MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Angry Unreal...Woman washes kids with gasoline, explosion occurs.

This happened this morning in Aberdeen, Mississippi. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Lady in a housing project was told to get rid of lice, bath the kids in gas............which she did. Something set them off (They think a gas wall heater in the bathroom) and caused 60-90% burns on her AND ALL THREE KIDS. Whats the world coming to. I'll post more as becomes available.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

wow just wow

Forum Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again. People like this should be taken out back and shot.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Huh?..............

Yesterday (Tuesday) South of us in St. Marys County Md. a medivac Helicopter was requested for a child with severe burns from being covered with Gasoline. Strange..............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Very sad indeed.

You get these "old wives tales" going around and it is inevitable that someone, somewhere...... probably not the sharpest crayon in the box....... is going to buy into it. I believe this is a classic case of that.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom how a mother could even consider washing her children in gasoline, however, with that being said, I feel for her. This is a "mistake" that she will pay for and regret for the rest of her life, her children will also have to pay for their mother's lack of forethought.

Why am I envisioning a new warning sign at the pumps ..... "not for hygenic purposes"
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

these days it would probably have been cheaper to go to the doctor and get medication, even if you didn't have insuranceh.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Tragic, gotta be an entrant for this years Darwin awards.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tillerman17
    Tragic, gotta be an entrant for this years Darwin awards.
    I was just thinking along the same lines. Hopefully she wont procreate anymore ( to qualify for honorable mention).

And maybe , just maybe the kids will learn something ( at least what NOT to do)

It makes me sad to see children in such conditions. There are plenty of families out there who could be competent parents, that can't have their own, then there are those out there who can reproduce at will, and should have no business raising kids.
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    This happened this morning in Aberdeen, Mississippi. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Lady in a housing project was told to get rid of lice, bath the kids in gas............which she did. Something set them off (They think a gas wall heater in the bathroom) and caused 60-90% burns on her AND ALL THREE KIDS. Whats the world coming to. I'll post more as becomes available.

Heard anything else Alan? I missed the news last night.

After talking with you yesterday, I asked a teacher about what maybe she had heard people say they have used vs a store bought remedy. "Well, maybe kerosene, but not gas!"

My jaw dropped. Please. just go to the friggin store and buy something made to kill lice without the flammability/combustibility.

How horrible for that family.

Praying for the kids.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Lets hope someone didnt rub butter into the wounds to cool them

Forum Member

Angry

Well let's see......Woman in a housing project. Most of these places are scumb pits to begin with and have residential clientel that don't have the brains they were born with. Children sometimes have lice....it happens in school, playgrounds, etc...kids get it - it's a known fact.

You can't tell me that this "parent" had no previous education on how to deal with this. Someone tells her to use gasoline and she does......fu##ing idiot. This is a person who should have never reproduced in the first place if she can't be responsibile enough to properley care for her children's health. - Gasoline to bathe out lice......What Eienstien came up with that ? Must be a Project thing.

I'm sorry but if I seem angry and looks like I'm targeting a group of people well so be it......Most Project dwellers are always screaming poor mouth, can't find their babies daddys, cry welfare won't pay - yet they won't go out and get an education, a job, or attempt to better them-selves because it's the states responsibility. I hear it all the time especially in the some of the projects and state subsidized homes I respond to each tour. Absolutley pathetic. I hope the children recover.

MembersZone Subscriber

My sister and I had to take a terpentine bath when we were young... we had decided to play in fiberglass insulation in the attic. But it was outside. I dunno, I turned out ok. I turned out ok. I turned out ok. I turned out ok.

what were we talking about?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrkinsmketr
    Lets hope someone didnt rub butter into the wounds to cool them

No, no. That would be Mayo or Salad Dressing.
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Thanks for the horrendous story. I think I am going to be sick.
    I have mentioned to others that in doing this work, the thing that sticks with me and bothers me most, is not the injuries or the even the pain caused by injuries. It is walking into a house at 0dark30 and seeing two kids that haven't been bathed in weeks living in their own filth or the man in the 8x12 trailer, naked in his own filth. It's the house with no running water and kids with flea bites so bad their ankles have scar lines above their socks. But, you can bet there is beer in the fridge and cigs on the countertop.
    When people get in accidents or have their house catch fire, nine times out of ten, it's unintentional. But when people CHOOSE to live like that, like stupid animals, it's usually by choice. They choose to drink enough, smoke enough, snort enough, not work enough, not learn enough, whatever, and now the kids get to pay for it. Every daggone time! The kids pay for it.
    Even without the fire, the children must having been peeling the tile out of the bathtub from having gas scrubbed into young skin. Dear God, please comfort these young souls and speed their healing. Please don't ever let them be returned to their mother and let them be cared for by a loving man and woman that will see to their needs properly.
    Oh, I am done. That is it for this post.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quick update, the 1 year old has died at the burn center in Atlanta.

