Thread: Fort Worth 2006

Forum Member

Default Fort Worth 2006

Does anyone know if Fort Worth is going to test in 2006?

Alan

Forum Member

They should be testing again... then again, you never know. I processed on the past list and fell short by some weird array of civil service procedure... they took the top 75 to process for the first class of 24... they hired 24 and then cleared the rest of the top 75 from the list. They then pulled another 75 for the next class of 16 (from what I know). Apparently once you've processed for one class you are no longer eligible for another class. No rhime or reason was given to us.

However, from staffing considerations and retirements, they should be testing again (according to some current FF's). FW is a great place to work and no matter how the past list went down, I'll be there again, trying if nothing else!

Forum Member

Default re: fort worth 2006

I'm with you. I'll be there this time. I've had to pass up the last few times out of courtesy to my current dept. I knew they were making 2 classes off this last list I just didn't know if that was going to be it for a few years or if they were looking at testing again in 2006.

Forum Member

My dream is to work in Fort Worth someday. I made it to the oral board last time but got shot down. Chief Marshall (hiring) said they should test again in the fall '06 or spring '07. I too have heard it's a wonderful place to work. See you at the next test.

Forum Member

What reason did they give you for not making it past the oral board?? Just want to see how it matches to mine.

Forum Member

Default thx

Thanks for all the replies.

So fall of '06 or spring of '07. That's awesome, thanks Trent. I guess if anyone would know it would be a chief over hiring.

Forum Member

Trent808- What was the physical agility like? I looked at the website and 6 items in 5:30 seems like you have to get after it pretty fast in order to make the time. What was the hardest part of it? Was there a point where people just 'hit the wall'?

I'm kind of skinny (5-10, 160) so I'm trying to figure if I need to build some muscle mass before hand.

Thanks, Alan

Forum Member

The physical wasn't the toughest thing I've ever done, but it wasn't the easiest. Lower body strength is the biggest thing to concentrate on for this event... since the charged hose drag and dummy drag are right after the tower climb (5 stories if I remember). The hardest thing with FW is getting to the physical... the written isn't all that hard, but when your testing with thousands of people and they only pull 150 to process every year (if that), you have to score high and draw a 'lucky low' number. Cause if you don't, you're SOL.

Forum Member

I agree with HonorTheFallen, lower body strength is the key. I am focusing on my legs right now for the future. I am also skinny 6' 175, but if you work out and do some running, and run bleachers, just be in good shape you won't have anything to worry about. The first 3 events are cake, but the tower is hard on your legs, then the hose drag is all legs, so when you get to the dummy (all legs) your pretty tired. Trust me, it's harder than it looks but out of the 74 people, only about 5 or 6 failed. They give you a practice run about a month before the real deal. Avg time was about 4:15.

Forum Member

They basically said that they though I was too immature because of a few little things in my background that I did in college, but that it shouldn't hurt me in the future. They said I just need a little time in between because I just graduated college in May '05. What about you HonorTheFallen? I'd love to talk to you more about this, send me an email trent_808@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Trent, sent you an email with more details on my process. Hollar at me when you get a chance.

Thread Information