Thread: Pedestal pump

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pedestal pump

Working on specing a new engine with a mid ship pump, on company is specing a pedistal pump and then they plumb it to the outlets. Has any one had experience with this compared to a full body pump?

Forum Member

Usually pedestal pumps are used for rear mounts. It is cheaper for the manufacturer to build it the way you describe. If your going midship, stick with a traditional midship fully cast pump. If you prefer to have a fully stainless pump and plumbing, Hale offers a pedestal pump with intake and discharge plumbing as a package.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tit for tat in my opinion. Some builders will buy the pump and fab their own stainless or galvanized plumbing. Some builders specifically want to put in a full body unit to save on their labor.

I suspect the pedestal pump is a DSD model. If you really want a Q-Max or whatever, ask the builder in question to put one in. Some builders like the flexibility of building their own manifold and routing the plumbing the way they want to. You can bet the builder that won't do their own plumbing will badmouth the one that does.

Remember, every builder has a way they've done things, and still does them, as it sets them apart from the other guys. It doesn't mean they won't do it the way you want, but they're just quoting you the way they normally do it.

Our newest engine is a rear mount, and I think the builder did a great job with the manifold and plumbing. I see no reason why it wouldn't work fine in a midship application.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would highly recommend a pedestal pump for both rear-mount and midship applications, IF you have a manufacturer that has a good track record with plumbing them.

A well-designed and plumbed pedestal-mount will offer you numerous advantages, including:

- Better space utilization: more compact package with more usable compartment space
    - More flexible and customizable plumbing setup, now and in the future
    - More maintenance friendly
    - Potentially lower weight and lower cost (depending on manufacturer and setup)

I'm a big rear-mount fan, but also have some recommendations for pedestals in midship applications. Drop me a line if you're looking for some input.

NPFD, who built your new pumper?

MembersZone Subscriber

General Safety built our rig. I could be called biased, but my opinion of the rig we spent our money on is honest and frank.

Should I get a big red R tattooed on my buttocks?

Thread Information