Forum Member

Default Free It's Your Turn in the Hot Seat Seminar!

Beat the Odds! Get a Badge.

Captain Steve Prziborowski, Fire Technology Coordinator at Chabot will host Captain Bob for a FREE seminar presentation titled; It's Your Turn in the Hot Seat. What are You Going to do to Stun the Oral Board into Giving you the Badge! At Chabot College in Hayward (CA) March 1, 2006.

You’ve spent time, money and put your life on hold to gain the necessary education and experience to become a firefighter. Your oral board will determine the future. It’s game day. You have around 20 minutes to stun the oral board into giving you the opportunity to ride big red.

Are you ready to sit in the hot seat and see what you’ve got?

At the Chabot Seminar on March 1, 2006, with Captain Bob, you can gain the time-tested strategies of oral boards you might be missing. In a no-nonsense, straight-from-the-hip -- in a total of 2+ hours! --you will gain more information and insights than most candidates learn from years of testing.

DATE: Wednesday March 1, 2006

TIME: 6 pm to 8 pm

This seminar is hosted by Captain Steve Prziborowski, Fire Technology Coordinator at Chabot. If you’re planning on attending please RSVP sprziborowski@chabotcollege.edu to reserve a spot.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are serious about getting that TRUE competitive edge over your competition, then this FREE seminar is must !!! It will be the best two hours you have spent in preparing to become a firefighter. The experience and insight that Capt. Bob has in preparing firefighter applicants for oral interviews is priceless.

Now its up to you. How bad do you really want this job ?? If you want bad enough you will be there.

Brent Collins is an Assistant Fire Chief with the Cleveland Fire Department and President of Don McNea Fire School. Go to www.fireprep.com for more information on test taking strategy and advice.

You can find more on testing secrets by Chief Collins in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi Chief Lepore or Capt Bob, I won't be able to attend the seminar since on the east coast but just wanted to ask a question to you about an oral board question I received last month. I just got a letter yesterday stating that I didn't score high enough, but just barely missed it. Anyway, I am sure of which question that was asked was the killer, and it was "Your a rookie, and your assignment is to do a search for victims and fire extension in a 3 story wood frame home, your Captain tells you and your partner to start immediately on arrival after size up, but you notice rapidly deteriorating conditions and the building appears to be unsafe, what do you do?"

I researched the answer and some oral board tips, but a lot of the answers were different. On the interview, I said that as a rookie then go with what the Captain said to do, since he's got more experience on the fire ground so he would know when a building looked unsafe to work in. But after I answered I noticed they weren't going on to the next question but were changing the scenarios to "What if you were an experienced firefighter instead of a rookie?" and questions like that. Just wanted to know if I had answered the question wrong and what would have been a better answer?
    Last edited by ffman02; 02-25-2006 at 08:07 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

And don't forget, the books and videos of cap'n bobby will be on sale!

Shameless self-promotion is not professional.

Forum Member

Default George doesn't follow Capt Bob around, he said so

ffman2,
    That question is one that will come up in many different ways.

One of the first things I would tell the panel is I would make sure my Captain has seen what I see. It is very hard for anyone to see everything and if the first in captain is presented with a fire and a rescue he may let a few things slip as he tries to deal with the fire, rescue and assigning incoming units.

I would also go through a mental list of all of the things I could do to get around this obstacle. “Can we enter the structure a different way?”, “Can we get to the trapped people through a window, use a ladder, or cut right through the wall to get them?”, also to make the statement that there may be other crews performing an action that may make the problem go away would be good.

Having the panel ask you follow up questions to see how you would handle it in different circumstances doesn’t mean you got the question wrong. They very well may have done that with everyone, no matter what they said. It is not uncommon for a panel to see if they can get you to change your mind, even if you’re right.

