Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Locution Systems

Has anyone experience with a station alerting system from Locution Systems?

I'm looking for pros/cons from ANYONE that has had exposure to this product or the company.

Sir Mustard
    http://thewatchdesk.blogspot.com/

Some Guy

The Los Angeles Fire Department is the only one that I know that uses it.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Austin Fire

Austin, TX FD has it. It has it's problems like not able to pronounce some streets so it will say "refer to MDC for address". It had some major bugs in the beginning, but now it seems great.
    One problem is that if the engine is out of the house and the ladder is sleeping, then it will still send the message to the station for the engine so it wakes up the truckies. And we all know how grumpy they get when they don't get their sleep.
    Pretty good system in my opinion though. Everyone has a name for the voice. I believe LAFD uses Digital Dorothy. AFD uses several though for her.

Forum Member

We just switched to it in Jan. along with 800mhz. radio system. We have had a few bugs to work out, more with the 800mhz. than with Locution. The only real problem that I have seen is as stated above, that the computer can't pronounce some of the street names correctly and can't pronounce some at all. We have been issued alpha numeric pagers that alert to each company's tone and display info. for all calls in the city.That helps some with the street problem. (You just have to know your streets ) These pagers are nice in the fact that we usually get more info. on a call than would be given on the radio.
    Over all I think it will work well, just takes time to get used to.

He have it and I must admit, I like it. My particular FD made it kinda fancy, but that ok. One in awhile, it might do down, but I can see where it makes the dispatch process faster.

One item we have at our dual house station is the ability to select which unit you want to hear. Engine only, truck only or both. Pretty sweet, because I dont have to wake up to a call not dispatched for me/my crew.

Other FDs that have it- Las Vegas, NV, Clark Couty, NV, North Las Vegas.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-26-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Forum Member

We have "Locucia" is Seattle. Like other new things, some like it, some don't.

Forum Member

I meant "in" Seattle.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think my old job has it. A few mentioned problems where the ticket didn't always print before they left the house and the inablitly to understand the voice. (Personally not sure if I understand the need for the voice if there is a ticket) That and it started talking before the buzzer stopped buzzing.

Not sure why they would buy a system that doesn't always print the ticket in time. So far it has gotten mixed reviews from the guys I've spoken to.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rip and Run

Well FFFred talks about the printer. I did not even know that was supposed to print out run info. I thoughtit was just an expensive scratch paper machine. All you have to do is hit the feed button and you have instant scratch paper.
    Seriously though, if the "rip and run" was bought with "locucia" we got ripped off. I have never seen it work and I think the department has given up on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by truckmonkey42
    Well FFFred talks about the printer. I did not even know that was supposed to print out run info. I thoughtit was just an expensive scratch paper machine. All you have to do is hit the feed button and you have instant scratch paper.
    Seriously though, if the "rip and run" was bought with "locucia" we got ripped off. I have never seen it work and I think the department has given up on it.

It sounds like my buddy's expeirence isn't uncommon. For as old and antiquated as our dispatching system is in the FDNY (1970s) it still works and gives us a ticket instantly. Funny how these new high-tech systems can't even perform correctly 50% of the time if that.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

We have/had the system in Orlando. It was taken offline after 1 month in service and has not resurfaced (about 2 years ago). I believe we still have it and that it could be put back in service under certain situations.

This is MY opinion:

Pro's
    Easy to understand, clear voice
    No background noise during dispatch
    Uniform dispatch, always the same style/rhythm/speed
    Allows dispatchers to take the next call while the system dispatchs the units

Con's
    Unable to pronounce streets/words (would occasionally spell-out words)
    Slow dispatch, although it is clear and easy to understand, takes much longer
    Live dispatcher is able to provide updates more efficiently to responding units
    COULD help "pencil-pushers" justify reduced staffing in Comm. Center

Like any other tool, I'm sure it depends on how it is used.

Forum Member

We have the rip & run with our set up too. 95% of the time it prints out before dispatch. Usually we hear it start to print and know we're getting ready to be dispatched.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rip and Run

On my previous post about the rip and run, I forgot to include that our calls do come to the regular computer printer but gives limited info. I believe that is actually a function of the CAD. We use the Visinet system. And Motorola Text messenger for our MDC's.

Isn't locution what the Borg did to Captain Picard in Star trek: The Next Generation when they assimilated him and he became Locutus of Borg?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Some more info. on my last posting. Locution does work very well, really. It is a smooth, clean easy to understand dispatch.

PLUS, my FD uses laser printers in the system. Nice and clean. No ripping. Locution comes on, tones, dispatch and walk up to a nice printed dispatch page that will NOT smear.

I like the system.

Forum Member

We've been using Locution's voice alerting technology as but one element of our agency-built dispatch system since February 22, 2000.

On an average day, we dispatch 1,956 responses. So far, that's more than 4.2 million dispatches through Locution, and I'm not aware of any problems similar to what others are speaking of.

Then again, as I was told: Locution is a company providing digitized human voice technology - NOT computer aided dispatch systems, which unless I'm mistaken, are built by third parties and often integrated by, well... I'll be charitable.

Much of what I'm hearing in this thread seems to be problems with specification, design and disparate systems integration, and not a particular problems with any single vendor.

The bottom line? Poor specification, procurement, design, purchase, development, testing, training, deployment and maintenance of any system is likely to lead to problems.

This reply is not an endorsement.

Brian
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Unhappy locution problems

Seattle has locution but there is at least a 1-2 minute delay, has any one else experience this?

Thread Information