Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Bullard helmets and MSA masks

My volunteer department has Bullard firedome helmets and MSA SCBAs and I have heard a few complaints in my department about helmets making peoples heads sore and giving them hedaches while weraing them with an SCBA mask. So I was just wandering if anyone here knows if Bullard firedome helmets are made to acomidate MSA type SCBA masks or if there is any other reason this is occuring (user error maybe?).

Any help will be appreciated
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

The problem is... it's a Bullard lid.

I have one that was FD issue..damn uncomfortable..leather is better!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I agree with the Wise Captain.
    Bullard is not a choice product in my opinion.
    While LEATHER is BETTER, a good Cairns head piece is comfortable. I've worn mine many a hour without any complications.

Quite possible that they have the rachet too tight on the lid with the mask in place. Other than that, are thier heads miss-shaped?

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

I've got a Bullard PX, about five years old. The rest of the dept. is issued Cairns, but I received the Bullard from a close family member for Christmas, and I couldn't NOT wear it. And yeah, it hurts after about one hour. On a multi alarm fire my head will be aching something terrible.

Forum Member

I used to wear the same lid with a scott mask. I was uncomfortable and never sat on my head correctly. I now wear a benny II and have had no issues.

Forum Member

The Bullard lids suck, I used to have one and had all the same issues others have said here. I have a conway now, and after 4 years it's getting to be the same. Still waiting for the leather front for my N6A.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

I personally think my bullard is alright, with no mask it is quite comfortable, with a mask it can be iritating after while if it is racheted too tight or placed improperly.

But I can't stand a leather helmet, it's like wearing a cinder block atop your head.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul343
    I personally think my bullard is alright, with no mask it is quite comfortable, with a mask it can be iritating after while if it is racheted too tight or placed improperly.

But I can't stand a leather helmet, it's like wearing a cinder block atop your head.
    Wear the salad bowl style Phenix, kinda mixes both worlds......(did I just open a can of worms or what )
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

I have never cared for Bullard lids after seeing one "bubble up" at a structural training burn. I was in the same room with the person and my 1010 didnt do it. So NO Bullard for me EVER, as for the mask thing ............never heard of that.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information