The bottom line here though is that we never want to do something that is guaranteed to get us hurt or killed. When there is a rescue "the gloves come off", but within reason. The motto “I will sacrifice a little to save a little, A lot to save a lot, and nothing to save what cannot be saved” applies here. I would tell them that if myself and my partner get hurt or trapped, we have only made the situation worse.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    www.myfireinterview.com
    707 869 1330
    Last edited by FFighterRob; 02-25-2006 at 10:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

George,
    Your rantings and ravings are getting REALLY OLD. Again, I will reiterate that I do not agree with Bob and Rob on a lot of issues. I also agree that I don’t care for self-promotion. As I have mentioned on a previous post, I moderate the www.Firecareers.com site and I have strict rules against such conduct. As you have pointed out the moderators on this site are much more liberal.

While I disagree with some of the things Bob does, you are slamming a guy for hosting a FREE seminar. There is absolutely NO self-promotion in THIS post. Moreover, an aspiring firefighter asks a legitimate question and you are criticizing Bob.

Instead of criticizing, what are you doing to contribute? Let’s hear your answer to the question.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore
    George,
    Your rantings and ravings are getting REALLY OLD. Again, I will reiterate that I do not agree with Bob and Rob on a lot of issues. I also agree that I don’t care for self-promotion. As I have mentioned on a previous post, I moderate the www.Firecareers.com site and I have strict rules against such conduct. As you have pointed out the moderators on this site are much more liberal.

While I disagree with some of the things Bob does, you are slamming a guy for hosting a FREE seminar. There is absolutely NO self-promotion in THIS post. Moreover, an aspiring firefighter asks a legitimate question and you are criticizing Bob.

Instead of criticizing, what are you doing to contribute? Let’s hear your answer to the question.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    You have quite the imagination there,, Paul. You read a whole lot into one little post. Couple of things that are FACTS:

1. I DID NOT criticize the guy hosting the seminar.
    2. Posting an advertisement that you will be speaking at a seminar-free or not- is shameless self promotion.
    3. It was a mere coincidence that the FF asked a question of specific people prior to my post.
    4. I report cap'n bobby's violations of the TOS to the WT every time he does it. They have chosen to ignore me.
    5. I am tired of answering the question about "what are you doing for the good of the order. You don't know what I do. Do you want to know why? Because I feel no need to advertise what I do to help young people in my field.

Forum Member

Angry

George.. As a newer member and scaning the threads I've noticed that you sort of sit back and lob insults when people are out there trying to help other people. A person with the amount of posts and replies and people ignore you....I'd think that the light should have come on that you are doing a disservice to this web sight and should take your rath some where else.
    Respectfully Submitted,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    "You never get a second chance at a first impression"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley
    George.. As a newer member and scaning the threads I've noticed that you sort of sit back and lob insults when people are out there trying to help other people. A person with the amount of posts and replies and people ignore you....I'd think that the light should have come on that you are doing a disservice to this web sight and should take your rath some where else.
    Respectfully Submitted,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    As a member with about 6500 more posts than you, I've noticed that you have no idea what you are talking about. These folks to whom you are refering, remind me of the Y2K doomsday people. They knew all the problems and had all the answers. They would save humanity from the depths of hell that would occur on 12/31/1999...just as long as you bought their book.

Same thing here. Just a different issue. I'd think that the light should have come on that you are doing a disservice to this web site by stikcing your nose where it doesn't belong.

MembersZone Subscriber

George,
    I find it entertaining that I am sticking up for someone I really don’t see eye to eye with (I am referring to Bob). Having said that, I will always tell someone when they are out of line. You my friend are out of line.

“Shameless self-promotion is not professional.”

George, that’s a criticism where I come from.

2. Posting an advertisement that you will be speaking at a seminar-free or not- is shameless self promotion.

A free seminar and you’re criticizing the guy?….give me a break

3. It was a mere coincidence that the FF asked a question of specific people prior to my post.

Are you kidding me? This makes absolutely NO sense.
    By the way, nice job putting an end to a good thread.

