MembersZone Subscriber

Default What interface engine is a standout?

There are many companies building interface engines on the International Chassis at this time. Its very hard to pick the outstanding appratus from this crowded field.

Any thougths as to who makes the ultimate interface engine on the international chassis?

-Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

We have one of the California OES spec engines and while the build quality is terrible, the concept is a good one. Basically it is a 14 foot body on a short 4-door custom cab, that way you get something that is as short as it can be, still carry a full crew and still carry full size ladders.

Since we are in California the State is responsible for wildland fire protection anyway so it would not be a good use of local taxpayer dollars for us to build a rig to do that too since the people already pay their state taxes.

I am not a big fan of conventionals because of all the wasted wheelbase in that long nose. If you are going to build something like your picture then I guess it's OK but you would be better off to shorten the cab and lengthen the body, same wheelbase, more useful truck.

Birken

MembersZone Subscriber

I would like to see some pics of your truck. I do like the idea of a custom/shorter cab. You said that you were not happy witht he build quality though.

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

MembersZone Subscriber

Who built your rig by the way?

Forum Member

It is similar to this:

http://www.fire.ca.gov/php/fire_er_c...ds/Model18.pdf

and this:

http://www.fire.ca.gov/php/fire_er_c...ds/Model19.pdf

except ours has a tunnel for the ladders thru the tank which I like. I also do not like the 800 gallons because it is too high and top heavy, 500 has always done us fine in the past and would make the engine more of a normal size.

Birken

Forum Member

Default Interface Engine ?

Why not take a look at the Riverside County MF (Multi-Functional) Engines that Smeal has delivered and built about 50 so far under a multi-year contract? Go to their website www.smeal.com and you can see the features/advantages.

The RCFD wanted to combine the features of a Type I, II & III to handle all types of calls from MVA's, Medical, Structural and Wildland Interface.

They are on a Spartan Sierra SMFD (Short Medium 4 Door) with a 160" WB, 26 ft. OAL with a 22 deg angle of approach/departure for off road use and have a lot of features including full compartmentation on both sides, Hydraulic Ladder Rack with 35/14/10 ft. ladders, Waterous CSUY2000 GPM Pump, Separate 300 GPM Diesel Engine Pump for Pump & Roll as well as 500 or 750 G water and 50 G foam cell.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    There are many companies building interface engines on the International Chassis at this time. Its very hard to pick the outstanding appratus from this crowded field.

Any thougths as to who makes the ultimate interface engine on the international chassis?

Take a look at ( Pierce ) and also ( Central States ) " Timber Wolf " 4x4

MembersZone Subscriber

That is actually the Timberwolf pictured. It was built at the Rosenbauer General Division. They are a very cool truck and and very well built. It was my department's second choice when purchasing, but they decided to stick with structural truck only.

I just looked at their webpage and it looks like they have a demo floating around somewhere.

Anyway, I'm not going to say much more because I know NPFD801 will jump in here shortly. He can tell you first hand what he thinks of his.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sutphen Wildland

This unit was built at Sutphen's facility in New York recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

***DISCLAIMER - I sell this brand now, but did not when we purchased our rig***

I love ours. The concept itself is pretty fantastic, regardless of who builds it, but we felt that we had some real advantages in going with General and the PTO driven pump. We continually grow into our unit, the build quality of the body is fantastic, and we do very well with it. I won't get too far into this for the simple reason that no matter what I say, it will be seen as biased, but I would strongly encourage anyone looking to buy a rig of this type to consider Rosenbauer. Central States has also built similar units, but the Timberwolf is General's baby.

Flame if you wish, but at least I'm telling you up front who I rep for.
    Last edited by npfd801; 02-23-2006 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Duh! Grammar...

Forum Member

Boise Mobile Equipment is a prime supplier and innovator in this type of unit. I strongly suggest that you contact them.

Boise Mobile
    Last edited by buckdog; 02-23-2006 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Forgot link

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Get it with a rollbar

According to Mike Wilbur's latest FH.com presentation, commercial chassis don't do too well in a rollover. In most cases the commercial cabs are crushed down to the dash. These high centered 4x4 chassis are even more prone to rollovers. Any mfgs make a custom built cab for these trucks?

Forum Member

Default Interface Apparatus

I agree with Captain 7 that the 4x4 Wildlands on a Commercial do have a higher CG and are more prone to a roll over situation and I've seen a couple of 4 door Commercial Cabs flattened right to the dash but luckily the crew weren't killed but did suffer some injuries.

There are a number of Custom cab and chassis 4 x 4 models available and the Riverside County Spartan Sierra MF Engines had a remarkable 28.4 deg / 54% slope tilt table test performance for which a Type I Engine was really remarkable as most driver's don't operate beyond 15 deg. They needed tand as they do respond to CDF Wildland and Forest Fires and want the off road and high angle of approach and departure but still function primarily as an Urban Engine most of the time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wish I had a better picture, this is Copper Mountain Fire Departments Sutphen Custom 4 x 4.

