View Poll Results: As an emergency responder, do you believe the 'government' can respond to a disaster?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 32.00%
  • No

17 68.00%
    Forum Member

Question Do you think the 'government' can respond?

According to a CBS News show, 51% of Americans don't think that the 'government' can respond to a disaster. As an emergency responder, lets hear your comments. Do you in fact believe that the 'government' can respond appropriately to a disaster?
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

Sure it can...eventually.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

The government doesn't respond, we do. They just hold hearings to figure out who screwed up.

HNFC FF/President

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt
    The government doesn't respond, we do. They just hold hearings to figure out who screwed up.

i'll 2nd that
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Ummmmm WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT!!! Local, state, federal, and individual citizens, we are ALL the government. It is up to everyone at every level to be prepared and to take responcibility to do what you can do.

Saying that the "government" failed is just saying that you failed.

If you have to stretch further to pull it off, you stretch as far as you can, and then worry about what went wrong for the next time.

Always blaiming it on what ever level of government appears above you, or your leadership, is no different than the little kids blaiming their homework troubles on others.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Saying that the "government" failed is just saying that you failed.
    You can't fail if you're never called. Perhaps the question should be:

Is the government prepared to properly utilize it's resources at a major disaster?

Forum Member

depends on the size of the disaster, and what part of the government are you referring to? can the government respond to another 9/11? and by government, do you mean the first responders and local government, or the feds? and then the question is, what type of role should the federal government play? how much responsibility does the local level hold, and how does the state or feds play in that role?

joe citizen loves to blame the federal government for everything that goes wrong. like it was the Fed's fault the response to NO was so bad. l

I think the response starts at the local level. if your local government has a plan, then you will be off to a good start. if your local government has no plan, and you just going to wait until the state or feds swoop in and save the day, well, your already behind the 8-ball.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Yes! They can respond.

I think the response starts at the local level. if your local government has a plan, then you will be off to a good start. if your local government has no plan, and you just going to wait until the state or feds swoop in and save the day, well, your already behind the 8-ball.

I've exprienced this first hand with hurricanes in the past including Ivan in 2004. I do believe the "government" is to blame for improper response to, but Doc hit the nail on the head. A proper response must be corrdinated prior to any event happening. Any natural disaster can be pre-planned just like a any emergency incident type. This strategy must be initiated at the local emergency management level (EMA), then state EMA, and finally federal level. If any local agency is properly corrdinated and prepared for "the big one" there should be no problem when that time comes.
    LT/EMT Wright
    I A C O J
    LOXLEY WARRIORS
    All opinions expressed are solely of my personal opinion and in no way reflect those of my department. This is for those of you who use a large stick to stir excrement.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt
    You can't fail if you're never called. Perhaps the question should be:

Is the government prepared to properly utilize it's resources at a major disaster?
    Define "government". Local, state, federal, shadow conspiracy?

Unless you work for Wackenhut, Rural-Metro, or an industrial fire brigade, we are the government
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

The public in my town do not consider their Fire Department and EMS agencies as government, maybe they do near you, but not by me. And they (along with myself) have faith that those services will respond. They (and I) have little faith in County/State/Federal "government" being able to respond to anything in a timely fashion.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    The public in my town do not consider their Fire Department and EMS agencies as government, maybe they do near you, but not by me. And they (along with myself) have faith that those services will respond. They (and I) have little faith in County/State/Federal "government" being able to respond to anything in a timely fashion.
    People around you must not have taken civics lessons or pay attention to where their taxes go and what their elected officials have control over.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

The government? Who's the gubmnt?

I'll be in at the fire station and have trucks started within about 2 min. I'm the gov't (elected) and FF. 1st mutual aid arrive within 10min. County Emerg Mgmt will be here within about 20 min of calling dispatch. County Sheriff/Road Dept/Public Health/Supervisors/etc & State Troopers in about the same time, Lots of mutual aid within 30-60min. Regional Hazmat or other outside regional reinforcements in about 1 - 1.5hr. Likely could have National Guard advance party/assets on scene in 2-3 hr, additional within 5-8hr. Anything in the state I might ask for within same time period.

Our leftwing wacko governor/wanna run for president ambulance chaser will show up/get in the way as soon as he gets back in the state from his latest Hollywood or NYC fund raising/butt kissing trip.
    Last edited by neiowa; 03-02-2006 at 12:47 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    The government? Who's the gubmnt?

I'll be in at the fire station and have trucks started within about 2 min. I'm the gov't (elected) and FF. 1st mutual aid arrive within 10min. County Emerg Mgmt will be here within about 20 min of calling dispatch. County Sheriff/Road Dept/Public Health/Supervisors/etc & State Troopers in about the same time, Lots of mutual aid within 30-60min. Regional Hazmat or other outside regional reinforcements in about 1 - 1.5hr. Likely could have National Guard advance party/assets on scene in 2-3 hr, additional within 5-8hr. Anything in the state I might ask for within same time period.

Leftwing wacko governor/wanna run for president ambulance chaser will show up/get in the way as soon as he gets back in the state from latest Hollywood or NYC fund raising/butt kissing trip.
    And right-wing wacko author/commentator will run for president right after he pens newest work on how Hillary is responcible for all the devistation.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Actually, they know where their taxes go. But they see a "politically charged, ineffective, group of 7 people" and don't consider the good things in town as part of that. They see too much BS and lip service from the "governing body". They realize their emergency services (FD, EMS, PD) have their acts together so they don't consider us as "beaurocracy".

and we aren't complaining.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Actually, they know where their taxes go. But they see a "politically charged, ineffective, group of 7 people" and don't consider the good things in town as part of that. They see too much BS and lip service from the "governing body". They realize their emergency services (FD, EMS, PD) have their acts together so they don't consider us as "beaurocracy".

and we aren't complaining.
    They need to vote them out. Nothing worse then folks that bitch about things they actully have control over.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Has anyone ever work a major disaster???

How many people posting have worked a major disaster in there area?? If you have never had to take action in coordinating local, state, and federal agencies; how can you comment on how such agencies will respond? The public has no idea what it takes to coordinate a response of anything. We all know the all so common "It took you 30 minutes to get here," we know it didn't but you can't tell them any different. So what I think this all comes down to is what do you consider a response?

As far as hurricanes go: the response of state support can not be initiated until requested by local authorities, and the state must request federal support. May if the persons who are in charge of these agencies knew how the chain of command worked, it would get the response it was hoping for.
    LT/EMT Wright
    I A C O J
    LOXLEY WARRIORS
    All opinions expressed are solely of my personal opinion and in no way reflect those of my department. This is for those of you who use a large stick to stir excrement.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by loxfire16

As far as hurricanes go: the response of state support can not be initiated until requested by local authorities, and the state must request federal support. May if the persons who are in charge of these agencies knew how the chain of command worked, it would get the response it was hoping for.
    The Feds are doing pretty much all that can be done to get you and yours to attend some basic training on how the world works (NIMS & ICS). IE; made it easy to attend/receive the training and at no expense to you.

Thread Information