Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Corporate Donations

Has anyone had experience with corporate donations from Home Depot? We would like to set up an SCBA maze for the department and figured that would be a good place to start.

On the same token, has anyone ever heard of a car dealership donating a vehicle for a department? (not for an extrication drill)

-Matt

Forum Member

I used to work for a fire department who was the recipient of ATV donation. I know of some watercraft donations but do not know much more other than that.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

I know of departments that received wood scraps/smoke detectors from Home Depot. In the case of the smoke detectors, one of the chiefs worked there at the time. Re. the wood, can hurt to ask. Also check with any builders in your area. Also try Lowes, if there is one by you, I hear they like to donate, too.
    Last edited by DianeC; 02-23-2006 at 03:09 PM. Reason: added something
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Question 1) My experience is to hit up a local contractor. Most have access to unused/used sheet rock, 2X4's etc...Most of the home improvement stores already have their dontation dollars tied up elsewhere (Habitat for Humnaity for example).

Question 2) Depends on what you are needing the car for....most are hesitant in letting you use a car for other than test driving. What you should do here...contact your local insurance agents office or provider (AIG/Geico etc..), most at one time or another have knowledge of totaled cars.....
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Default Our experience at Home Depot...

The local Home Depot has asked us to particpate in their activities, which we have done on more than a few occasions... however, on the flip side, I asked for a donation on behalf of the Chief for some building materials so the FD could convert a former DPW water department van into a "mobile arson investigation office". This was done on FD letterhead with outr tax exmpt numbers as well as a face to fdace with the store manager.

Let's just say they were "less than receptive" to our request... whuch frankly ticked me off. We still take advantage of the space they give us for FPW, but I look at their other requests with a jaded eye.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

This should help.

http://corporate.homedepot.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/.cmd/cs/.ce/7_0_A/.s/7_0_120/_s.7_0_A/7_0_120

Forum Member

If you are looking for wood I would try and speak with a LOCAL lumber yard or contractor. The larger chains typically have a lot more red tape that needs to get cleared before they can donate.

As far as department vehicles go, if you have a dealership in your town you have a shot, otherwise its going to be really tough to get a donated vehicle from a dealership not in your 1st alarm area.

In both cases if donations are not possible see if you can make your purchases at cost or at a discount.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default i hate the HD

As an unfortunate employee of the home depot, we recently had a fun raiser for one of our firefighters who was ill i asked for donations of some gift cards or something and this was their response to their own employee "since you are not a licensed orgiznation, we can't contrubute."

but try hitting up the HR manager. I know each store marks down wood like crazy and if you get in good with them they can mark down some wood or even donate it out of a fund they get for certian things like city clean up and stuff like that.

i've got a lot of built up anger i could vent, but i think its best for my tharapist to hear

good luck though.

Agree with ff4405, try the local "mom and pop" lumberyard. One in our twp donated all the building materiels for our home built fire prevention smokehouse.

MembersZone Subscriber

We tried to get a shed from home depot... have to go through corporate and apply for a grant, yada yada, we got one from a mom and pop shop (discounted, not donated)

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for all the help, we have a few mom and pops around as well as car dealers, I will check with both.

I dont recall anything from Home Depot. We do have an arangement with a local junk yard for cars to use for extrication training, and we frequently get buildings set for demolition from developers to train in. Does that count?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Is this similar to the local telling a new business they must give x amount of money to the FD if they want to build a 5 story building? Either way I would have no issue with a new 1.5mil Ladder truck if it had a "Home Depot" or some sticker on the side of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default bog box store

WALMART has a program where each store HAS to give away a grant to a local non profit org.

Quote Originally Posted by emtcsmith
    Is this similar to the local telling a new business they must give x amount of money to the FD if they want to build a 5 story building? Either way I would have no issue with a new 1.5mil Ladder truck if it had a "Home Depot" or some sticker on the side of it.
    Newsflash!

It has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Newsflash!

The "local" cannot tell a company they have to give the FD money to build a 5 story building.

Are you trying to stir the pot of fecal matter by bringing the IAFF into this?

Newsflash!

The politicians are the ones who can ask for mitigation money to lessen the impact on a community. The funding usually goes into a general fund, from there it is disbursed to the various city/town departments.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Have had relitivly good results with both Home Depot and Lowes, though Lowe's did cut us a better deal and was much more receptive. I would hit them up quick though if you are looking for lumber as once the mess south of me in the Gulf area is bulldozed, cleaned up and burned down, and the rebuilding starts, lumber may become a hot commedity and will become a rather expensive donation. Just basing this on the price spikes and shortages that occured after Florida started to rebuild a few years ago.

As far as a vehicle, I have seen it happen now and then. In fact, my old department in VT had a used Tahoe donated just after I left. In my experience, it has been a used vehicle unless they can wrangle sometning from the manufacturer themselves. It's certainly worth a try. Have someone with some Grant Writing experience take on the task. If you can answer all of thier key questions in the letter you may stand a chance. they may ask you to put a "Donated by ..." on it, which really is a small price to pay.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 02-24-2006 at 05:47 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleHut
    As an unfortunate employee of the home depot, we recently had a fun raiser for one of our firefighters who was ill i asked for donations of some gift cards or something and this was their response to their own employee "since you are not a licensed orgiznation, we can't contrubute."

but try hitting up the HR manager. I know each store marks down wood like crazy and if you get in good with them they can mark down some wood or even donate it out of a fund they get for certian things like city clean up and stuff like that.

i've got a lot of built up anger i could vent, but i think its best for my tharapist to hear

good luck though.
    If you are "unfortunate"...you could always quit!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    We tried to get a shed from home depot... have to go through corporate and apply for a grant, yada yada, we got one from a mom and pop shop (discounted, not donated)
    So HD is a horrible place because they make you fill out some paperwork and follow a procedure? Do you realize how many requests they probably get from everybody from churches to the cub scouts to the little league? They couldn't possibly honor them all.

Do you contribute to every charity that solicits you? Of course not. You evaluate the information, determine what is worthwhile and what is bogus and then determine a reasonable amount to donate.

My God, some of you have this entitlement attitude that is simply frightening.

Forum Member

Default Not specifically Home Depot, but

Its not directly on target, but we often send out this link to people looking for corporate funding - its particularly useful because its local, at least at the state level.

http://www.tgci.com/funding/states.asp

Good luck!

Thread Information