MembersZone Subscriber

Default Our save the other night.

Myself and 2 other firefighters saved the dog in one huge joint effort by all to stop this blaze .

Three men and a dog escaped a fire that completely destroyed a Citrus Hills home early Friday morning.

The fire began a little before 3 a.m. when 19-year-old Craig A. Snider, of Hernando, crashed a van into 81-year-old Charles R. Brooks’ home at 351 E. Liberty St., according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

The van caught fire, which spread to the home. Snider was able to get out of the burning car, but was later airlifted to Shands hospital in Gainesville.

Citrus County Fire Rescue spokesman Tom McLean said Brooks’ dachshund, Brandy, woke the owner up, which allowed Brooks to escape from the house.

His guest, William L. Petrone, 80, was also in the house and escaped unharmed.

When fire trucks arrived, Brandy was still in the house and the garage and attic were completely filled with flames, McLean said.

She was later found after much of the fire was extinguished when firefighters conducted a secondary search of the house.

“The firefighters were looking under beds and they found the dog all curled up,” McLean said.

The dog was not burned, but was given oxygen by Nature Coast Emergency Medical Services, McLean said.

Next-door-neighbor Pat Maynard said Brooks was thankful the emergency teams were able to save the dog.

“He was really relieved,” Maynard said. “That’s all he has left, really, for family down here.”

She said Brooks’ wife died last year and his family mostly lives up north.

Maynard said the initial crash woke her up and as various appliances blew up in the fire, the sounds were horrific.

“It was a bad scene,” Maynard said. “I haven’t seen anything quite that bad.”

According to a Shands Hospital representative, Snider was listed in good condition Friday afternoon.

FHP spokesman Larry Coggins said arrest charges are pending for Snider.

Back to index Email this story Print this story

http://www.chronicleonline.com/artic...ews/news50.txt
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Nice one Pimp.

Although that is not the best pic to use when attempting to explain how you "stopped" the blaze (wink-wink).
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

lol I know , this is the only pic of it , that the paper took , it only shows the right side of the house through the garage window where the fire started it accessed through the attack and decent winds pushed it fast on that side. But hey I can be proud of saving a puppy for a few minutes lol , was an awesome effort by all of us on scene at 4am in the morning .
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

1,000 puppy kisses to you Firepimp. You have a special place in my heart......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeidiLou
    1,000 puppy kisses to you Firepimp. You have a special place in my heart......
    I hope the puppy didn't lick himself first....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    I hope the puppy didn't lick himself first....

ROFLOL!!! That freaking hurt Gonzo, I think I ruptured something..

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Thread Information