Permanently Removed

Angry Calif. Governor Skips Slain CHP Officer's Funeral to Go To Fund Raiser

And the hits keep right on coming. What a total piece of $hit...Bou

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 04:59:32 +0000

Governor Skips Slain CHP Officer's Funeral to Go to Fund Raiser In a move that is all too familiar to fallen firefighter families, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger chose not to join more than 4,000 law enforcement and fire service personnel who gathered Thursday to honor slain CHP officer Earl Scott. The governor skipped the 3:00pm service in Modesto in order to attend a 6:00pm fund-raising event in Arizona.

Officer Scott was shot and killed February 17th during a routine traffic stop on State Highway 99 near the Central Valley town of Salida. He was 36 years old. Law enforcement and firefighters from as far away as Massachusetts and South Carolina traveled to Modesto to attend Thursday’s service at the First Baptist Church in Modesto.

But his boss … the governor … had other priorities: a fund raising event in Phoenix for Arizona Sen. John Kyl.

“Every day, CHP officers stand beside the governor, willing to risk their lives to protect his,” said CPF President Lou Paulson. “To repay that service by bl*wing off services for one of their brothers is simply disgraceful.”

Officer Scott is the fifth CHP officer to die in the line of duty in the last six months, and the second within that span to have been shot and killed. The more than 7,000 active CHP officers include the security detail that guards Governor Schwarzenegger and all state officials.

"We have all lost a brother with the slaying of Officer Scott, but the governor can't seem to grasp the gravity of the situation," said Ron Cottingham, President of the Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC). "The governor's priorities are out of whack, and his actions yesterday are unforgivable."

Governor Schwarzenegger has a long history of ignoring memorial services honoring fallen firefighters and law enforcement officers.

In 2004, the governor blew off the California Firefighters Memorial Ceremony to attend a Dodger baseball game, despite having been invited months in advance and offered an opportunity to speak. Last year, he ignored our invitation to the Memorial until his office was prodded by a newspaper reporter the day before the event, and gave 18 hours notice of his attendance. And since he was sworn-in as governor, Schwarzenegger has not attended a single fallen firefighter funeral.

“As firefighters, we’re all too familiar with the governor’s indifference to the families of our fallen brothers and sisters,” said Paulson. “But even by those standards, it’s appalling that the governor would pass up this memorial to attend a fund-raiser. Apparently, the governor’s answer to the families of fallen heroes is ‘Show me the money.’”
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-28-2006 at 05:51 AM.

Permanently Removed
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-28-2006 at 05:48 AM.

Permanently Removed

Take a look- SCREW ARNOLD

Forum Member

Personally, I wouldn't want any politician showing up. They are not one of us so who really wants them.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Well, what did you expect? He skipped the funerals of his own father and brother because it would interfere with his bodybuilding routine. You think he really gives a damn about some police officer?

the 4-1-4

Well, what did you expect? He skipped the funerals of his own father and brother because it would interfere with his bodybuilding routine. You think he really gives a damn about some police officer?

I guess you can add every politician to that thought; the governor of my state skipped our last two LODD, as well. You’re not going to see me out condemning him for that, either.
    Nothing like condemning a person for what you perceive him to be thinking, I have no idea what he is thinking; I’ve never met him.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Personally, I wouldn't want any politician showing up. They are not one of us so who really wants them.
    While I agree, I personnaly have no use for politicians, he should have been there.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman
    You think he really gives a damn about some police officer?
    Actually Nozz, the officer was a CHP. They are also assigned to protect the governor, kinda like the secret service is for the president. So by going to Arizona for a fundraiser, he not only slapped the people in the face who protect his life, he dragged a few high ranking CHiPpys along with him who, I'm sure would have rather attended the funeral of their fallen brother. This guy is a real tool.
    IAFF

Forum Member

I think he is damned if he went and damned that he didn't.

If he went folks would cry that its all politics and he shouldn't have been there.

