Thread: DOD SOPs / SOGs

MembersZone Subscriber

Default DOD SOPs / SOGs

I am tasked with creating new SOP/SOGs for the department. I am trying to find out what some of you might be using. I have several of my old SOPs from civi side fire departments but I want to make sure I include aspects of AR490-20.

If any of you could forward your SOPs or what ever you have it would be most helpful. We are a base FD / EMS service that runs a mix of calls. Everything from ARFF, to structure, to Hazmat to Grassland.

c.jennings2@us.army.mil
    [FONT=Garamond]Asst. Chief Chris Jennings

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out Phoenix Fire Department. They have a lot of information on there web site.

http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/FIRE/forfiredepts.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, thats one of my most used resources however that really does not address any of the specifics such as how DOD base departments handle EOD, WMD or Civil Disturbance emergencies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Camp Dodge has a fire department? First, it's AR420-90 and make sure you also have DODI 6055.6 420-90 may not apply to state owned facilities, but if the commander wants to follow it, that is great.

When did the fire department get formed? Last time I was there, it was 3 security guards who jumped on an Amertek when required.

Federally, EOD is handled by EOD, WMD was a combination of PD, MP and others. Civil Disturbance emergencies had nothing to do with the FD outside of fire response and medical support. I believe it is a violation of Army regulations to use fire apparatus for riot control. This was for my old base, and varies depending on location and departmental capabilities. I belive the Air Force Academy Fire Dept has thier SOP's online.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tiredoldman

420-90... yep typo!!! Camp Dodge is quite confusing as to what is state and what is Federal here, there is actually a mix, Oh.. and add in the Law Enforcement academy as well. My Col. that I report to is a Federal employee so he is looking 420, in fact we are actively working through an assessment right now.

"When did the fire department get formed? Last time I was there, it was 3 security guards who jumped on an Amertek when required."

LoL, I am still laughing at that statement.

Well the fire department has been here for a number of years, albeit somewhat in active from what I understand. I am the first full time firefighter / medic for the base, we have 3 other members who now spend 30% week time here and about 14 others who are 'volunteer'. I am actually employed by the state (department of public defense) as a non-contact worker (supervisor, full time, salary) and the state is paid by the feds. So you are somewhat still right, we are still jumping into the Amertek and rolling. Although I have to say, I have driven allot of top end fire trucks in my days, there is something to be said about being able to drive across the creek to get to a brush fire. The truck is a little dated, but runs like she is new. The biggest downside to the Amertek platform is the lack of cabinet space, all those small square doors don't allow for much storage. We are working on some apparatus changes in future including a new stalemate.

As for the role of the FD in EOD and Civil unrest, I fully understand the FD is not going front line on any of that. However I would expect that we fulfill a support role in a staging area of some sort. I will try to see if I can track down the Air force Academy SOPs online.

Thanks!

If you are back on base, make sure to drop in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Are you kiding me...

Quote Originally Posted by cjennings
    Tiredoldman

420-90... yep typo!!! Camp Dodge is quite confusing as to what is state and what is Federal here, there is actually a mix, Oh.. and add in the Law Enforcement academy as well. My Col. that I report to is a Federal employee so he is looking 420, in fact we are actively working through an assessment right now.

"When did the fire department get formed? Last time I was there, it was 3 security guards who jumped on an Amertek when required."

LoL, I am still laughing at that statement.

Well the fire department has been here for a number of years, albeit somewhat in active from what I understand. I am the first full time firefighter / medic for the base, we have 3 other members who now spend 30% week time here and about 14 others who are 'volunteer'. I am actually employed by the state (department of public defense) as a non-contact worker (supervisor, full time, salary) and the state is paid by the feds. So you are somewhat still right, we are still jumping into the Amertek and rolling. Although I have to say, I have driven allot of top end fire trucks in my days, there is something to be said about being able to drive across the creek to get to a brush fire. The truck is a little dated, but runs like she is new. The biggest downside to the Amertek platform is the lack of cabinet space, all those small square doors don't allow for much storage. We are working on some apparatus changes in future including a new stalemate.

As for the role of the FD in EOD and Civil unrest, I fully understand the FD is not going front line on any of that. However I would expect that we fulfill a support role in a staging area of some sort. I will try to see if I can track down the Air force Academy SOPs online.

Thanks!

If you are back on base, make sure to drop in.

I think you are way in over your head!!!..
    You are the Supervisor and asking others for SOP's for your department?
    Just a suggestion here, why not form a committe with all the members and develope your oun SOP's.
    Hell, for the right price I will come there and develope your SOP's for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Gee… thanks for the support…

Thanks for the offer, but rest assured that is something I am fully capable of doing and ultimately what I was hired for. Unlike most, I have gone from civi side to dod side, so I am just trying to do a little research. Otherwise I would simple take my previous depts SOPs and change the station name... The only real difference surfacing so far, is the military's usage of a Fire Marshal, not something typically seen or used in the same manner in city FDs.

Working with my base ATO (anti-terrorism officer) there are specific response protocols they want followed / developed in specific events. That was really what I was looking for.

Mike & Shawn: Thanks for the specific that were sent direct. That was what pretty much what I had drafted.

Thread Information