4. I report cap'n bobby's violations of the TOS to the WT every time he does it. They have chosen to ignore me.

Maybe they’re tired of listening to you. The louder you complain, the less people listen.

5. I am tired of answering the question about "what are you doing for the good of the order. You don't know what I do. Do you want to know why? Because I feel no need to advertise what I do to help young people in my field.

If you are tired of answering the above question, maybe your delivery is wrong. Do you ever wonder why people keep asking you that question?

Life is not that bad. Take a deep breath and enjoy it!
    Last edited by BCLepore; 02-26-2006 at 02:37 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore
    George,
    I find it entertaining that I am sticking up for someone I really don’t see eye to eye with (I am referring to Bob). Having said that, I will always tell someone when they are out of line. You my friend are out of line.

“Shameless self-promotion is not professional.”

George, that’s a criticism where I come from.

A free seminar and you’re criticizing the guy?….give me a break

Are you kidding me? This makes absolutely NO sense.
    By the way, nice job putting an end to a good thread.

Maybe they’re tired of listening to you. The louder you complain, the less people listen.

If you are tired of answering the above question, maybe your delivery is wrong. Do you ever wonder why people keep asking you that question?

Life is not that bad. Take a deep breath and enjoy it!
    The only part of this post that I agree with is that life is good. Life is VERY good.

1. I guess reading is not one of your strong points.
    Captain Steve Prziborowski, Fire Technology Coordinator at Chabot will host...
    2. I speak at fire related seminars several times a month. So do numerous other people on these forums. You do not see them trumpeting their every move. Why? Because it is shameless self-promotion. If its not self promotion, leave out the website and the blurb about your books. That is the reason he does this. And that is OK. My problem is his blatant flaunting of the TOS.
    3. My first post was about one hour after the question was asked. I posted in reference to the initial thread post. That makes that question a mere coincidence. Had I read that question, I would have tried to dissuade him from seeking advice from someone who frequently provides bad information. I know we agree on that part.
    4. I think the WT is listening. I see a difference between the way he posts now and the way he used to post. The only problem is that he still breaks the rules. If the WT wants me to stop, they will tell me.
    5. I guess I misworded my point here. I should have said that I am tired of hearing this question. You don't know what I do. Do you want to know why? Because I feel no need to advertise what I do to help young people in my field. If you are truly "helping people" there is no need to shout it from the rooftops.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks FFirefighter Rob a lot for your reply. I was thinking that maybe it could have been the wrong response and the reason I thought that was because of the way the panel wasn't moving on to the next question, after my response they were waiting for me to add to it or change my whole response, so I just went with what I thought would be right in since Im the rookie to follow the more experienced Captain. But I think you said EXACTLY what they wanted me to say in "Does the Captain see what I see?" and "Is there other ways to trap the victims?" or "Save a lot, risk a little" or "save a little, risk a lot" Do you sit on an oral board for your dept?

Forum Member

Angry

Georgie, Georgie.......Someone with 6,000 more post then me doesn't make you smart. I choose my battles and you do not. You throw dirt when the mood strikes you. The 6,500 post shows that. People who write books do so to help others and charge for them. That's what makes it the american way.So sling your mud from Jersey and we who want to help those who ask for help will get it from me, Capt. Bob , FF Rob , Chief Lepore or anyone else who wants to help out. So like Chief Lepore says"Take a breath" and get off your holier than thou perch and let those who want to help help.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    31+years of service
    That includes you Georgie!!

Forum Member

ffman02,
    I am glad I was able to help you.

I don’t sit on interview panels any more, for a few reasons. First of all I work a regular Kelly schedule as a firefighter. I also coach people on most of my days off. That leaves little time for my family, golf and cleaning out the gutters.

I also think it could be seen as a conflict of interest. Taking money from people to help them test and then being the evaluator could be taken the wrong way. I’m sure that those who do are more than fair, but say I was to sit on boards and then most of the class were people I coached, how would that look. It would just take one unhappy person to stir it up.

