Forum Member

Default Calling all Dalmatian owners!

I did a search and this doesn't seem to have been covered already, and hopefully I'm posting in the proper area! I am a new Dalmatian owner, I have never had one before and don't know much about them, so I did some reading online about them. My new dog is 6 years old, the family couldn't afford him anymore, he's been fixed, and all his shots are up to date, he's really healthy and house broke. I have already learned about how much they shed, I have read that they can't really stand being cold and all, but my spouse doesn't want hair all over the house. Any advice on how to help control it? Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Shave him or get a maid , or one of those vacumes that rove around the house auomatically .
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

They are the most gentle and loving dogs there are. We lost our old girl last March the 7th after 15 wonderful years. The hair is a problem. About all you can do is groom him with a brush glove every couple of days and be ready to vacuum on a regular basis. Here is a link you might want to look at. It has some good info. http://www.dalpal.com Hope it helps you out.

Q6cap

Forum Member

I can definately feel your pain. Dalmations are wonderful dogs but they definately shed alot. I have to agree with quint6captain though, regular brushing and a good vaccum cleaner are your best bets.
    Stupid People.......Providing Job Security to Public Safety Professionals for ........forever

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree, a regular brushing is about all you can do. Baths seem to help as well. I had two Dals for a few years and the hair was crazy.
    Last edited by brianz; 02-27-2006 at 03:22 PM. Reason: still learning to spell

Forum Member

I have never had one before and don't know much about them,

They're smarter than you. Sooner you accept it, the easier your life will be.

Ok, on a more serious note:

1) Remember that Dalmatians were orginally bred to be guard dogs.

Many people display a caution around dogs like Rotweillers, German Sheperds, and Dobermans that they don't around Dalmatians. Treat them as if they were a smaller member of that group.

Their "role" was to run along with the horses, quickly size up other dogs and chase them out of the way if they thought there was a danger to the horse.

At night, they would lay down with the horses (and catch rats in the stables).

So Dals are predisposed to challenge other dogs in defense of their mission, and chase small fury things.

2) You are now made of felt. And the Dalmatian is made of velcro. He will follow you where ever you go in the house (drives me nuts when I'm trying to clean the house...)

3) Buy this: http://www.organize-everything.com/sweepdetbrus.html
    Actually, buy one for the house, garage, and every car.
    I get mine (in black) from Bed, Bath, & Beyond. You won't believe how well they work.

4) If you have fleece you don't want fur imbedded into, build an outbuilding to house the fleece. Actually, using fabric softener helps a lot...still, fleece and dalmatian fur...wow...it's bad.

5) Get obedience training. Made a huge difference in the quality of my life.

6) Dalmatians appear to be "stubborn" in their own fustrating way.

When a Dalmatian hears "No" he doesn't interpret it as "No, don't do THAT" he interprets it as "No, don't do that in that WAY".

So if he jumps up on the bed from left and you tell him to get off, he will. Since "Getting on the bed from the left" is now prohibited, he will try and find out if it's ok to get on from right, from the foot, during daylight, at night, when only you are sleeping there, when only two people are sleeping, only after you have fallen asleep, if the moon is aligned with Venus while Rush Limbuagh is having a moment of passion with Hillary Clinton.

However, they will eventually figure out that there is no acceptable way to accomplish what they where trying to do.

Or they will wear you down and prove their superior intelligence.

7) Kind of related to 6 above, is that they also have short attention spans -- it comes from being coach dogs, and having to constantly run along with the coach and constantly size up different hazards. My mission in life is to protect this horse at all costs...adapt, improvise, overcome...

And finally, like all dogs, they're all individuals.

I have Jake who I trust as long as I have him in his collar & lead. I wouldn't want to be around if someone actually attacked me, I honestly think he'd go cujo on them. But outside of that, I don't think he'd deliberately hurt someone but he can play rough.

Oscar is Oscar. He makes Bassett Hounds look stressed out, and I could drop him off at a daycare center in the morning and not worry about him and the kids. He just roles with life. Life is good. When the other dogs aren't looking, the cat comes out of the kitchen and rubs against Oscar. Oscar just looks at me with the "Dad, she's touching me!" eyes and does nothing about it.

