Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Face it, axes are cooler and chicks dig 'em.
    Thats why they should be polished up and put into parades.

As far as cool goes, you may as well be carrying a shovel if you are carrying a halligan
    Actually come to think of it I think a shovel does have more uses then an pickhead axe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

You have entirely too much time on your hands......And I thought your brother was the weird one!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    You have entirely too much time on your hands......And I thought your brother was the weird one!
    lol
    He is a bit odd
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333
    do any of those two lights have the option of rechargeable AND akaline (c or d size)...i know the Responder light (kohler/brightstar) does...which is a nice advantage...
    The Big Ed can be purchased in either a 4x C-cell configuration or as a rechargeable, but one does not run both. It runs much longer and brighter in the rechargeable configuration.

We use the Big Ed Rechargeable, and while we are not a high-volume dept, we love them so far. Quick battery changes, good battery life, and good light.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333
    Hey y'all, i am looking for a 90degree flashligh, pelican big ed, streamlight survivor, Bright Star DIV 1, any other flashlights that you all recomend (sorry if this thread is elsewhere, i searched for it and looked, but couldn't find it, feel free to post a link or whatnot to the other thread)

can someone give insight on eachones, which ones are the best, worst, pros/cons...

thanks!!!
    Mikie333-

All three 90 degree lights mentioned are very good. I have a good mixture of these lights on my department and that we sell. One nice thing about any of the 4C lights, is that if your fire department provides batteries, then alkaline might be the way to go. These lights cost less and you don't have to worry about replacing rechargeable batteries. Bright Star has a program right now, that if you buy a Responder 4C (from participating dealers.....like me), then you get free bulbs for life. You also get (2) spares with the light housed behind the reflector.

Another option is a side light. About 1/4 of my fire department carries either a Streamlight Fire Vulcan or Bright Star Light Hawk. There are pro's and con's to each.

First of all, I have the Fire Vulcan that I have attached to my truck belt. This provides a great beam and the blue tail light LED's show up well in smoke and working on roadways for safety. For the guys that like the shoulder strap, their strap is the best because it offers a quick release style strap that you can easily remove if you need to. The con to this light is that the bulb prongs can become dislodged when your light is banging around on objects and turn off. I have had this happen a few times and this is frustrating.

Your second option would be the new Bright Star Light Hawk, this is the lightest side (box) light available. This light is about .5/1.0 lb lighter than the Fire Vulcan and the head rotates like the Litebox and Firebox. It's bulb is seated in the head by the reflector and looks like it will be less prone to coming loose during operations. The downside to this light is that has red/white LED's and I have not seen it perform at a fire yet. A bunch of guys started getting this light from me and I have had no complaints, but I can't tell you from firsthand experience.

Thank you and let me know if you have any other questions!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Quote Originally Posted by rfd599
    The con to this light is that the bulb prongs can become dislodged when your light is banging around on objects and turn off. I have had this happen a few times and this is frustrating.
    Oh your not the only one with this problem
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=76967
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

I've been using a streamlight LED for the past few months and find it great, it takes 4aaa batteries and is very light. The illumintaion is not a straight beam of light in one direction, it fills the area immeadiately around you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Had "Axe" gotten the spike of the haligan too the head we would have had a great duel. LOL But really let's agree to disagree. Take a flat-headed axe and a halligan.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    Oh your not the only one with this problem
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=76967
    cdemarse-

The problems in that thread have been right on the money. We are a fairly decent sized Streamlight dealer and I have had some communication back and forth from their R & D. They mentioned the soft visors and are sending me (25) to replace on some brothers and sisters lights on the Rockford Fire Department. R & D also mentioned that they are going to be using a new heavier duty prong that is more resistant to banging around.

The battery issue also has been a problem, about 10/70 that I have sold to them lasted less than one year. One customer service rep. told me that it was my fault for stocking these lights in our store to have available for immediate delivery because battery life depletes rapidly while sitting on the shelf. Needless to say, R & D had a few different things to say and issued new batteries at no cost.

If you are looking for a headlamp, steer clear of the Luxeon LED with 2AA batteries. This light is black in color and fits in the new Streamlight headband. The light itself is fantastic if you are not a firefighter, but not practical for our applications. I personally have this light and experienced the light shutting off in the middle of a fire, when I encountered moderate to heavy heat or steam. I also called SL R & D about this issue and they started working on it immediately. They called me back twice on Friday with testing and updated results. I have had about 6/40 of these lights with this problem.

I have been steering all new headlamp purchases towards the 4AA Propolymer or Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon LED (for some reason this light has had no problems with either heat or steam) or the Pelican Steatthlite 4AA or Pelican Stealthlite Recoil LED. All of these lights fit in the Streamlight Rubber Headband (modified innertube).

These are my thoughts as both a firefighter and store owner. I know as a salesman that I should only be telling the good points....but I was a fireman before I had the store.

rfd599

Thanks for the info.

We also received some of the rubber visors(black part the holds the lens in)

We are still experiencing the same problem, I honestly find it hard to believe they didnt secure the bulb somehow.

Please let me know if you find anything that works
    Thanks
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

cdemarse-

I will let you know if anything changes.

Thanks,

rfd599

MembersZone Subscriber

Default pelican little ed

I went with the little ed and love it. Not nearly as big and way bright. I also have a UK 4-AA clipped to my helmet with the light below the brim so it is next to my cheek and lighting where I look.

Forum Member

Take the cord and put it around a clip on front of your turnout coat or around the fastener on the radio pocket to hold it in.
    I've got a Little Ed that I feed rechargeable batteries(voids the warranty though)and haven't had much problem other than dropping the daggum thing before figuring out how to secure it.

Hey mikie, have you worn one on your chest before? Maybe before you invest you should borrow one and try it out. I personally hate the 90 degree chest lights. They are a pain in the *** when you are crawling and they are always in the way of your scba straps. I gave mine away. Just my thoughts on them.

Forum Member

Have you seen the Garrity LED model yet?Do you know how well they work in the usual working conditions we see?

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I usually wear one when I'm the control man and will possibly end up at the standpipe...otherwise Nozzle, Back-up or Doorman I usually just use the trusty garritty light.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default VUlCAN LIGHT ___ RDF599 hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by rfd599 View Post
    Mikie333-

Another option is a side light. About 1/4 of my fire department carries either a Streamlight Fire Vulcan or Bright Star Light Hawk. There are pro's and con's to each.

First of all, I have the Fire Vulcan that I have attached to my truck belt. This provides a great beam and the blue tail light LED's show up well in smoke and working on roadways for safety. For the guys that like the shoulder strap, their strap is the best because it offers a quick release style strap that you can easily remove if you need to. The con to this light is that the bulb prongs can become dislodged when your light is banging around on objects and turn off. I have had this happen a few times and this is frustrating.

rfd599
    I have had the same problem before also, I just contact streamlight about the problem and complained about it. The repair deparment supervisor told me that they have developed a new light socket for the vulcan that is suppose to end the problem of the bulb falling out. They told me to send my light back to them for the repair. I will be sending it in this week.
    Just fyi to all

Forum Member

Thread Information