Forum Member

Default Fundraising Ideas

Anyone have anyone fundraising ideas?

My capt isnt to fond on the idea of pass the boot. He feels that its a fourm of begging. Tried to explain the logistics to him. That we provide the service to the community and they can help us out..

We have a funtion hall and are looking for ideas to get a regular gig in there. We already do an elderly dance every other week, but something else would be cool....

Any ideas?

Forum Member

Bingo, raffle, stew, barbeque, or chicken plate sale, rent out for parties on commission; the possibilites are endless.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Default fundraising

I'm on our way and means.
    It's hard to raise any money in a fire department.
    lol, I'm CEO of a successful company too!
    We do a couple of 'Fill the boots' last year, ne for us and one for Charity. (normally the Salvation Army EDS)
    I can see both points, it's a necessary evil, it doesn't look too good to the community if you're out there at all/too often but it's a quick money maker.

Other fundraisers could be, lottery calendar, 'a ticket'.
    Pool your resources. We worked with a Pizza company in the area and sold Pizza by the slice at our local community days... that worked great!

Think about your resources, who you cann work with and hat you can do - think outside the box.
    lol - lemme know if you havev any ideas!

Forum Member

You name it, we've tried it....back when wrestling and boxing were big we'd set up the big screens and have parties for big fights and sell food, do raffles, run tip boards, etc....now we have pretty good success with our "Daytona 500 Bash" and "Bristol Bash"...we do a golf scramble every fall...

Elimination dinners work, longaberger basket and boyd's bear bingo is big here now, and all kinds of possibilities as far a dinners go. Right now it's the season for fish fries.

Last summer we did an ATV poker run...that went over BIG, but that depends alot on what area you're in. Of cousre that won't work in the city or if state or locals laws completely prohibit ATV's from running on the street.

Gun raffles/gun shows...you can raffle anything...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

Our biggest fundraiser in the past couple of years have been comedy nights. Not much overhead just need to pay the comedian. Try getting local businesses to donate the food and drinks.

hoagie sales, pancake breakfasts, etc.

I believe that this same topic is being discussed in the volunteer forum.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have Easter and Mother’s Day coming up ...flower/plant sales…spring time bedding plants, just find a local grower, and see what you can work out.

We tried a Rose sale for Valentine’s Day – it’s going to turn out to be our “first annual” (went over well).

Pizza (Joe Corbi’s), don’t know where you are located, but WaWa (convenience store) will give you coupons for a profitable hoagie sale without the mess, Chicken Bar-B-Q (do you have other organizations in town to work with?), Seafood Fest, Texas Hold’em seems to be getting a lot of attention.

On top of making a few bucks, I’ll bet your community will appreciate your Department’s efforts at bringing everyone together for events

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a few of the fund raisers my department has used with directions on how they are "supposed" to work posted on my web page Fire Exec dot Com, dont know if you guys have tried them, but it couldnt hurt to look.
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

Forum Member

Default Gearbox Collectible Fire Trucks

Chicago Fire had Gearbox put together a collectible fire truck and sold them through local retailers, direct mail and the internet. Gearbox's program for custom licensed vehicles is supposed to be for Police rather than Fire, but hey why should cops get all the cool toys?

http://www.gearboxtoys.com/EXP27601.html

I've seen them at tradeshows talking about and setting up the collectible program with police departments and apparently they do a lot of it. We're thinking about pulling together a fire prevention funding package with them but haven't had time to work on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

One do a mailing and ask residents of the area and outlieing area if they would like to donate $5 or whatever to help recieve eqiupment or so on whatever you need . And recieve a photo of fire personel . Take a pic of the guys and girls in front of the trucks and use that as a pitch so to say.

Walmart and other businesses are always willing to donate once a year for a good cause , and send them in return a plaque or certificate of thank you .

Paint mailbox flags for a donation , there's tons of little or big things you can do.

Hold a car wash at the station for donations , or try a raffle of some sort , a mailing list works very very well . And raffle off a piece of old eqiupment lol or maybe soemthing nice that is bought .

That's all I an think of hope it helps.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

Spaghetti dinners with an auction are quick and fairly easy and make you good money.

We go to businesses in town asking them to donate something from there store or a service and then it is raffled off.

a word of warning stay the hell away from pancake breakfast they are a pain in the ***.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Spaghetti dinners work well in this area as well , another district does one once a year.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

Default Safety Walkthrough?

Just had another thought. Might be a bit to set up and I haven't seen it yet but there's a number of things that appeal about it:

Announce the following fundraiser, use direct mail, home improvement stores and the standard methods.