Also I think I might end up being a little harder on people that I worked with, because I would know how good they should be. Lastly I don’t want to mess anybody up. Imagine if I coached you, you shared you feelings, asked about problems you had had, and we formed that trust and bond that happens when I work with people. Then you get yourself all psyched up for your interview, and when you walk in there I am sitting there. It might be O.K. but it might be that little surprise that begins a downhill slide. Everyone should do all they can to avoid any surprises during their interview, they are stressful enough.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    www.myfireinterview.com
    707 869 1330

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley
    Georgie, Georgie.......Someone with 6,000 more post then me doesn't make you smart. I choose my battles and you do not. You throw dirt when the mood strikes you. The 6,500 post shows that. People who write books do so to help others and charge for them. That's what makes it the american way.So sling your mud from Jersey and we who want to help those who ask for help will get it from me, Capt. Bob , FF Rob , Chief Lepore or anyone else who wants to help out. So like Chief Lepore says"Take a breath" and get off your holier than thou perch and let those who want to help help.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    31+years of service
    That includes you Georgie!!
    As I said before, you do not know me nor do you know what I do to help kids get into this field. The reason you do not know is because I do not advertise it. There are other ways to help besides advertising my books and tapes on an Internet website.

I absolutely do not begrudge anyone charging for their product. That is what may be misinterpreted here. One of my two bones of contention with some on here is their blatant abuse of the TOS in marketing their wares. The free enterprise system is a wonderful thing. Hard work and perserverence should win you lots of reward.

I am also no better than anyone else. Never said I was. BTW, how did you have time to read all 6500 of my posts? You must be a Superman or something.

Forum Member

George,

Yes Paul and I don't always see eye to eye but I have a deep respect for anyone that helps fire candidates get the job of their dreams.

One thing I have learned about Paul is he will take a stand on those things he believes.

Actually if I were Paul I would feel a little slighted because George hasn’t assigned him a nick name yet. Mine is “Captain Bobby”. My son Rob is “Skippy”.

This from a previous posting:
    so let me let you in on a little secret about our beloved Norm (George). He is one of the most arrogant, pig headed, and stubborn people I've ever met on FH.com. He loves to argue, and thinks he's never wrong. And he can be a tad abrasive at times.
    From another posting:

We have differences. We have heard your opinion more than once.
    Is this Firehouse.com, or “Don’t disagree with George.com”?
    Still more:

Making a negative post about someone who is genuinely interested in HELPING OTHERS REALIZE THEIR DREAM is ignorant! What's the MOTIVATION for following someone around, lurking after them on this board and studying their posts and then saying something negative about them. Unbelievable the energy some people in this forum go to looking, searching, digging, tunnel, sonar, (get the point?) trying to condradict or catch someone on something. Show a little respect.

The original posting here was to announce a free college program to help candidates in their pursuit for a badge.

Captain Bobby

MembersZone Subscriber

cap'n bobby:

jeepers, resorting to posting other people's personal attacks on me? Why don't you think of some of your own? You don't seem to have a problem violating the TOS every time you get a chance.

Let's get this straight, one more time. I'll type slowly so you can understand it:

I don't care if you make a bazillion dollars with your business of consulting on getting FF a job. I hope you sell thousands of copies of your books and videos. I hope you are extremely succesful. That is what the free enterprise system is all about.

My two problems with you are quite simple:
    1. You violate the TOS by marketing your business on the forums. Others have been kicked off or warned for the same thing. You apparently have immunity from the WT. Why? We know why.

2. You advocate that the end justifies the means. You, in the past, have advocated that kids wanting to be FF learn how to beat a polygraph, provide less than truthful information on their applications and understand that the truth is not something that should be shared willingly. That is wrong and, if caught, a kid will lose the very dream you claim to help them gain.

When you do 1 or 2, rest assured, I will be here to call you on it.

Thread Information