Forum Member

Default Would this be a problem

hello everyone just had a quick question about Crohns Disease and firefighting.

I was just diagnosed with CD and was wondering if that would effect my chances of getting on a department. Particularly in Mass.

Thanks alot ,
    Jason

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Ridetheformula]hello everyone just had a quick question about Crohns Disease and firefighting.

I was just diagnosed with CD and was wondering if that would effect my chances of getting on a department. Particularly in Mass.

Thanks alot ,
    Jason\

Looks like you got the **** end of the stick man........sorry couldnt resist...I dont think it should be a problem, but look into it with the job you're going for.Good luck with it.

Forum Member

haha yea i see how it is. i'll probably have to go take a trip to the station

MembersZone Subscriber

Got a friend from my old house that had it..still performing his duties to this day...and is getting ready to a stint over seas..Good luck!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

Here is the medical standards guideline for MA.CD appears to be a "category B" (waiverable) condition. I just took a quick look, so you may want to read it more thoroughly.Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you taking Predisone? It can make you gain weight, especially in the face. I've had Chrones since 1990. Be sure to watch what you eat and take your medicine as prescribed. I can't eat anything spicey, corn (especially popcorn), or raw onions. Poppy seeds and berry seeds can also cause me problems. I can eat nuts if I chew them very well. It can play havoc with the body's joints. Above all, try to avoid stress as much as possible.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

MembersZone Subscriber

My wife has had Chron's since 1987, and while I personally don't have it, I've "lived" with it for almost 20 years. Chron's is a rotten disease, however it is controllable with medication. Once the med's control the inflammation there is really nothing that you can't do. My wife had to have surgery about 15 years ago, but since that time the advances in medicine has really helped people deal with Chrons. With the irritable bowel that normally accompanys chron's you will want to make sure that you are always drinking alot of water, but unless you have a really bad case it shouldn't have problems.

You will have to deal with more than someone without, but I have seen my wife become a fighter and develop a much higher tolerance of pain and discomfort that the average joe since she was diagnosed, and I'm sure you'll develop that attitude as well.

I also have an aunt who has had Chrons for nearly 20 years and ended up having a colostomy.....yet she is still an EMT and performs her duties consistently...

I'd recommend you visit the Chron's and Colitis foundation at www.ccfa.org
    They are a wonderful resource for support and information.

Good Luck, and keep you head up. I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Thread Information