This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Default St Patrick's day band traditions

Now that we are less than a month away from St. Patrick's Day I was wondering what kind of St. Patrick's day traditions are out there for people that play in a band. I'll be playing in my first St Patty's day parade (snare drum in a pipe band) at the Binghamton, NY parade on March 4th. Anyone else going to be there? Thanks in advance.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs down St Paddy's Day

As a unwilling participant of the IRA bombings in London--whatever you do on St Paddys Day-DO NOT--play pass the parcel in any Irish Pub!

MembersZone Subscriber

Although not a member of a pipe band, through my vast experience with High Holy Day festivities, drinking would seem to be a tradition that is most routinely followed.

This space for rent

Already have the drinking angle covered
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    As a unwilling participant of the IRA bombings in London--whatever you do on St Paddys Day-DO NOT--play pass the parcel in any Irish Pub!
    As an unwillinig participant of the British occupation of north eastern Ireland, whatever you do, don't play God Save The queen anywhere!

Tiocfaidh ar La
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Too bad about boston

If any of you have ever been to South Boston on St. paddy's, you know what I mean apparently it has gotten a little out of control. The Jakes are takin a year off. Our local was told that no firefighters will be marching.

Any Info?

Forum Member

Cool I agree

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    As an unwillinig participant of the British occupation of north eastern Ireland, whatever you do, don't play God Save The queen anywhere!

Tiocfaidh ar La
    Just a small point,ChicagoFF, altho I have no great love for the so called Royal Family(thats partly why I emigrated)-I think listening to the National Anthem however badly played by an Irish Pipe band, is so much more preferable to collecting the body parts of innocent women and children,after a bombing by the "brave" patriots of the IRA.
    Personal note-my grandfather came from Ulster-I was in the LFB.Do you not think it a little ironic that maybe some relative was trying to kill me, whilst I was doing what all firefighters strive to do-protect lives?
    Kushty Bok

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    I think listening to the National Anthem however badly played by an Irish Pipe band, is so much more preferable to collecting the body parts of innocent women and children,after a bombing by the "brave" patriots of the IRA.
    Or picking up bodies from Derrys streets after an attack on civilian peace marchers by the "brave" paras.
    Personal note-my grandfather came from Ulster-I was in the LFB.Do you not think it a little ironic that maybe some relative was trying to kill me, whilst I was doing what all firefighters strive to do-protect lives?
    Kushty Bok
    Now that would definitely be ironic!

Tiocfaidh ar La

Up the Bogside!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Well as a member of the Dublin Fire Brigade and a member of our Honour Guard I'l be marchin in the Dublin Parade holding up the Tri-colour with great pride, and as far as our traditions go we all head down to Tara Street Fire station (Our HQ) and rigth across the road we all meet up in the local pub, a starting point for all drinking occasions organised within our brigade, we get ourselves "Lubricated" as it will then head over to the station to get our stuff......

Then rigth as we are about to march the gates of the station are opened to us and we march out onto the main road to the sounds and sigths of 2 Engines, 2 ladders, 1 Emergency Tender, 2 Ambulances, 1 Swift Water Rescue Unit and 25 Firefigthers all revved up, sirens blareing and ligths flashing giving us a guard of honour as we leave the station, then we march down to the official start of the parade and then commence......

As far as the troubles in Ireland go there are a few guys in my house or station that were at the Dublin bombings back in the day, no real irish man what every your political view will ever want to go back to those days

Sure just last week we had close to 3000 rioters in the city center because a group of Orange Men and Loyalists wanted to march down O'Connel street, the main street in Dublin....My old fire station that I stared my carrer in went down to put out some barraced that had been erected and set ablaze, 2 of the guys ended up in hospital because of bricks and bottles getting hurled at them and the truck "Delta 31" came out some of the worse also, the front windscreen and 2 side windows smashed
    Last edited by JonnytheTurk; 03-01-2006 at 07:28 PM.
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up JonnytheTurk

Quote Originally Posted by JonnytheTurk
    Well as a member of the Dublin Fire Brigade and a member of our Honour Guard I'l be marchin in the Dublin Parade holding up the Tri-colour with great pride, and as far as our traditions go we all head down to Tara Street Fire station (Our HQ) and rigth across the road we all meet up in the local pub, a starting point for all drinking occasions organised within our brigade, we get ourselves "Lubricated" as it will then head over to the station to get our stuff......

Then rigth as we are about to march the gates of the station are opened to us and we march out onto the main road to the sounds and sigths of 2 Engines, 2 ladders, 1 Emergency Tender, 2 Ambulances, 1 Swift Water Rescue Unit and 25 Firefigthers all revved up, sirens blareing and ligths flashing giving us a guard of honour as we leave the station, then we march down to the official start of the parade and then commence......

As far as the troubles in Ireland go there are a few guys in my house or station that were at the Dublin bombings back in the day, no real irish man what every your political view will ever want to go back to those days

Sure just last week we had close to 3000 rioters in the city center because a group of Orange Men and Loyalists wanted to march down O'Connel street, the main street in Dublin....My old fire station that I stared my carrer in went down to put out some barraced that had been erected and set ablaze, 2 of the guys ended up in hospital because of bricks and bottles getting hurled at them and the truck "Delta 31" came out some of the worse also, the front windscreen and 2 side windows smashed
    Thanks mate-you have said it all, when you have been a target,regardless of who is trying to kill you and their particular reasons for doing so--life is still sweet. Unless of course you are to stupid or one eyed--why do I see a correlation between patriotic nationalistic pride and suicide Muslim bombers?
    If you have seen action in Northern Ireland I take my "battle bowler "off to you-regardless of your political persuasion-stay safe, you earn your money the hard way.

MembersZone Subscriber

My tradition is to get with my buds, drink a little green beer, chase a little tail, talk smart, break stuff, and pass out someplace.

Just kidding. Can't do that this year....still on probation from last year

hehehe
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    My tradition is to get with my buds, drink a little green beer, chase a little tail, talk smart, break stuff, and pass out someplace.

Just kidding. Can't do that this year....still on probation from last year

hehehe
    lol.....I feel for yea bro I've been there, got told off a few years back for .....how can i put it...overindulging....and waking up in my station (No. 4) on another watch....and to top it all off the guys thought it would be funny to put my into the Station Officers (Cheif's) bed when he was out on a job...

But if any of u got any pics from previous paddies days post them up...it would be great to see them

And and 2andfrom, thanks bro I'm glad someone knows were I'm comng from
    Dublin Fire Brigade

Forum Member

Default Bend the elbow

JonnytheTurk--not only do I know where you are coming from--I also know where you have been!Me and you have a lot in common. If you ever get to this side of the world get in touch--gotta give the liver a severe workout!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to church! It is a SAINTS feast day.

Up the Republic.

Forum Member

Go to church !......I'l be lieing if i said that wasnt a tradition aswell...one thing about the Dublin fire brigade is that we work a 3 and 3 system....3 on, 3 off......

We do 2 days and 1 nigth....3 off.....then 1 day and 2 nigths......system works great but if you are coming on duty on and Suday morning u dont have to me on parade until 10am instead of 9am....reason being that u can then go to 9am mass on sunday morning....has been a brigade order since the DFB was established in 1862

So its a long and outstanding tradition within the brigade over here...

And 2andfrom its a deal......if I ever get over there we'l paint a few bars green !
    Dublin Fire Brigade

This space for rent

Had a woman ask me the other day if I wear pantyhose underneath my kilt I'm still laughing about that one. For all of you smart *****es out there, I do not wear pantyhose.

To our brothers from across the big pond, I hope you enjoy your time in NYC or wherever else you end up.

To all, safe travels to and from your St. Patrick's Day activities.

Personally, my first Guinness will be raised to toast the fallen.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    Personally, my first Guinness will be raised to toast the fallen.
    HEAR HEAR !!!!....well said mate.....and to everyone else out there thats gona have a few beers and maybe even a few whiskey's aswell...a big HAPPY PADDIES DAY to one and all.....

This is the one day of the year...not only to be proud of being Irish or having an Irish heritage but also to be proud to be in the world wide brotherhood of firefigthers....the only perfession in the world that you can travel to any other country and be greeted with open arms in any Fire station there is....

Have a good one lads...and remember post up some picutres when its all over !
    Dublin Fire Brigade

Forum Member

Thumbs up

*Insert your brand of preference here*
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Well as a Band we attend Mass in the morning, most everyones family turns out for the Mass. Then we usually have a nice big breakfast and go our seperate ways. Most of the Parades as of Sunday are complete.
    Last edited by MOTOWN88; 03-14-2006 at 09:47 AM.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Thread Information