Forum Member

Default Colorado Springs Fire

Ive always wanted to work for Colorado Springs Fire and am planning on testing there in the future, but I heard a rumor (just a rumor) that they may be going to 12 hour shifts. Does anyone know if this is true? This is just something that I heard from an unreliable source so I don't want to be the one to start any rumors. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case I would have no interest in testing there.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a couple of good friends that work for CFFD. I have not heard anything about going to 12hr shifts. They are starting to offer overtime to staff a mini-pumper. I think that the mini will be 12 hr shifts. It was supposed to be just a way to take pressure off some of the busier companies by running medicals. A pump was added later. It will be staffed with 2 ff. They do the same thing in the summer to staff a wildland type 6.

Forum Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about that medical unit they were adding. That's probably what that guy had heard about. I was wondering how that was going to work. I really don't want to get hired and then get stuck on that truck - that would be just as bad as going to an ALS dept and getting stuck on the box. So that medical truck is being staffed with overtime?

Are you a resident firefighter at Avon? That place looks really cool. I went up there about 5 years ago to check it out and I really wanted to go there but I wanted a bachelor's degree so I did a very similar program in Texas.

MembersZone Subscriber

I started as a resident ff in Avon. I was offered a full time position in december of 03 and accepted. The resident program is a great way to get your foot in the door of the fire service. We have alumni of the progam all over the country serving as career firefighters. The program is a good way to get a free fire science education while gaining valuble experience as a firefighter.

Thread Information