Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Default How Long until they get lucky again?

At a Meeting of the Metropolitain Police Authority today, Senior Officers detailed that Three other terrorist attacks had been thwarted by Anti Teroor Cops since the July 7th Bombing last year.

Since 9/11 they had stopped a number of attacks including a biological attack on the British Capital using Ricin...then they got Lucky on 7/7...how long until they get lucky again?

Photo show 'Spirit of London' a special order bus among the hundreds of new buses every year, this is a direct replacement for the one blown up on 7/7
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SteveDude; 02-23-2006 at 09:09 AM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Clock Is Ticking

I think it is inevitable that there will be another attack in the Western World, but when and where is anybody's guess.

The 7/7 attack, and likely the botched 7/21 attack, were the product of a homegrown group (loosely knit, with a good knowledge of the country and the language, with a secure base to operate) and they are much harder to catch than a group who enters from another country to carry out an attack.

There are lots of disenchanted and impressionable people who could be drawn into a plot. I think it is particularly likely in Europe, especially in France which has a large number of people from Islamic countries, who are treated as outsiders and have experienced a lot of unrest lately.

Despite the best efforts of law enforcement and intelligence agencies, eventually something will slip through the cracks an attack will take place. As the IRA said after they failed to kill Margaret Thatcher "We only have to get lucky once, you have to be lucky all the time"

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Sadly I agree with Ralph on his points about disenchanted and impressionable people. I am sure that there are many out there who are a bomb waiting to blow, but lack the moral fortitude to start on their own, but a wee nudge like the London and WTC events might be enough to put them over the edge.

On the other hand, as has been said before, just an open threat to violence is in itself a low level from of terrorism. That alone is usually enough to put a person on guard. Unfortunately no one person or even group/country etc can sustain that level of "on guard" for an indefinite period. And most terrorists (the "Professionals") are very very patient.

As Ralph pointed out, "We only need to be lucky once..."
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    On the other hand, as has been said before, just an open threat to violence is in itself a low level from of terrorism. That alone is usually enough to put a person on guard.
    IMHO, the threat of violence can be a very high and effective form of terrorism. It usually takes a big violent act to promulgate widespread fear, but the prime objective of the terrorist is to instill terror. Physical harm and property damage are just tools to enhance and spread the fear/terror. Just my opinion.
    earl

Thread Information