Forum Member

Question positive pressure ventilation

my question is to how many dept's use ppv at structure fires compared to negitive pressure and is it used for entry or just ventilation and your thoughts on one verses the other? ( yes i did a search and nothing was found)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maximumflow
    my question is to how many dept's use ppv at structure fires compared to negitive pressure and is it used for entry or just ventilation and your thoughts on one verses the other? ( yes i did a search and nothing was found)
    You might want to try your search again. This topic has been hashed out several times in this forum. I did a search and found quite a few threads with this topic. Some people use PPV and love it and others don't use it and never will. I believe it could be helpful in certain situations, but it can be very dangerous.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Default I love it

In my opinion PPV is the most misunderstood/underused tool we have in the fire service.Most all the myths about how dangerous it is have been proven false by studies done in different departments.Tempest has a great video that discusses its use by Salt Lake FD which is real informative.Its a great place to start if you want information on using PPV.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by smokey63
    Tempest has a great video that discusses its use by Salt Lake FD which is real informative.Its a great place to start if you want information on using PPV.
    Then again, they "may" be biased.....

Max, here is a thread from just a couple of weeks ago....

PPV thread
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

I love the ppv fight! We never use it, never will. Totally unneeded tactic.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

We use it after the fires out. We do not use it during an initial attack. PPV is a great tool that has its time and place. We use it to clear out smoke... After the windows are out and the roof is opened (when necessary). This a lot like CAFS. You do what works best for you.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    (In the voice of Slim Pickens) Ditto!

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-27-2006 at 03:59 PM.

Forum Member

Ok 4th and Fred. I know that the CFD has a PPV unit. How about FDNY? I can't see how anyone can be against a piece of equipment. Maybe the way said equipment is used. But come on 4th, have you ever even used a fan? (Not the ones who bring you coffee cakes)
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Maybe in your area, and with your particular modus operandi, but it works in some places, in some situations. Works for us.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Ok 4th and Fred. I know that the CFD has a PPV unit. How about FDNY? I can't see how anyone can be against a piece of equipment. Maybe the way said equipment is used. But come on 4th, have you ever even used a fan? (Not the ones who bring you coffee cakes)
    Are you talking about that giant one on the back of a truck? 48" or something close to it. I think they got that for the subway but I dont know if it has ever been used. We also have 2 smoke ejector trucks that might get used once a year each. Other than that, no, I have never even seen a ppv fan. Have you ever seen one in the city? I don't think we even have any.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Red face opening old wound

gentilmen, i stand corrected!
    i ran a search and no hits came up under positive pressure ventilation ,sorry for the overload !!

but while on the subject i must say i use ppv for ventilation all the time to clear a structure but not for entry. once the fire has been found and knocked down ppv is started right away while interior ventilation continues. it has been a real asset removing smoke, gases and co 10 times faster than negetive ventilation creating a safer environment for our firefighters.

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS !!

"there is no greater family outside our own than the brotherhood of firefighters"

LT.Dennis

MembersZone Subscriber

We use PPV, hand in hand with fire attack. It is very effective in clearing the smoke and heat allowing you to get to the fire quicker. Reduces the chance of flashover and ventilation is accomplished quicker. Just remember your exit opening. But we don't use it in all situations,because every situation is different.

MembersZone Subscriber

There nice when you want to clear out the training tower.

Thread Information