Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Iowa Volunteer Fire Departments

Anybody know of a web site that lists Iowa VFD's?

I'm a NREMT-B thinking aboout moving back home to the Marshalltown area & would like to get on a VFD along with a paying job on a ambulance service of some kind.

Ive got aprox 4 years expercience on a rather busy VFD here and 3 as a EMT.

Forum Member

i got this off of the marshalltown website. it is: http://www.ci.marshalltown.ia.us/

On July 25th, the City Council unanimously approved the appointment of a committee to study our delivery of public safety services in the Fire Department.

For the past several years, the cityís cost for personnel has been growing at a rate that is greater than the rate that the tax base has grown. State law limits the growth of the funds that the city uses to pay salaries. That growth has been less than the inflation rate for many years. Our personnel costs have been increasing at more than the rate of inflation over the same time. Positions have been eliminated or scaled back in all areas of city government.

The Committee has gone through several sessions to learn about aspects of our fire department and its operations. They have considered a variety of questions to ask other fire departments in order to evaluate the best future for our fire department.

The committee is not considering an all-volunteer fire department. They are surveying fire departments, which use a combination of fulltime firefighters supplemented with part-time firefighters.

The committee is very concerned about the quality of our fire services. They want to look only at ways of maintaining or improving fire services for Marshalltown. By maintaining or improving fire protection, insurance rates will not be adversely affected.

Can we learn from other cities? Of course we can. If we donít do that, we fail to serve our taxpayers in the way that they should expect.

At this point in time, nobody can predict what the committee will find in its study. I think that we should be thankful that five members of the community have been willing to take the time to study this critical service with a goal of seeing if there are better ways of doing things.

Richard Hierstein

City Administrator

what makes you want to move back to iowa? there's not a thing to do here

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jakebty
    i got this off of the marshalltown website. it is:
    what makes you want to move back to iowa? there's not a thing to do here
    Have family in M-Town & things are not very good job wise here I'd rather be back home. Dad told me about the link you posted, if M-town goes combo I'd love to apply there.

I have no idea if there are any VFD's in that area though.

Besides, I miss Iowa strange as that sounds

Ahh, yes...nothing like coming home after being away for a while.

Not sure how close you want to live to Marshalltown, but Nevada has a pretty active department with nice equipment...it's only a 30 minute drive from Marshalltown. Colo is close by and I have heard they have pretty good stuff.

Bondurant, Ankeny, Altoona and Tama are some other places within a short drive that have pretty nice departments. Just do a google search on some of those cities...most of the city websites have links to their fire departments.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

MembersZone Subscriber

Does not matter exactly where we live in the area, just someplace we can get jobs as the wife is a teachers aid & while my military career delt with security I'd immagine there are not many security jobs in the area other than the ocasional mall ninja Figure I can get a job on a ambulance service someplace to help pay the bills

Our oldest daughter wants to be a vet & Ames has a excellent vet college but I'll still be a Hawkeye fan

Thanks for the tips, time to do some more research!!!

I am on with Bondurant, if you are still looking for a PoC Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    Anybody know of a web site that lists Iowa VFD's?

I'm a NREMT-B thinking aboout moving back home to the Marshalltown area & would like to get on a VFD along with a paying job on a ambulance service of some kind.

Ive got aprox 4 years expercience on a rather busy VFD here and 3 as a EMT.

http://www.iafireassn.org/members.htm

Thread Information