Forum Member

Cool Battlestar Galactica

Any fans of Sci-Fi Channel's series Battlestar Galatica here on Firehouse.com?

I've been hooked!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I much preferred the original series. Still having a tough time figuring out what Richard Hatch was thinking when he made the new series so much like "today".

Whoever heard of Futuristic humans from another galaxy wearing 3 piece Armani suits anyway?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    I much preferred the original series. Still having a tough time figuring out what Richard Hatch was thinking when he made the new series so much like "today".

Whoever heard of Futuristic humans from another galaxy wearing 3 piece Armani suits anyway?

I always thought Armani was kind of out of this world.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Any fans of Sci-Fi Channel's series Battlestar Galatica here on Firehouse.com?

I've been hooked!

Like the show. Really like the twists.

Don't care for the Vice President....No, not cheney
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spearsm
    Like the show. Really like the twists.

Don't care for the Vice President....No, not cheney
    I loved the plot twist on Cylon occupied Caprica, with Gaius being "in the head" of 6 and doing to her what her counterpart is doing to Gaius on the Galactica... a total "mindfrack"!

The 2 part season finale starts next Friday... should be interesting!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Was a big fan of the original. Not really followed the new one. Watched the first episode but none since.

Besides, Im still grieving over Next Generation being over.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Love the show. I've downloaded all of them on i-Toons.

Forum Member

I don't think Richard Hatch had much to do with this one -- listening to the producers, he turned around late.

IIRC, he still writes a series of books based on the classic Galactica story lines.

And the new one Fracking Rocks!

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I can't say I'm a big fan. I do enjoy watching it when I can and I do try to watch it but if I can't oh well.

To me the two series are two different things. I did enjoy the orginial but I do like the new one for it's different view.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

FELDERCARB!! Haven't watched the new one but the old ones were a classic
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    FELDERCARB!! Haven't watched the new one but the old ones were a classic
    Not sure I like the reversal of a male Starbuck becoming ..... female? Granted she is a nice looking lady, but still...... And the original Cylons were ALIEN organic/machine composites, with multiple brains.

I can't help but wonder also, what they paid Scott Glenn (original author or director?) for the rights on this one.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

I liked the cheesy old series, but even though I haven't had a chance to watch much of the new one, I think it's much better - grittier, darker, better writing and dialog, complex characters, and they actually make some nods to the laws of physics (spacecraft using thrusters to turn rather than banking like airplanes, etc.).

Forum Member

For all of you that like the classic original.....

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvs...tar-galactica/

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

I was told that if you enjoyed the original,you wouldn't like the new one much but I do like both.
    It's interesting how they changed the sexes and races of some of the crew but it's mostly for better than worse.
    Whoever'd thunk I'd look at Boomer as a hottie,even if she is a Cylon?

Forum Member

While I was a fan of the original, I feel the new incarnation is much darker and much better.

So many of the themes deal with our present day world..

The differences in religions, for example: The Coloinals have a belief in multiple gods, the Cylons, a creation of man, believe in one.

The Cylons themselves: they were created by man, rebelled (did the Colonials become victims of their own technologies?) then adapted adopting humanoid form, right down to the reproductive system, ie, Helo and Sharon Valerii having a child... a mix of human and machine, not unlike artificial joints, hearts, pacemakers, implanted defibs, etc.

The politics: the original series did not get into politics at all, while this version does.. a central government that survived (kind of like our line of succession would do if there was a massive attack upon us... and theoretically, it could happen), political opposition, etc.

Guerilla warfare: there are still some humans on the Cylon occupied planets, raising havoc and awaiting the return of the Galactica to find them.

The abortion issue: and the differences between the religious faction within the colonials versus the rights of the individuals to have control over their own bodies.

The enemy within: the humanoid Cylons.. much like the parralel of terrorists in our midst.

The dependence on technology: the newer version has the Cylon attack beginning with the corruption of the Colonial's defensive systems initiated by a humaniod cylon (6, protrayed by Tricia Helfer) who was working with Dr. Gaius Baltar and seducing him... sex is power.

Conflicts in the Military: when the Battlestar Pegasus arrived ( like the glactica, their computer system was down for routine maintenance when the cylons attacked) Admiral Helena Cain (portayed by Michelle Forbes, who had a recurring role on Star Trek: TNG as Ensign Rho) was found to have a dark side.. her attitude was 'anything goes in times of warfare". An accidental; death on the Pegasus leads to a snap courtmatial of 2 pof Galactica's crew members, Adama played a high stakes game of chicken with vipers, raptors and weapons trained on Pegasus and vice versa. Both percieve each other as a threat....

And.. the new Battlestar Galactica gave us a new expletive.... frack!

Note to Rick, aka Malahat 27: it is your patriotic duty to watch the new version.. most of the cast are Canadians!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-01-2006 at 12:40 PM.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I like both, the new one is much better. Especially if you watch in in HDTV!!! I can remember watching the old Buck Rogers, not a big fan. But god did I love Col Wilma Deering and her outfits!
    IACOJ Lt-Eng32ine

Forum Member

[QUOTE=CaptainGonzo] Admiral Helena Cain (portayed by Michelle Forbes, who had a recurring role on Star Trek: TNG as Ensign Rho) was found to have a dark side.. her attitude was 'anything goes in times of warfare".

And.. the new Battlestar Galactica gave us a new expletive.... frack!

So THAT'S why Admiral Caine looked and sounded so familiar.She looked even better than she did on ST:TNG.(said he with a lewd and lacivious leer)
    I'da liked to seen the Galactica and Pegasus strap each other on,too.That'd have been the fight of the century.
    Also,they did use "Frack"in the old series,it just wasn't tossed around as freely as they do in the new and it wasn't specific as to what it meant.I just knew that it was a dirty word when Starbuck used it.
    In the new,it seems to be a specific word for an action verb we all often do and say.

MembersZone Subscriber

Note to Rick, aka Malahat 27: it is your patriotic duty to watch the new version.. most of the cast are Canadians!
    SMART ALEC!

In reference to Galactica vs Pegasus, that happened in the original series too, with somewhat similar results, although in the original both ships went into a combined battle against several Cylon Base ships, and the Pegasus was "lost" in the background. No one knows if she was destroyed in the suicide run that Cain set up, or if she got through and took a heading to the "Second star on the right...."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFCLTE32
    I like both, the new one is much better. Especially if you watch in in HDTV!!! I can remember watching the old Buck Rogers, not a big fan. But god did I love Col Wilma Deering and her outfits!

Oh that's right! I forgot about Wilma~!

BUGABUGA BUGA... GET `EM BUCK!
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Although I really liked the original series and the new series, Galactica 1980 (IIRC) was a complete Dud!
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Unhappy short seasons

The only thing I don't like about the new BG is that the seasons are so short. Season 3 only started like Oct 6th and now Dec 15th is going to be the season finale. What's up with that?

Thread Information