MembersZone Subscriber

I won't deny that a custom cab is a nice choice. We simply didn't have the budget for one.

Anyone worth their salt building these rigs as true W/UI rigs can achieve a good tilt-table test. Here's a shot of our uber-dangerous commercial cab death trap at 30 degrees. We'll never have it near that point, but it'll do it.

If you can afford it, go custom. All chief's buggies should be Volvos if we're having to buy the absolute safest rigs possible, right?

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a shot of the rig on the table. You'll just have to trust me that the picture showing the angle is from the same test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a nice little unit

Forum Member

npfd801....what does the Timberwolf rig run price wise? We are in the initial phases of looking at a w/ui rig and I sure do like the features of the Rosenbauer rig. I'm afraid we'll be limited to something on a F550 or GMC chassis due to budget constraints.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not quite sure what the Timberwolf's are running now but Rosenbauer does offer the truck in a FireStar model. You can probably still get every option you want and on the same hand it will save you a few bucks if you can swing it.

I would contact your Rosenbauer dealer in the area and get a price from them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Joel,

Please level your rig, your making me light headed ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I'll have stains in my bunkers if we ever see an angle like that...

Regarding pricing on the T-Wolf, I probably need to be careful there. Different dealers have different pricing depending on their overhead. I can say that we were in the $230's but we have a very custom body, 4-door chassis with 330 horse, etc. You could easily spend less with the Firestar rig, and keep in mind our pricing is already two years old. Inflation adds a lot, as well as every vendor's annual price increases.

We justified the higher cost of the bigger unit by looking at the cost of a mini, which we would give a ten year service life, and looking at the cost of a medium duty chassis unit, which we would give a 15 year service life. Divide the cost of the rig by the number of years you can honestly expect to run it, and the medium duty route starts to look a whole lot better, especially given the enhanced capabilities. To be honest, our experiences with two rigs built on F-550 chassis haven't exactly been good ones, so we were keen to look at other options.
    Last edited by npfd801; 02-24-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Forum Member

NPFD, what are the specs of that truck? Is it only used for Wildland/Urban Interface?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

It runs everything. 1000 gpm pump, 500 gallons water, crosslays in the first compartment, so our pulls for attack lines are lower than most engines. The W/UI is just something else the rig can do, though we know that it won't be as capable off-road as a true W/UI rig that is a bit shorter in length, and has better departure angles.

Essentially, we cover a portion of tollway with this rig with awful access to one flow of traffic. For the most part, we can cross the median with this rig, where are other rigs need to go miles out of the way to come back south to block traffic, etc. We will also use this on the few field fires we have a year. Other uses for this rig show up every day.

The rig started as a mini pumper, then we were set on a midi-style unit, using a bigger chassis, but not going to a full-fledged custom pumper. Adding four wheel drive to this chassis really doesn't add THAT much cost (cheaper than a heavy duty pickup and skid unit), so the project morphed into what you see here. Is it for everyone? No. Is it working for us? Yes.

Where would we get dinged on this rig from ISO on an engine classification? Right now, we need to take care of a master stream device. We may take partial credit and just add a Blitzfire, or go whole hog and put a Crossfire somewhere on the rig. I think our roof ladder is two feet short for ISO. We have a good amount of 2-1/2 and 3 inch in the bed (sorry, the actual amount escapes me right now), plus 800 or so feet of 5 inch. There is also a 2-1/2 pre-connect at the rear.

It also carries a full load of extrication equipment. Cutters, spreaders, power unit, high lift jacks, Sawzall, Ajax air tools, air cart for the tools, lots of cribbing, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. If you're looking for a more detailed idea of the rig, let me know, and I'll snap compartment shots and send them to you.

We're a smaller department with a finite budget, and not a whole lot of staffing (we're all volunteer). This is yet another rig that pulls multiple duty for us, and does fine. Is it as great for some fires as our top mount pumper with 1,000 gallons of water? No. We had to modify our approach to fire attack with this rig depending on who is coming behind us or if we'll be lonely for a while. But we accomplished a lot of goals with one rig, and did it cheaper than if we were to have bought a new engine and brush truck.

Our next engine will be a quad, as we no longer have a truck company. Now at least we'll have everything the truck had, except an aerial, on one rig. We're grasping this multi-function rig concept pretty well. We have a light squad that runs as an EMS assist rig, as well as a specialized RIT company. Our ideas may not work everywhere, but they work here.
    Last edited by npfd801; 02-25-2006 at 02:18 AM.

Thread Information