god

Default Flashlight Comparison

Hey y'all, i am looking for a 90degree flashligh, pelican big ed, streamlight survivor, Bright Star DIV 1, any other flashlights that you all recomend (sorry if this thread is elsewhere, i searched for it and looked, but couldn't find it, feel free to post a link or whatnot to the other thread)

can someone give insight on eachones, which ones are the best, worst, pros/cons...

thanks!!!

Forum Member

Default Survivor

The survivor is the proven winner - big investment- but i would go with it- almost everyone has them. On my vol dept all of us except one guy use the survivor. That said, the others are probably fine too - maybe just not as rugged.

god

wow, i searched again and a lot came up, sorry, you all can add additional comments about other brands or just disregard...thanks!

Forum Member

Have you tired out the Big Ed?

Forum Member

Have you tired out the Big Ed?

http://www.cases4less.com/detail_pelican_pel-3700.html

http://www.copquest.com/15-1300.htm

http://www.pelican-case.com/3750.html

http://www.pelican-cases-flashlights...flashlight.htm

They make a few different models of this flashlight. You can get the rechargable battery or the one that only takes 4C batteries.

MembersZone Subscriber

streamlight survivor is what are department use. They have proven themselves time and time again. I have only used the big ed a couple of times so I can't form a good opinion on that yet.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

god

do any of those two lights have the option of rechargeable AND akaline (c or d size)...i know the Responder light (kohler/brightstar) does...which is a nice advantage...

MembersZone Subscriber

No i dont think so on the survivor.

But hell I only charge mine once a month and it only takes an hour
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

Hey mikie, have you worn one on your chest before? Maybe before you invest you should borrow one and try it out. I personally hate the 90 degree chest lights. They are a pain in the *** when you are crawling and they are always in the way of your scba straps. I gave mine away. Just my thoughts on them.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Hey mikie, have you worn one on your chest before? Maybe before you invest you should borrow one and try it out. I personally hate the 90 degree chest lights. They are a pain in the *** when you are crawling and they are always in the way of your scba straps. I gave mine away. Just my thoughts on them.
    I usually wear one when I'm the control man and will possibly end up at the standpipe...otherwise Nozzle, Back-up or Doorman I usually just use the trusty garritty light.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I usually wear one when I'm the control man and will possibly end up at the standpipe...otherwise Nozzle, Back-up or Doorman I usually just use the trusty garritty light.

FTM-PTB
    Likewise....on Control and Door I carry a trukie light as well......that one I end up leaving on by a door.

As for the survivor light.....I turned mine upside down.....so the beam is not in your face when crawling......

Forum Member

I always wear the big box light (truckie light). Unless I'm in the engine, then I wear the 90 degree survivor light! The larger truckie light seems to get in the way when you have the line on the same side of your body as the light! I know some guys that when they are on the inside team they were the 90 degree light, but if they have the ROOF or OV they use the larger box light!

MembersZone Subscriber

I am curious on how they get in the way when crawling? I have mine attached with the velcro wrap and the clip goes through another pice on the coat. Its is relatively tight against my gear. Aybe its a difference in how our gear is set up??

Anyway, I too use a garrity on my helmet, and because I work on a quint(I know what you are thinking and I am not a fan of them myself) sometimes we act as a trcuk company so if I am not going to be on a hose line, I hook a litebox on my belt.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    I am curious on how they get in the way when crawling? I have mine attached with the velcro wrap and the clip goes through another pice on the coat. Its is relatively tight against my gear. Aybe its a difference in how our gear is set up??
    The new coats have the same set up here with the strap and hook, but it still seemed to get in the way all the time. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough to put up with it! The old coats dont have anywhere to attach it and thats what I wear most of the time so it's not an issue anymore. I just don't like too much stuff hanging off of me. I have a small handlight hanging on my belt and thats all I want.