And we have Misty. She's pyschocotic. Literally. Actually, she's just scared of the world. I don't take her out in public, even leashed, except when necessary because I'm concerned how she would react -- other dogs, little kids, they all make her very anxious. In my house, she's a big luvvy duddy. And actually in public, she's had very strong obedience training which helps with her anxiety (she'll heel and look constantly at you)...still, I just don't want to put her in that situation more than necessary.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Dal190 I'm looking for a male puppy...do you know anyone around?
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Drop me an e-mail @ mkivela@mortlake.org Ray...

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

I had a good friend in my Dal, Four-0. I got him as a pup and trained him myself. My wife and I had two children when he was 2 years old. He loved the kids. Hardly ever had to leash him, he would not leave my side unless I let him. GREAT watch dog. Only bite a few people and never kids. He was a puppy till the end at 14 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

I would echo what everyone else has said...

I too aquired a Dalmation that was not a puppy. My wife gave me a 4 year old female for Christmas. She was rescued from a family that could not care for her.

After a couple of weeks of getting used to each other, she became a wonderful dog and part of the family. She was very protective of the kids and even the house. I has no fear of being gone with her in the house.

She bit me on accident once playing, and she bit a neighbor once who came into the yard while the kids were out playing. I guess the growling and the teeth were not enough of a clue.

We had her almost 6 years and she had to be put down due to a illness and that was about 10 years and three dogs ago. To this day, she was still the best dog I ever owned. And yes, we still have little white hairs surfacing!
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

makes good girls go bad

I have a female Dal, and she is one of the most loyal dogs....EVER. And she howls. Not at anything, JUST at Federal Q sirens. Not hi-lo, or welp...JUST at Fed. Qs. Its pretty cool. But she sheds EVERYWHERE and barks at EVERYthing she is one of the most antisocial dogs to anybody but her "family" that includes family friends who she adopted
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scvfd412
    I have already learned about how much they shed, I have read that they can't really stand being cold and all, but my spouse doesn't want hair all over the house. Any advice on how to help control it? Thanks!
    The dog or the wife??
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Re: Shedding

About all you can really do is groom daily.

Part of the reason Dalmatian coats stay nice and white is they replace their fur frequently.

Two of mine aren't that bad.

Oscar. Oh my. And when he blows his coat in the spring, wow.

The 2nd best thing I've found was a fairly stiff brush sold for grooming shorn show sheep, and #3 is a rubber horse curry comb (http://www.horse.com/products/sku-BJI17.html).

If you spend 5 minutes a day grooming, the dog will probably figure it died and went to heaven. And it's kind of relaxing (not that I do it often enough...)

(OK...#1 best thing is only good for your "heavier" guys like Oscar, not your normal size Dals. If they have enough meat on their bones you're not feeling the spine and such unless you really push...the most effective thing I've found for grooming the back of the neck, back, and sides is a not-razor-sharp pocket knife used to "scrape" the fur off. Work it with the blade at a right angle to the body, scraping it head towards tail, we're not looking to "cut" in, just scrape the fur off. Oscar & Misty I can do this to since they resemble Labs more than Dals, Jake is a normal Dalmatian and I don't think it works as well on his body.)
    Last edited by Dalmatian190; 02-28-2006 at 12:09 AM.

makes good girls go bad

Hey Dal, know of any reason Cocoa (my dal) howls at Fed. Qs? Since you know quite a bit about Dalmations, you might know.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs up Mans best friend

Dal190-I can tell that you truly love your furry mates and this following mantra does not apply to you cos you already know

Anybody who is even contemplating owning a dog of whatever breed, repeat after me.

"There are no bad dogs but plenty of bad owners"

Forum Member

My family used to raise Dalmations. The still have one old girl my sisters affectionately named "Skittles" (??). She's almost 14 years old, and still going strong. Dal's right on in his post...the only thing I could add is they LOVE to ride, man! It doesn't matter what; they'll get on/in it. Our trouble was getting a few OUT of the truck when the parade/ride was over. If you let your Dal ride, please make efforts to ensure he/she does it in as safe a manner possible. Also, deafness is a trait very common among Dalmations, so check for that when you purchase/adopt one. We've had a few in litters over the years, and we were always able to find loving homes for them with people who are aware of their condition and were willing to go the extra mile to accommodate them. Some sellers do not care, and will sell a deaf pup without informing the buyer of its condition. These poor dogs often end up in shelters or dog pounds after their owner discovers the problem.