Offer a volunteer safety walkthrough housecall' for homeowners. Charge $60 or so for a firefighter to come by and spend 45 min or so changing the batteries in the smoke detectors (or pointing out where some should be installed), walking through the house with the homeowner pointing out possible fire hazards and talking with the kids about an escape plan/fire prevention. Take phone calls to set up appointments 2-3 weeks out so they can be consolidated into neighborhoods and done efficiently. Write out exactly what the service would include in advance so there's no confusion and to make sure everyones familiar with what they have to know and expert in what they're looking for.

It would be a cool kind of thing to be available free from the city, county or whatever but I'm guessing most public officials wouldn't be willing to fund it. I think that new homeowners, people remodeling and new parents would love it.

Am I way out of line here?

Forum Member

Default Fundraising publication

Here's a list too -

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/fa-141.pdf[/url]

Chapter 7 is Misc Fundraising ideas

Default 2007 Fundraiser

I'm a TV producer and this summer together with assistance of the FBI, LAPD, Nashville/Metro PD, child experts etc. produced a one-hour community
    safety DVD. "Kids & Strangers" (and others) is only available through groups, associations etc. as a fundraiser or community relations giveaway. It was totally funded by law enforcement associations. Great profit for FDs
    priced right for Christmas gifts for parents to buy for relatives, friends, etv.
    www.kidsandstrangers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuepimp View Post

My capt isnt to fond on the idea of pass the boot. He feels that its a fourm of begging. Tried to explain the logistics to him. That we provide the service to the community and they can help us out..

We have a funtion hall and are looking for ideas to get a regular gig in there. We already do an elderly dance every other week, but something else would be cool....

Any ideas?

Default Fundraising

I'm a TV producer and this summer together with assistance of the FBI, LAPD, Nashville/Metro PD, child experts etc. produced a one-hour community
    safety DVD. "Kids & Strangers" (and others) is only available through groups, associations etc. as a fundraiser or community relations giveaway. It was totally funded by law enforcement associations. Great profit for FDs
    priced right for Christmas gifts for parents to buy for relatives, friends, etv.
    www.kidsandstrangers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Co11FireGal View Post
    You name it, we've tried it....back when wrestling and boxing were big we'd set up the big screens and have parties for big fights and sell food, do raffles, run tip boards, etc....now we have pretty good success with our "Daytona 500 Bash" and "Bristol Bash"...we do a golf scramble every fall...

Elimination dinners work, longaberger basket and boyd's bear bingo is big here now, and all kinds of possibilities as far a dinners go. Right now it's the season for fish fries.

Last summer we did an ATV poker run...that went over BIG, but that depends alot on what area you're in. Of cousre that won't work in the city or if state or locals laws completely prohibit ATV's from running on the street.

Gun raffles/gun shows...you can raffle anything...

MembersZone Subscriber

ahhhemmm this thread was from almost two years ago.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Default Awesome Fundraiser - Works for us - $$$

Great products guys. This company sells BBQ sauce , Hot Sauce... All their products are designed exclusively for Fire Depts.

Check out their products. http://firefundraiser.com

Forum Member

Default Fund Raisers

We went to a golf tournament and do about $15,000 in a day with alot less work then a dance or a breakfast. We charge $100 for hole sponsorships where the buyer gets a sign on the tee-box, we have raffles, contests, and a silent auction, and one big drawing. It's alot of fun.

Then again I wonder why we are the only city department who has to raise money for things our local government should be providing? With increased run volumes and training demands it is very difficult get alot of help for labor intense fundraisers.

MembersZone Subscriber

O.K. - I haven't posted this one in a while because quite frankly I'm too lazy to type it all in & explain it *L* But I'm in a good mood today so here goes.

This one is used a lot by local groups like the Moose Lodge, Ruritan Clubs, and some FD & EMS agencies and they all do well.

This gig is a Dinner / Drawing type thing.

Step 1 - sell 99 Tickets for $100 each (not as bad as it sounds)

Step 2 - hire a caterer to fix dinner for 200 (plus your staff) go with something nice no Burgers, Dogs, or Spaghetti here.

Step 3 - If you want to have the "Social Hour" prior to dinner then talk to the local Liquor store about supplies for the bar. Your choice on Cash Bar or Open Bar but Open Bar seems to do better with ticket sales. Also - bad as it is to say - having the bar at all also seems to help with the on-site sales of side tickets (more later)

Step 4 - get yourself 100 numbered ping pong balls and a tumbler (or see if anyone has this in your area) This is actually so popular here - there is a guy that everyone gets to call the numbers & he brings the Tumbler & ping pong balls w/ him.

Step 5 - Build a board with some means of having numbers 1 - 100 on it in a removable fashion. If you think this is a 1 time deal a sheet of plywood, index cards, a sharpie, and a staple gun work fine. If you want to do this more than once you can make something a little fancier.

Note - in my section below on How to make extra money the day of the event - one idea may require additional board(s) like this one - depending on how you choose to handle the numbers.

