Forum Member

Default Need help with T-shirts

My department needs a t-**** design and I guess im in charge of it. Is there a way to do this or is there some kind of process? Any one else out there ever done this before? I just want something really simple. Is there someone on line that prints the shirts after we get the design? Any help would be GREAT!

Forum Member

Pencil & Paper?

Seriously now! I've designed a few t-shirts for a former VFD. If you are designing it you do what you want! We've had simple YOUR NAME HERE FD to complex maltese crosses with variations of verbage and designs.
    One thing that I do suggest is to keep it simple/clean. Not a intricate picture or multi-color. Besides, the single or two color print will be cheaper than a multi-color screen print.
    Just visit any local designer or artist for help with it. If you have any local printers (screen printers), most provide some sort of art support.
    You have a computer or access to one, open up a paint shop program and draw one or design one on there.

Good luck!

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

a good friend of mine owns a design company. He can create a design for you or use the one that you come up with. He has created decals for my dept and they worked out very well.

http://www.fireclouddesign.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the help.

We only have 6 guys on the Dept. in the middle of BFE in Texas. So we want to keep it smiple to keep the cost down.

Forum Member

Once you determine a design, such as maltese cross with your station number in it (probably the most generic one out there) take it to a local store that does screen printing. Show them your design and let them make something up for you.

You might have to pay more for the first batch since some places make you pay for the screen. But once that is done, you only pay the cost of the shirt.

MembersZone Subscriber

With one or two colors, don't overlook a local embroidered. Maltese cross is a stock item, they type the department name into the computer, and the software controls a lot of the stitching. (for those who do this, i know i'm making sound too easy) Point is--embroidery can compete with screen print, espically on small runs. Sporting goods stores are a good source of contact for either screen print or embroidered.
    earl

Forum Member

Cool

You might want to check with your state prison system. Our state prison system has a printing/embroidery shop and we paid just over $2.50 per shirt with the screenprinting on high quality shirts.

Forum Member

Default t-shirt design small quanities and fundraiser

Hi - reading this thread -

I just made up a t-shirt for our department commemorating a recent storm that passed through our community. We have set up a shirt store on our VFD website - www.qsfd.com/store

I used this company - www.cafepress.com (see referral note below) and I set up two stores www.cafepress.com/qsfd for our members (no market up) and www.cafepress.com/qsfdbooster (see referral note below)

I took the same shirt and I added $10 for the booster shirt - sales after it being up since Wednesday is slow but it only cost my time. We have links on our web page - small posters in a few stores and press releases. The local newspapers are very interested in the press releases - they think it is neat idea. It is also a great way to promote your department. You also can set up a number of special shirts around various events and holidays - I think these might make great christmas gifts.

Now the cost of the t-shirts are high - about $15 per shirt with $4 shipping (with no mark-up) but the good thing is everyone can order their own shirt based on the shirts that they like. No need for collecting money or doing a minimum order - my experience is that t-shirts are normally between $7.50 and $11 so the cost is higher but the ease is the best thing. The other item that they have is bulk orders of over 15 then the price becomes more competitive and you can still sell the individual items over the web.

I do not work for this company but I do think they are a good deal and have a good product.

Now a note about refferals - if you do set up your own store - please consider saying that the qsfd store reffered you - you would need to enter the store idea which is qsfd - it cost you nothing and we get 5% of your base price since we reffered you. So you would be helping us out at no cost. The site has a number of other incentives and coupons so that you might be able to keep your cost even lower.

If you have any questions I am willing to try to answer them - webmaster@qsfd.com

Sean
    Quaker Springs Fire Department
    Saratoga, NY

Thread Information