Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Rhode Island PPA test

I'm planning to take the RI ppa in April. I've been working out for the past few months. Has anyone out there taken this test? Does anyone have any tips? I've read about the 5 evolutions, the toughest one seems like the rescue drag. Also, the time limit is 6 minutes. Does faster mean a better ranking on the list? Thanks.

Forum Member

So is the RI test a stair climb, hose hoist, forcible entry, hose advance, and dumy drag?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, it's all that.

Forum Member

Well my friend that is a thing called the Firefighters Combat Challenge. Most of these type of tests are pass/fail things. I did not know that RI was using this test, that is also a game competed all across the US and Canada, to get into the career service. Most states are using the IAFF/IAFC test instead. I have finished the Challenge in under 3:30 several times, and I joined the fire service about a week after you were born. I can give you info on this event if you would like, just sent me an email (fitguy51@yahoo.com). The Providence FD has a Challenge team that might be able to help you. I am sure that they are closer, as I am near Albany,NY.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been in contact with a Lt. from Leominster fire in Massachusetts. He has been a participant in the combat challenge for many years. He is also the coach for the Providence, RI team. The team will be starting up their training for the season in April, I'm going to join them. I will be taking the practice test for the RI pat on April 1, then the actual test on April 29. ttul

Forum Member

Chuck is a great guy. He and I got started at the same event back in 1993. Last year he and I did a Tandem Challenge Relay in Florida last May.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Rhode Island Test ... "The Beacon"

In RI, we call it "The Beacon", named for the insurance company that hosts it. The evolutions are as listed above and you get 6 minutes to pass. It is generally a pass/fail event, and it's offered 2x a year. You get a pass/fail certificate that is good for one year, which you can use when you apply for various fire departments. Some FD's may require your certificate to be not more than 6 months old, so a lot of people generally take The Beacon every 6 months. I have not personally heard of any department looking at the time it took you to complete the test, maybe if it was needd for a tie-breaker. Most depts just want to see that you passed the test. I think the only 2 depts that don't take The Beacon are Providence and Warwick. They run pretty much the same test, but separate from the 2x a year that The Beacon hosts it.
    "Greater love has no man, than that he would lay his life down for a friend..."

Thread Information