Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    god
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    255

    Default Flashlight Comparison

    Hey y'all, i am looking for a 90degree flashligh, pelican big ed, streamlight survivor, Bright Star DIV 1, any other flashlights that you all recomend (sorry if this thread is elsewhere, i searched for it and looked, but couldn't find it, feel free to post a link or whatnot to the other thread)

    can someone give insight on eachones, which ones are the best, worst, pros/cons...

    thanks!!!


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    94

    Default Survivor

    The survivor is the proven winner - big investment- but i would go with it- almost everyone has them. On my vol dept all of us except one guy use the survivor. That said, the others are probably fine too - maybe just not as rugged.

  3. #3
    god
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    255

    Default

    wow, i searched again and a lot came up, sorry, you all can add additional comments about other brands or just disregard...thanks!

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Have you tired out the Big Ed?

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Have you tired out the Big Ed?

    http://www.cases4less.com/detail_pelican_pel-3700.html

    http://www.copquest.com/15-1300.htm

    http://www.pelican-case.com/3750.html

    http://www.pelican-cases-flashlights...flashlight.htm

    They make a few different models of this flashlight. You can get the rechargable battery or the one that only takes 4C batteries.

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    493

    Default

    streamlight survivor is what are department use. They have proven themselves time and time again. I have only used the big ed a couple of times so I can't form a good opinion on that yet.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

  7. #7
    god
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    255

    Default

    do any of those two lights have the option of rechargeable AND akaline (c or d size)...i know the Responder light (kohler/brightstar) does...which is a nice advantage...

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    493

    Default

    No i dont think so on the survivor.

    But hell I only charge mine once a month and it only takes an hour
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    Hey mikie, have you worn one on your chest before? Maybe before you invest you should borrow one and try it out. I personally hate the 90 degree chest lights. They are a pain in the *** when you are crawling and they are always in the way of your scba straps. I gave mine away. Just my thoughts on them.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Hey mikie, have you worn one on your chest before? Maybe before you invest you should borrow one and try it out. I personally hate the 90 degree chest lights. They are a pain in the *** when you are crawling and they are always in the way of your scba straps. I gave mine away. Just my thoughts on them.
    I usually wear one when I'm the control man and will possibly end up at the standpipe...otherwise Nozzle, Back-up or Doorman I usually just use the trusty garritty light.

    FTM-PTB

  11. #11
    Forum Member VinnieB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the couch in my skivvies
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I usually wear one when I'm the control man and will possibly end up at the standpipe...otherwise Nozzle, Back-up or Doorman I usually just use the trusty garritty light.

    FTM-PTB
    Likewise....on Control and Door I carry a trukie light as well......that one I end up leaving on by a door.

    As for the survivor light.....I turned mine upside down.....so the beam is not in your face when crawling......

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    736

    Default

    I always wear the big box light (truckie light). Unless I'm in the engine, then I wear the 90 degree survivor light! The larger truckie light seems to get in the way when you have the line on the same side of your body as the light! I know some guys that when they are on the inside team they were the 90 degree light, but if they have the ROOF or OV they use the larger box light!

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Hey mikie, have you worn one on your chest before? Maybe before you invest you should borrow one and try it out. I personally hate the 90 degree chest lights. They are a pain in the *** when you are crawling and they are always in the way of your scba straps. I gave mine away. Just my thoughts on them.
    I am curious on how they get in the way when crawling? I have mine attached with the velcro wrap and the clip goes through another pice on the coat. Its is relatively tight against my gear. Aybe its a difference in how our gear is set up??

    Anyway, I too use a garrity on my helmet, and because I work on a quint(I know what you are thinking and I am not a fan of them myself) sometimes we act as a trcuk company so if I am not going to be on a hose line, I hook a litebox on my belt.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    I am curious on how they get in the way when crawling? I have mine attached with the velcro wrap and the clip goes through another pice on the coat. Its is relatively tight against my gear. Aybe its a difference in how our gear is set up??
    The new coats have the same set up here with the strap and hook, but it still seemed to get in the way all the time. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough to put up with it! The old coats dont have anywhere to attach it and thats what I wear most of the time so it's not an issue anymore. I just don't like too much stuff hanging off of me. I have a small handlight hanging on my belt and thats all I want.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    The new coats have the same set up here with the strap and hook, but it still seemed to get in the way all the time. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough to put up with it! The old coats dont have anywhere to attach it and thats what I wear most of the time so it's not an issue anymore. I just don't like too much stuff hanging off of me. I have a small handlight hanging on my belt and thats all I want.
    your worried about the flashlight getting in the way but you always carry that damn 8lb door wedge
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    your worried about the flashlight getting in the way but you always carry that damn 8lb door wedge
    Here we go..... The axe is better and the proof is no one in Backdraft had the nickname "Halligan". Now just admit I'm right and grab your real firemans tool - the pick head axe!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Here we go..... The axe is better and the proof is no one in Backdraft had the nickname "Halligan". Now just admit I'm right and grab your real firemans tool - the pick head axe!
    That is because no one in Backdraft was cool enough to have the name Halligan
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    That is because no one in Backdraft was cool enough to have the name Halligan
    Are you kidding? You better take that back! Bull and crew are by far the coolest. Don't even bring up those ladder 49 cry baby sissies! Plus, how are you gonna have a halligan fight in a burning building? It makes no sense.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Are you kidding? You better take that back! Bull and crew are by far the coolest. Don't even bring up those ladder 49 cry baby sissies! Plus, how are you gonna have a halligan fight in a burning building? It makes no sense.
    oh I agree that L49 are sissies. BUT A halligan fight would have been much better, it has 3 working ends and your weenie axe only has 2......err better make that 1 cause each end is only half useful.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    oh I agree that L49 are sissies.
    At least we have some common ground.
    BUT A halligan fight would have been much better, it has 3 working ends and your weenie axe only has 2......err better make that 1 cause each end is only half useful.
    What are you gonna do? Pry his eye out with the adze? Nothing says "I win" like an axe in your skull. Face it, axes are cooler and chicks dig 'em. As far as cool goes, you may as well be carrying a shovel if you are carrying a halligan.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Flashlight choices
    By sdfd504 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 08:05 PM
  2. Flashlight Help: LED, Xenon?
    By LFD221 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 09:57 PM
  3. Flashlight Review Wanted (Syclone)
    By SamsonFCDES in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 10:05 PM
  4. steamlight vulcan flashlight
    By fyrpiper32 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2003, 09:08 AM
  5. Helmet Comparison Facts Needed
    By CFDENG23 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-14-2001, 10:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts