Thread: Long island

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Long island

Does anyone know of a program in NYS where Long island fire departments donate used equipment to other departments? Any information regarding this topic will be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Not that I'm aware off -- we sold our last piece to an upstate dept. for one dollar...They came down and picked it up and were trained on it before they left, of course. A lot of the times the "dealer" has a trade in. Ironically they offered the dept. much more then a dollar, but the dept. didn't take the deal since they thought they could do better on their own, which in the grand scheme of things, they did since they helped out a dept. in need. It's not like we needed the money.

www.fasny.com

www.nysfirechiefs.com

www.suffolkfirechiefs.com

They may know of dept.'s in need...

Or www.helpingourown.org -- someone may have contacted them with a request...
    Last edited by DianeC; 02-25-2006 at 10:18 AM. Reason: fix grammar (if only others would) *sigh*
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

As a Long Island vollie, I know that our fire academy here in Suffolk County (the larger of the 2 counties) operates a formal program of assisting other FD's (commonly outside the country...i.e. Venezuela), however, most depts. to my knowledge when donating equipment/vehicles do it on a direct one to one basis (someone knows someone in a needy dept. or reads an article somwhere about a fellow dept. in need).

Most depts. seem to be more than willing to help...they often have a good deal of spare used equipment (everything from gear to hose to hand tools)
    and at times a spare apparatus that they may be willing to donate. I know a local FD just donated a used ambulance and chiefs car to a dept. in MS that was wiped out by Katrina.

The links DianeC provided above would be your best starting point...

Just my 2 cents...Stay Safe...

Forum Member

try fire news. its sent to every firehouse on long island. Write a letter to them, and try the sites above. good luck

http://www.firenews.com/

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrkinsmketr
    try fire news. its sent to every firehouse on long island. Write a letter to them, and try the sites above. good luck

http://www.firenews.com/
    Unless they've changed their ways, it is only available by paid subscription and not every dept. feels like paying the ridiculous subscription fees.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC
    Unless they've changed their ways, it is only available by paid subscription and not every dept. feels like paying the ridiculous subscription fees.

ive yet to see a firehouse without it.. but they do have individual subscriptions., last I heard.

Thread Information