Forum Member

If you let your Dal ride, please make efforts to ensure he/she does it in as safe a manner possible.

Jake in his younger days...

Jumped out my pickup truck window to chase a turkey one day. ENROUTE TO OUR FIRST DAY OF OBEDIENCE TRAINING!

=====
    As for the siren, lord only knows.

My Oscar is very vocal. Volume sees key -- he'll howl at the firehouse siren if we're there, or the wind is just right for him to hear it at home. He matches it's tone pretty well -- first time he did it (it was a noon time test) we're all looking at each with a "Siren sounds odd today" look till we realized it was being augmented.

He'd also howl at our ambulance tone on a Minitor II (it set off the long, solid alert beep on the pager). This was the trigger event for the two times I witnessed him have a seizure. Keeping the pager turned down to a "normal" and not "Wake the Dead" volume seemed to fix that issue (I have a nice amplified charger I bought myself and all and can't use it )

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    He'd also howl at our ambulance tone on a Minitor II (it set off the long, solid alert beep on the pager). This was the trigger event for the two times I witnessed him have a seizure. Keeping the pager turned down to a "normal" and not "Wake the Dead" volume seemed to fix that issue (I have a nice amplified charger I bought myself and all and can't use it )
    Not to go too far off topic but, I have a lab that has seizures when she is awoken suddenly. It is a heartwrenching experience to witness. And there isnt much that can be done while the seizure is in progress. Did you ever figure out what the underlying cause of the seizures was?
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt
    Not to go too far off topic but, I have a lab that has seizures when she is awoken suddenly. It is a heartwrenching experience to witness. And there isnt much that can be done while the seizure is in progress. Did you ever figure out what the underlying cause of the seizures was?
    There are med's available -- I work part time in retail pharmacy and I've seen a fair share of Phenobarbital given to pets in small doses.

I would think that you treat them the same as a human -- make sure they're not going to hurt themselves -- block stairways, keep them away from things that they could knock over like floor lamps or plants, keep them off high furniture, etc. Fortunately, they don't have as far to fall as humans.

Back on topic -- a guy in my dept. had a Dalmatian that was such a hit at parades -- usually just the only one in the parade, so he got a lot of attention and he loved every minute of it. He was so good with kids, too and his owners didn't have any so it wasn't like he was around them a lot. May he rest in peace.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Default Thanks!

Thank you for all the replies, Spot (named by a child) is really lovable and a great pet to have. This is a picture thats about 2 months old, as soon as we got him, we put him in our towns Christmas parade, he acted like he's done it all his life! Of course, this was taken near the end, and he wasn't as excited then!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scvfd412; 03-01-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Forum Member

No...

I brought him to the vets the first time in a panic (of course, by the time we get there he walks in "Hi, how are you, can you pet me while I lick your face, fine morning isn't it?")

My vet's pretty good on the "practical" side so unless it became a quarterly or more frequent event, she doesn't usually recommend running all the tests and such to determine a treatment -- kind of cure is worse than the curse thing at low frequency of seizure.

Forum Member

Same thing everyone else said. Oh and if she doesnt want hair in the house, build her a doghouse. (The wife, not the dog.) Invest in a Dyson (why anyone would pay $600 for a vacuum is beyond me.......)

One thing Dals are prone to, besides deafness, is bladder infections and vision problems.......especially if they have blue eyes.

I have 2 Dals.....My male "Tiller" is 10. "Brooklyn" my female is about 8 and a half. I also have a Dalmatian/Austrailian Shepherd mix, which I swear is the dumbest dog on the face of the planet. Either that or he is a great actor!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

This is our station dog. There was a contest between the elementary school's to name her. The winning name... "Blaze"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepimp
    ...one of those vacumes that rove around the house auomatically .
    Like one of these?

robotic vacuum

IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Thread Information