Thread: Class B Foam

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Class B Foam

Looking for info on the best Class B foam to put out methanol fires at a race track, i'm on a fire crew for the local race club. We have found this product called ''Coldfire'' and from the info on the site it looks like a good product, but want to explore all options. We have also been told to use AR-FFF foam. Any suggestions on what works well for Alcohol fires.

need the goods, bads, and otherwise on this stuff

bsimmons332@yahoo.com

Forum Member

ColdFire has always sounded like snake oil to me...

Something interesting from there MSDS sheet (which says the chemical is trade secret):

Boiling Point: 212 F.
    Vapor Pressure (mm Hg): Same as water.
    Solubility in water: 100%
    Specific Gravity: 1.02 @ 60 F.
    Appearance and Odor: Clear liquid, fresh smell.

Hmmm, something that is a trade secret that acts by cooling a fire and has all the same physical properties of water...

Under the best light, it sounds like some sort of surfacant to reduce surface tension (Class A foam).

It certainly will help put out an alcohol fire, because one tactic is to flood an alcohol fire to dilute the alcohol (of course, that can spread the fire initially until it is sufficiently diluted).

I can't offer much advice on the direct question of what to use at a race track. In my world, with a 1200 gallon booster tank on our 1st due engine, if for some odd reason someone had one of these catch on fire in our district, I'd probably just blow off a dry chem to knock the fire down then flood the area with Class A foam just because we could. (The Class A will form a mechanical seal. The concern with Alcohol with both Film Forming Foams and mechanical Foams is the alcohol dissolves the foam blanket / film faster than their normal rate of degrading)

Forum Member

Until recently I was working on the crash crew at my local speedway and I used primarily Ansulite ARC 3% / 6% AFFF. This provided what we were looking for in a general use foam for different types of cars.

We also use this at my FD. We had great experience with this foam while on a tanker fire incident about 3 years ago.
    Stupid People.......Providing Job Security to Public Safety Professionals for ........forever

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterbeau
    Looking for info on the best Class B foam to put out methanol fires at a race track, i'm on a fire crew for the local race club. We have found this product called ''Coldfire'' and from the info on the site it looks like a good product, but want to explore all options. We have also been told to use AR-FFF foam. Any suggestions on what works well for Alcohol fires.

need the goods, bads, and otherwise on this stuff

bsimmons332@yahoo.com

Use only an AR-AFFF concentrate, and you'll save lots of time and money.

Buy a good 1x3 or 3x3, and reduce how much you carry vs using a 3x6.

National Foam Universal Gold has the best UL listings, but depending on your system, it might be to thick. Small Foam Pro systems sometimes have a fit with it.

Angus Niagra is great too, and has low viscosity, able to run in any system and at below freezing temperatures.

FYI, Coldfire is a wetting agent/Emulsifier. It simply mixes with the fuel instead of isolating it via a secure blanket. If you use it, it might be just as effective to use water and dilute the Elcohols below their flash.

JT

Thread Information