You would think that something just has to happen (legal wise) to this mother.
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Is there a link to the story you can post?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Here ya go Gonz, http://www.cdispatch.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

Full Story:

From: http://www.cdispatch.com/articles/20...ries/top01.txt

ABERDEEN - One child has died and two others and their mother remain in critical condition at a Georgia hospital today after they were severely burned Wednesday in an explosion at their home.

The children and their mother were injured when a gas water heater exploded while the mother was using gasoline to rid herself and her daughters of lice.

The children, ages 1, 4 and 8, as well as the mother, Cassandra Armstrong, were flown by jet to the Joseph Still Burn Center in Augusta, Ga., Wednesday afternoon after suffering burns to 60 to 90 percent of their bodies.

One of the children died there hospital officials said this morning but officials would not disclose which child.

At 7:15 a.m. Wednesday, neighbors reported a loud explosion in the Short Street housing complex where the family lived.

“I was cleaning up my house when I heard a loud noise like somebody had run a car into the apartments,” said Ethel Haynes, who lives next door to the explosion. “It shook my apartment and I ran out of the house and saw my neighbors' daughter and her kids run out of the house, too. They were naked, and smoke was coming from their bodies and they were screaming and hollering.

“All I could see was the white meat of their bodies, they were burned so badly,” added Haynes.

Brandon and her kids were in the bathroom of the residence at 150 Short St. bathing in gasoline to rid themselves of lice, according to reports from neighbors. Armstrong's parents, Earnestine and Lucious Brandon, who also lived at the residence, were not injured in the fire because they were in another room, said Haynes.

Aberdeen Police Chief Walter Sykes said relatives and neighbors told him the mother and kids took off their clothes and got into the bathtub with two gallons of gasoline. A nearby water heater ignited the gasoline and caused the explosion, said Sykes.

“From what we've heard, they were trying to rid themselves of some kind of insect infestation,” said Sykes.

Haynes said she called 911 and got some sheets from her house to cover her burned neighbors.

“I asked what happened and they said they were in the bathtub and gas exploded,” said Haynes. “I've heard they were doing an old remedy to get rid of lice.”

The victims were transported from Pioneer Community Hospital in Aberdeen by jet to the burn center in Augusta, Ga., around 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Before the family was transported, their condition was “very critical,” according to Susan Grimes, public relations director for Pioneer Community Hospital.

The explosion sent shocks through the Aberdeen community.

“Every member of our medical team was in the emergency room working to stabilize the victims,” said Grimes. “Hundreds of concerned neighbors and family members had been streaming through the hospital, and many had already begun the journey to Augusta, Ga.

“A tragedy like this really shows whether or not a community can hold together,” Grimes added.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Tyler101....
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    Thanks Tyler101....
    Anytime!

Forum Member

This was once a recognized treatment!

History of Gasoline

Pharmaceutical Use:

Before internal combustion engines were invented in the mid-1800s, gasoline was sold in small bottles as a treatment against lice and their eggs. In those early times, the word "Petrol" was a trade name. This treatment method is no longer common, due to the inherent fire hazard and risk of dermatitis and that gasoline is a carcinogen where continued contact might develop cancerous growths.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Watch me stir this pot up!!!

The "projects and slums" are simply a way for the liberals to keep getting votes and support...

WHAT YOU SAY???

Well here is my answer.....

The liberal democrats want the American tax payers to support these people (the welfare/project dwellers). By saying "they are poor, have no way out, uneducated and need help..." (or something to the affect.)
    When the republicans say "No", we/they are evil and money hungry racists. When all the republicans want is for people to go out and "earn it", even if it is as simple as sweeping a sidewalk, picking up trash etc....

I know that I may sound "XXXXXXX" (add your comment there). But, think about it for a second...
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire
    The "projects and slums" are simply a way for the liberals to keep getting votes and support...

WHAT YOU SAY???

Well here is my answer.....

