rescues they are doing, therefore they must be providing EMS to the victims.
    Correct. Any type of rescue operation falls under the 'providing EMS' heading because rescue implies having patients, and some type of treatment is occuring even if it is just removing them from their place of entrapment. EMS doesn't necessarily mean transport.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Brian,

What I probably need is a good dope slap for that one. Oh well, I can blame it on the kids, they are on school vacation this week.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No biggie, we all have brain cramps everyone in a while.

And of course blame it on the kids, what else did we have them for? This is America, lawyers taught us it can't be our fault.

MembersZone Subscriber

rolandthunder, I would have to agree with bc79er that you are eligible you just need to make sure you are putting in the narrative that you are providing first responder medical treatment and stablization. Of course it never hurts to mention if you have some EMTs on staff and don't forget that there is a priority in this years grant for training from basic first responder to EMT-B level, which I am sure would benefit your credibility and interoperability with surrounding agencies. Going for both is fine so take advantage where you can. I got severl of these funded last year as well. Contact me offline and I can help you out here.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Our rescue is staffed by a joint crew of bot fire and ambulance crew members. I would have to say that all but maybe three or four of our crew are atleast EMT-B and two of those guys are in the EMT class that we are doing right now. We try to make sure that anyone doing anything rescue related such as extrication has some level of medical training or is being supervised by someone with medical training. I started out as an EMT and since that time have taken several extrication and advanced extrication classes. But I have never had any PPE. I had to borrow a set of bunker gear from the fire dept. in the next town over so I could go to the classes. I hope to pass a protocal that anyone not in full PPE will not be allowed to enter a rescue scene. But until I can get the gear we are all at risk of getting hurt.

I was at a car accident a few weeks ago that required extrication. One of the EMTs was holding c-spine less then a foot away from were they were cutting. I did the best I could to get between her and the tools to shield her. But if something would have gone wrong it would have been our butts for not having PPE.

I have only ever written one grant and I screwed it up pretty bad. I have learned a lot more since then but I still dont think I know enough to about what is needed to get a grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

rolandthunder, it is not that hard of a process. You have to follow directions well, stick to the program priorities and adequetley explain your need. Give me a shout and I will help you out, but do it quickly, there is no charge
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

At one time or another everyone submits a grant that is not funded. It's the nature of the process, sometimes there is someone alse that submits a grant that is just slightly better than yours. The key to the process is to learn from the mistakes and submit a better grant proposal the next time.

You are learning since your first idea was for a rescue, which was shown not to be a viable area to pursue. You are at the #1 priority for your rescue squad, the need for PPE.

Your postings have the areas that you need to expand in the narrative.

Problem: no or defective PPE
    Solution: purchase PPE for all memebers, establish protocal
    Financial: $15,000 budget

Now you need to expand on those topics to prove your case. The narrative must cover these 4 areas:

1) Proposed project w/budget detail
    2) Financial need
    3) Benefits that would result
    4) Extent to which the grant would enhance daily ops and/or how the grant positively impacts your ability to protect life & property.

Remember, any questions is a posting away. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

onebugle excellent point regarding his postings. Keen eye there dude! Rock on!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Man, onebugle is starting to look like a musketeer. That'd be 4!! Maybe if Dixie doesn't come up for a fresh tank of air soon, Bugle could fill in for her!!
    earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There's always room for another knight at the round table.

And we're the knights the say Ni! Which is some foreign language for 'there ain't enough money in this program'.

Roland, there's an outfit in your area that can give you free assistance and a fair price on PPE also. Or if you're feeling onry and want to pursue the app on your own, I've got several PPE narratives you can look at for ideas on my site: www.firegraphics.org. Link to the outfit is there also.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the compliment, Earl. After the dope slap yesterday (wife did it for me ), I think my brain finally re-engaged.

Thread Information