MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBA Harnesses w/ Other then SCOTT 4.5

Hey gang, I work in a department that uses SCOTT 50's and teach on a state and county level that is predominantly SCOTT SCBA's. Occassionally we have students with other manufacturers like Drager, Survivair etc., whose SCBA frames are made of plastic. I have seen a few crack or other components break where I have never had such an occurance with SCOTT's metal and/or wire frames. Looking for some input from other instructors or those whom conduct drills with other manufacterers other then SCOTT and if they have had similiar experiences of breakage, or if their packs stand up to the normal SCBA Harness Operation to use for dragging, lowering a firefighter off a roof via rope or out a window with a rope/ladder combination.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up MSA Airpacks....

Hello ALSFireFighter,
    I am a firefighter from Palmer Alaska.I am aslo a MSA MMR Tech.I have been with this deparment for 4 years and we have use MSA Airpacks.One style of air pack we have is a vulcan Harness.And recently threw a grant we purchased new MSA airpacks that are FireHawks.There are only a couple of differances between the two packs and that is the vulcan airpacks do not have handles on the sides as to where the FireHawks Do.Also the FireHawk frames have a sliding first stage regulator.In my 4 years i have not had any of these air frames for these packs crack,break or for that matter any problems at all with the frames.Dont know is this will help any but here is my two cents about MSA Airpacks.Sincerly,Rich

Forum Member

My company uses Survivair for the past 10 years plus. We have done everything with them that any Scott user has and have had no problems at all.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the input so far brothers. I appreciate it.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com...0cc90df516c4d8

The above incident is the only one "that I know of" that has been documented at the reqional / national level.

Definitely shows that there is always a possibility of an occurence no matter what the brand.

When it all goes to hell in a hand basket ya gotta do what you can to make positive things happen.

Training with different techniques and different brands of equipment is what keeps the information flowing to all of us.
    TecRsq
    North Georgia

- Let No Mans Ghost Come Back To Say My Fire Training Let Me Down -

Forum Member

last night we tried the isi packs for drag and lowering and had cracking of the plastic also. as a team we decided that the area of the cracking and the severity of the damage was not enough to discontinue using them this way for rescue purpose.

Thread Information