Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Virginia--State Trooper Accidentally Shot At Accident Scene

A very bizarre accident:

Trooper killed when gun in truck goes off

The Associated Press Feb 19, 2006

A Virginia State Police trooper was killed yesterday when a gun inside a vehicle being moved after a wreck discharged, striking him in the chest, police said.

The trooper has not been identified, pending family notification.

Police said two troopers responded to a single-vehicle crash just after noon on state Route 649 in Clarke County. Two occupants in the pickup truck were arrested at the scene on alcohol-related charges, state police said in a news release.

As the damaged truck was being moved shortly before 2 p.m., a gun inside it went off, striking one of the troopers. The other trooper was not injured.

The injured trooper was flown to Inova-Fairfax Hospital, where he died about 2:45 p.m., police said.

State police investigators retrieved the gun. The Clarke County Sheriff's Office assisted state police with the investigation, which was continuing last night.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

This is sad. My thoughts go out to his family.

I'm sure a lot will say it was a freak accident, but my first thought is that this whole thing would probably have been avoided if the bloody gun was transported unloaded and safe. I would be interested to know more about the incident. For sheer curiosities sake; Hangun, Rifle, Legal/Illegal Firearm?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

I'll be interested to see if they try and bring charges against the driver, or owner of the gun for not transporting it safe/legally.

I'm guessing the owner of the gun will be charged with killing an officer he's probably gonna be in jail for quite awhile.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Trooper Down

Well the initial reports come in as shots fired officer down... They did not have anything more than that it was silence for a few minutes.... Course that is the worst thing. Originally it was thought that the shooting was intentional...nothing more to it than that. very unfortunate to see something like this happen. I have several friends in Clarke county Sherrifs Dept and the Town of Berryville, VA. Va has some very open gun laws which permit us to carry openly. These guys have obviously abused the law and carrying a weapon while under influence. Kinda hits close to home!

Default Sad

One of my best friends, and also a FD member married a Trooper. It makes you think about how anything can happen out there. It could happen to anyone at any time. My prayers go out to the family.

Forum Member

Man, that is strange. Wonder why it went off.

I was doing an overhaul once on a structure that had sustained significant damge at an o-dark-30 fire. A buddy was having difficulty moving a large pile of debris and was using a pipe sticking up out of the mess for leverage. He was giving up on moving the 5 foot high pile when he simply climbed up on it and started to try and pull the pipe out of the way. Turned out the pipe was one of several shotguns and rifles the homeowner had stacked in the corner. If it had been chambered, we would have certainly been hit had it gone off. Gave me one of those screwy feelings for a while when you realize that you could've just bought it.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy Happens Everywhere............

We've had 2 close calls with guns (that I know of) in the DC area lately. On one, After removing the driver of a vehicle that had been in a serious collision, a handgun was found on the seat where he had been sitting. The other involved a shooting victim who was adamant that he wasn't going to the hospital without his jacket. When a crewmember moved his jacket, a handgun fell out of a pocket. We watch ourselves VERY closely........

And we extend our sympathies and condolences to the Troopers Family, friends, and the VSP.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Assume guns are everywhere at anytime.

Back to this incident... very sad. Bizarre
    Last edited by Resq14; 02-20-2006 at 06:38 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Talk about weird carma or just plain $hitty luck. When your number is called, there is no appeal process.

I'm sure they will hang the driver from the highest tree, and well deserved too.

My thoughts go out to the family and friends. Sad deal.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Updated Information

Article from the Winchester Virginia Star. Other media reports state the gun was a rifle, calibre and type unknown.

As troopers with the Virginia State Police continue to mourn one of their own, two West Virginians face alcohol and gun charges for the accident that led to his death.

Trooper Kevin C. Manion, 27, will be honored and remembered on Wednesday at a funeral in Clifton Forge.

He died on Saturday after a gun in a wrecked pickup truck discharged while the vehicle was being moved.

Manion, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, had been investigating a single-vehicle crash on Frogtown Road in Clarke County, about four miles from U.S. 50.

The bullet struck an unprotected area of his chest, near his arm, said Corinne Geller, a spokeswoman for the state police.

Manion was airlifted to Inova Fairfax Hospital, where he died at 2:45 p.m. on Saturday.

David Ellis Ferrebee, the driver of the wrecked Ford Ranger truck, has been charged with driving under the influence, possessing a firearm after being convicted of a felony, grand larceny of a firearm, and burglary, according to officials at the Northwestern Regional Adult Detention Center.

Geller would not comment on Ferrebee’s criminal history, saying she was not permitted to release such information.

Ferrebee, 58, of Charles Town, W.Va., was being held in the jail on Monday afternoon, jail officials said.

Belinda K. Brown, 38, the passenger in the car, was charged with being drunk in public after the accident.

She was arrested and held at the jail until Sunday, when she was released on an unsecured bond, jail officials said.

Brown is from Summit Point, W.Va., according to a press release from the state police.

State Police investigators and the Clarke County Sheriff’s Office are continuing to investigate the shooting. “Any additional charges are pending the outcome of the investigation,” a press release stated.

It makes you think about how anything can happen out there. It could happen to anyone at any time.
    Aint that the truth! Talk about a case of bad luck....
    Luke

Thread Information