Now - the whole deal works like this:
    Each ticket you sell entitles the purchaser to dinner for two and admission to the social hour if you choose to have one.

As the ticket holder enters the building they get to pick their number from 1 to 99 (first come - first pick).

If for any reason a ticket holder doesn't show up (it happens) then no ping pong ball gets added for them so by the time dinner starts you should have no more than 99 ping pong balls in the tumbler.

What about the 100th ball you ask? Well glad you did. During social hour, dinner and the drawing itself you have folks working the crowd. You sell chances for $1 each for a drawing to win the 100th ball. What's the catch? The catch is that you hold the drawing for the 100th ball when you are down to 9 balls left in the tumbler. So the winner of the 100th ball drawing (who may already otherwise be out of the running) is guaranteed a 1 in 10 shot at the grand prize. (Be sure to actually add the ball after you draw for a winner *L*)

Now the fun commences - the drawing.
    Typically there are prizes for various stages and it's up to you to decide (before hand) when & how much.

Ex - first ball out wins $50
    20th ball out get $100
    and so forth

Grand prize is whatever you want - $500 is good for ticket sales $1000 is better.

So at this point you have a gross take of $9,900 + the 100th ball raffle.

Now if you want to continue to maximize the income - you set up a side board (or two).

The side boards work like a 50/50 raffle. Each person comes up and picks a number on the board that they think will be the winning number at the end of the night (this includes the 100th ball). They DO NOT have to pick their own number.

Also - these boards only pay out half of what they take in so if you don't sell them all - your payout is less.

We typically set up 2 boards at $5 & $10.

So now your gross looks like this (provided you sell out everything)
    $9,900 in ticket sales
    $500 for $5 sideboard
    $1000 for $10 sideboard
    $ ?? ticket sales for 100th Ball

Our best showing we grossed just over $15,000 - after all prize payouts (that weren't donated back) and expenses - we then netted about $10,000.

Be warned - that looks like a pretty good take for "one nights work" but there is a LOT of ground work & set-up time involved in pulling this off.

Also we were fortunate enough to find a Liquor store that not only had a pre-made bar set-up packages - but they also agreed to take back any unopened bottles after the event and we payed for only what we used.

Now - some notes on things people will have issues with:

The Bar / Serving Alcohol

In our events the bar is ONLY open for the hour previous to dinner and NO MORE alcohol is served after that point - Period.

Dinner & drawing typically last anywhere from 2 to 3 hours so unless you have the "Two-fisters" really pounding them down, then having anyone drunk at the end of the night is usually not a problem.

However we reserve the right to monitor folks as they are leaving and suggest some folks not drive. We also have in the past notified Town PD of vehicle make & plate # if we suspect someone did not take our suggestion.

All of these actions have passed the QA test of our legal adviser to provide a measure of CYA if anything should happen, however you may want to check with your own legal eagles.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH !!!!!!!

I fell into it - another "Thread from the Dead" trap !!!!

Oh well - it's out there now may as well leave it.

Stooopid dead threads !!
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Most of our money was collected by direct mailing. We got much better response when we shifted from some decades old addressograph plates to computers. We systematically updated the mailing list by driving around with the map books through each box noting new addresses (lots of development in the area). We kept track of what came in and sent out either "Thank you" or "Second notices" as appropriate. Ran two mail funderaisers a year: one for fire and one for EMS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default We have a good one!

We have a Fire Department Thrift House. Its governed by a seperate board and has employees, but let me tell you it is a huge hit in our community. Its 501c3, its makes a ton of cash even after you pay the employees.

We had problems with a permanent location but once we got them into somthing that was owned and not rented it went well.

I don't have alto to do with it but I do reap alot of rewards as being a member of our Department. They pay for our Health club dues, Our Medflight insurance,(We live on an Island)banquets, rewards,training, you name it.

I can put you in touch with the people that are more involved with it if you email me.....jeremyt@portfridayharbor.org

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuepimp View Post

Any ideas?
    Well, you guys could try something like this: In addition to our regular weekly (Sunday) bingo, we are currently raffling off THREE Wii play stations in support of the purchase of a new Medic unit. I still have a bunch of tickets, 3.00 each or 2 for 5.00. Draw is Saturday, 1 March at 1100.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

www.medicfirstaid.com

Why not teach the public CPR and First Aid?
    Get set up thought MFA, they sell you the CPR Cards, you sell them to the public after you teach them. Charge $60 per person, helps people from the public.

SMK

Forum Member

Default another idea

How about http://www.CallinanEmergency.com?

Your dept could become an affiliate and sell subscriptions to property owners and receive a nice commission. Each year they renew, you get another commission! This services the community and you make some money for the dept at the same time.

Thread Information