MembersZone Subscriber

The new coats have the same set up here with the strap and hook, but it still seemed to get in the way all the time. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough to put up with it! The old coats dont have anywhere to attach it and thats what I wear most of the time so it's not an issue anymore. I just don't like too much stuff hanging off of me. I have a small handlight hanging on my belt and thats all I want.
    your worried about the flashlight getting in the way but you always carry that damn 8lb door wedge
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    your worried about the flashlight getting in the way but you always carry that damn 8lb door wedge
    Here we go..... The axe is better and the proof is no one in Backdraft had the nickname "Halligan". Now just admit I'm right and grab your real firemans tool - the pick head axe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Here we go..... The axe is better and the proof is no one in Backdraft had the nickname "Halligan". Now just admit I'm right and grab your real firemans tool - the pick head axe!
    That is because no one in Backdraft was cool enough to have the name Halligan
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

That is because no one in Backdraft was cool enough to have the name Halligan
    Are you kidding? You better take that back! Bull and crew are by far the coolest. Don't even bring up those ladder 49 cry baby sissies! Plus, how are you gonna have a halligan fight in a burning building? It makes no sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you kidding? You better take that back! Bull and crew are by far the coolest. Don't even bring up those ladder 49 cry baby sissies! Plus, how are you gonna have a halligan fight in a burning building? It makes no sense.
    oh I agree that L49 are sissies. BUT A halligan fight would have been much better, it has 3 working ends and your weenie axe only has 2......err better make that 1 cause each end is only half useful.
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

oh I agree that L49 are sissies.
    At least we have some common ground.
    BUT A halligan fight would have been much better, it has 3 working ends and your weenie axe only has 2......err better make that 1 cause each end is only half useful.
    What are you gonna do? Pry his eye out with the adze? Nothing says "I win" like an axe in your skull. Face it, axes are cooler and chicks dig 'em. As far as cool goes, you may as well be carrying a shovel if you are carrying a halligan.

MembersZone Subscriber

Face it, axes are cooler and chicks dig 'em.
    Thats why they should be polished up and put into parades.

As far as cool goes, you may as well be carrying a shovel if you are carrying a halligan
    Actually come to think of it I think a shovel does have more uses then an pickhead axe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

You have entirely too much time on your hands......And I thought your brother was the weird one!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    You have entirely too much time on your hands......And I thought your brother was the weird one!
    lol
    He is a bit odd
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333
    do any of those two lights have the option of rechargeable AND akaline (c or d size)...i know the Responder light (kohler/brightstar) does...which is a nice advantage...
    The Big Ed can be purchased in either a 4x C-cell configuration or as a rechargeable, but one does not run both. It runs much longer and brighter in the rechargeable configuration.

We use the Big Ed Rechargeable, and while we are not a high-volume dept, we love them so far. Quick battery changes, good battery life, and good light.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333
    Hey y'all, i am looking for a 90degree flashligh, pelican big ed, streamlight survivor, Bright Star DIV 1, any other flashlights that you all recomend (sorry if this thread is elsewhere, i searched for it and looked, but couldn't find it, feel free to post a link or whatnot to the other thread)

can someone give insight on eachones, which ones are the best, worst, pros/cons...

thanks!!!
    Mikie333-

All three 90 degree lights mentioned are very good. I have a good mixture of these lights on my department and that we sell. One nice thing about any of the 4C lights, is that if your fire department provides batteries, then alkaline might be the way to go. These lights cost less and you don't have to worry about replacing rechargeable batteries. Bright Star has a program right now, that if you buy a Responder 4C (from participating dealers.....like me), then you get free bulbs for life. You also get (2) spares with the light housed behind the reflector.

Another option is a side light. About 1/4 of my fire department carries either a Streamlight Fire Vulcan or Bright Star Light Hawk. There are pro's and con's to each.

First of all, I have the Fire Vulcan that I have attached to my truck belt. This provides a great beam and the blue tail light LED's show up well in smoke and working on roadways for safety. For the guys that like the shoulder strap, their strap is the best because it offers a quick release style strap that you can easily remove if you need to. The con to this light is that the bulb prongs can become dislodged when your light is banging around on objects and turn off. I have had this happen a few times and this is frustrating.

Your second option would be the new Bright Star Light Hawk, this is the lightest side (box) light available. This light is about .5/1.0 lb lighter than the Fire Vulcan and the head rotates like the Litebox and Firebox. It's bulb is seated in the head by the reflector and looks like it will be less prone to coming loose during operations. The downside to this light is that has red/white LED's and I have not seen it perform at a fire yet. A bunch of guys started getting this light from me and I have had no complaints, but I can't tell you from firsthand experience.

Thank you and let me know if you have any other questions!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Thread Information