The liberal democrats want the American tax payers to support these people (the welfare/project dwellers). By saying "they are poor, have no way out, uneducated and need help..." (or something to the affect.)
    When the republicans say "No", we/they are evil and money hungry racists. When all the republicans want is for people to go out and "earn it", even if it is as simple as sweeping a sidewalk, picking up trash etc....

I know that I may sound "XXXXXXX" (add your comment there). But, think about it for a second...
    Your "politics" have nothing to do with what happened here.

Take the crap you were going to stir down the hall... the bathroom's on the right...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default updated info

By Tobias Brown
    tbrown@cdispatch.com

A 1-year-old girl is dead and her two sisters remain in critical condition at a Georgia burn center following a tragic explosion at the family's Aberdeen home on Wednesday.

Caliyha Brown, 17-months-old, died from burn complications at 10:22 a.m. Wednesday at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Ga.

Caliyha's sisters, 4-year-old Caleasha and 8-year-old Cailin Brown, cling to life in critical condition while recovering from surgery at the burn center. The children's mother, Cassandra Armstrong, is in serious condition at the center.

The family was flown to the burn center Wednesday following an explosion that was reportedly caused when Armstrong attempted to rid herself and the children of lice by rinsing off in a tub of gasoline and hot water.

Fumes from the hot water and gasoline caused a gas hot water heater to explode Wednesday morning in the home at 150 Short St., according to Aberdeen Fire Chief Frank Gladney

“When I interviewed her (Armstrong), she said she put two gallons of gasoline in the tub and began filling the tub up with hot water for an old remedy to get rid of insects,” said Gladney.

As the tub of gasoline slowly filled with hot water, fumes rose from the tub and spread throughout the bathroom and the hallway, Gladney explained.

“The hot water heater was located in the hallway across from the bathroom,” Gladney stated. “When the pilot on the water heater lit to reheat the water, it ignited with the vapors from the tub and caused the explosion.”

Gladney said the explosion could have been worse.

“The pilot on the water heater kicked on when the vapors were still low,” said Gladney. “If the vapors from the gasoline and hot water had more time to spread, the whole apartment could have exploded. One gallon of gasoline is equal to 20 sticks of dynamite when it explodes.”

Despite the death of the family's youngest member, burn center officials said the victims' health conditions could have been worse if not for the dedicated work of staff at Pioneer Community Hospital in Aberdeen.

The Still Burn Center medical director, Dr. Fred Mullins, and two other staff members flew from Augusta to the small Aberdeen hospital to help stabilize the victims and transport them to the burn center. Mullins and his support staff were extremely impressed with the effort and efficiency of the three-person medical staff at Pioneer Community Hospital.

“They told us the hospital staff did a remarkable job,” said Beth Fritz, public relations coordinator for the Still Burn Center. “Our director said they responded like an experienced and professional staff at a trauma center and were crucial in getting the victims to Augusta.”

Fritz said burn center officials contacted Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., and praised the work of the Pioneer staff.
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Upadte....Second child dies

From The Commercial Dispatch:

ABERDEEN - A second child has died from burns after an explosion and fire at her Aberdeen home last week.

Caleasha Brown, 4, died at 4:50 p.m. Saturday at Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Ga., said Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley.

Caleasha's 17-month-old baby sister, Caliyha Brown, died of her injuries Thursday.

The girls' older sister, Cailin Brown, 8, and their mother, Cassandra Armstrong, remained in stable but critical condition Saturday at the Still Burn Center, said hospital spokeswoman Beth Fritz.

The family was flown to the burn center Wednesday following an explosion that was reportedly caused when Armstrong attempted to rid herself and the children of lice by rinsing off in a tub of gasoline and hot water.

Fumes from the hot water and gasoline caused a gas hot water heater to explode, said Aberdeen Fire Chief Frank Gladney.

“She had lice on her and on some clothes, so she put the clothes in the bathtub and poured (gasoline) on them and on herself,” Gladney said.

“This is something that people used to do in the old days to kill lice, but back then the houses had enough cracks in them to release the fumes,” he continued. “Houses these days are sealed air tight, so the gas fumes had nowhere to escape.

“When the gas water heater came on, it caused the fumes in the home to explode, catching the house on fire. This was just pure carelessness,” Gladney said.

Aberdeen Police Chief Walter Sykes said the accident remains under investigation.

Fritz said the Still Burn Center medical director, Dr. Fred Mullins, and two other staff members flew from Augusta to Pioneer Community Hospital in Aberdeen to help stabilize the victims and transport them to the burn center.

So sad, sad indeed.......
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Thread Information