Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Lightbulb Dispatcher Unions

Disclaimer: I've already searched the forums and am not satisfied with the results I've found.

Does anyone lurking in the forum have any information on Dispatcher Unions? Any dispatchers here MEMBERS of Union?
    Please PM me or post here.

Thank you!
    *Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Around here the local police departments cover all the dispatching and the dispatchers are part of the police union.

MembersZone Subscriber

The dispatchers on my FD are part of the firefighters union, but are not considered emergency personnel. This is the result of a lawsuit and affect how they are paid overtime. The police dispatchers have thier own union, seperate from the police officers.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

With being members of the IAFF can you tell me how that works? Are your dispatchers JUST fire/ems dispatchers or are they PD/FD/EMS?
    I'm a former IAFF (Career Firefighter) member and now a dispatcher again. The City I work for is great, but I think an organization is a good thing. Not looking to pursue anything or file anything, just want to establish it just in case it is needed in the future for anyone.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

For many years we assigned a fire fighter to dispatch. Nine years ago the union negotiated to hire "civilian dispatchers". The dispatchers are in the fire union and wear the same work uniforms as the fire fighters. Our dispatchers only do fire dispatch. The police department receives the 911 calls and either transfers fire calls to us or calls with the information. EMS dispatch is done by a regional dispatch center in a neighboring town. The fire dispatchers get the benefits of the union contract, i.e. medical, pension, etc. as well as a section that covers their specific function. They work the same shift as the FD, 3 days on, 3 days off, 3 nights on, 3 day off.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    Nine years ago the union negotiated to hire "civilian dispatchers". The dispatchers are in the fire union and wear the same work uniforms as the fire fighters. Our dispatchers only do fire dispatch. The police department receives the 911 calls and either transfers fire calls to us or calls with the information. EMS dispatch is done by a regional dispatch center in a neighboring town. The fire dispatchers get the benefits of the union contract, i.e. medical, pension, etc. as well as a section that covers their specific function. They work the same shift as the FD, 3 days on, 3 days off, 3 nights on, 3 day off.
    Do you know how this would work for a PD/FD/EMS all-round dispatcher? We dispatch for everything except a University PD in a County of 100K residents.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Mark:

That would be up to the union and the city. They can agree to almost any working condition or stipulation, as long as it is legal. Have you approached the local fire fighters union about joining or contacted the IAFF for asistance? You most likely have a state IAFF association, they may be your best source of information.
    -------------------

Forum Member

I've called the Local president, we just haven't been able to get together so I could discuss it with him.
    I wanted to approach the local first before I go to the state so that I don't step on toes or offend anyone first.

Thanks!
    *Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Mark..I dont know if this helps or not ............I work for a county EMS agency and we are unionized. Toledo Fire has civilian dispatchers and they are also covered by a union contract. ......hope this helps.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Dispatchers vary greatly even from city to city, not to mention state to state.

Here, I am a full time dispatcher with my County dispatch center. We dispatch for all 18 law enforcement, fire and EMS agencies in the county. We are members of the Communications Workers of America (CWA Union) This is the same union as the telephone operators. Not sure how it started that we got to be part of that but it works I guess.

Most dispatchers are part of the union of the agency they work for from what I have found.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

The dispatchers in our public safety communication center are represented by the Marlborough Clerical Employees Union. The MCEU covers the clerical workers in the schools, City Hall, City departments, the building maintenance staffs and public safety dispatchers. They used to be a local of the SEIU, but decertified (a total lack of support from the parent organization) and went on their own.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

In Orlando our dispatchers are part of our local, with a seperate contract. They only dispatch calls for the FD, I'm not sure about the dispatchers for the PD.

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

Without having it right in front of me to read word for word...

Article II of the Constitution and ByLaws of the IAFF...... "Anyone who is a full-time employee of the fire department.......fire suppression, EMS, rescue, OR RELATED SERVICES...can become a member."

According to my local's website, our dispatchers are members too.

My old dept. where I was Local President...the dispatchers were full time employees of the police dept. and members of the FOP.

MembersZone Subscriber

The dispatchers in our department are a part of our local however they have there own contract since they are calssified differently.

www.woodlandsfire.org

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    The dispatchers in our public safety communication center are represented by the Marlborough Clerical Employees Union.
    Ugggg...... A clerical union? *sigh*

Thread Information