He doesn't go and people cry he should have been there.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Politics my ***. He isn't going to run again He is the GOVERNOR of the State of California. One of HIS Troopers was slain in the line of duty. He IS damned because he couldnt take 2 hours out of his day.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

If he went folks would cry that its all politics and he shouldn't have been there.
    Bull*****. Pure speculation.

Forum Member

Well, yeah; I knew that. But you can't let good protocol get in the way of making more money for the Reich.

Forum Member

Classic Hollywood POS.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    And the hits keep right on coming. What a total piece of $hit...Bou
    You're no doubt correct. He called Sen. John Kyl yesterday and scheduled a speach in Arizona so he wouldn't have to attend to a funeral. Or perhaps he committed to an event in Arizona a week/month/year ago and followed thru on his committment?

What was he going to do at the funeral? Attract media attention to himself for which you'd be whining? Hold your and cry with you? Perhaps you think he's pleased the trooper was killed as it will reduce CHP payroll expenses?

DiFi or that idiot Pelosi show up? Pelosi can't stay away from a camera.

Or are you just whining about a governor you don't like. Nice you're playing politics with the funeral of a police officer. At least you've got the resident leftist wacko from Tn on your side, good company that.

Forum Member

Default Using your logic neiowa..

So do you think it wouldnt be proper for the Governor of Iowa to do some rescheduling to attend the funeral of a fallen trooper?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

neiowa,

How you could think that attending a fundraiser for political purposes is more important than honoring a public servant who protected the state you serve as governor is beyond me. Did you ever think that maybe it would mean a lot to the family that the governor took time out of his busy day to attend their loved ones funeral?
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    Did you ever think that maybe it would mean a lot to the family that the governor took time out of his busy day to attend their loved ones funeral?
    Did you ever think that maybe it meant more the family that family was there and not some stranger just because he is a politician? Did you ever think they were happy he wasn't there and caused undo commotion due to being a politician and the press that would be following? Don't know any of that, do we?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Bones42,

If the family expressed that they did not want the governor there, that would obviously trump anything else. Other than that, IMHO he still needs to make an appearance. Sorry but I'm not going to budge on this one.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Weak argument Bonesy. Unless specifically asked not to attend, he should have been there. It would have shown some class by the Governor...Although he is a politician, he still is the freaking governor of the state.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

With all, compromise.

Sure sounds like 50% legitimate beef that he should attend in-the-line-of duty deaths, especially for state employees, and if the family wants that style of funeral.

And 50% making hay for sake of making political hay -- who gives a crap if he blew off an annual event a couple years ago? Crimminies, the same person didn't even like it when he *attended* (only 18 hours notice, like some cheese to go with the whine?)

And while Nozz is kind of correct that it's only speculation he would've been criticized for politicizing it if he attended...that speculation isn't unfounded (note the example of whining "he attended but..." above).

MembersZone Subscriber

I know in my state and others that the State Troopers ( Highway Patrol ) provide the security for the Governor. I don't know if this holds true in California, but if it does it's a shame these guys are good enough to keep you safe but not good enough to honor their memory.

Forum Member

Californians voted to recall Davis and elected Schwarzenegger over some 130 or so other candidates by a healthy margin. Those of you CA couldn't see this coming? He's got a lot of name recognition and I'm sure the Republicans aren't going to pass that up when there is some benefit to be had. And aren't many firefighters Republican????

Permanently Removed

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    You're no doubt correct. He called Sen. John Kyl yesterday and scheduled a speach in Arizona so he wouldn't have to attend to a funeral. Or perhaps he committed to an event in Arizona a week/month/year ago and followed thru on his committment?

What was he going to do at the funeral? Attract media attention to himself for which you'd be whining? Hold your and cry with you? Perhaps you think he's pleased the trooper was killed as it will reduce CHP payroll expenses?

DiFi or that idiot Pelosi show up? Pelosi can't stay away from a camera.

Or are you just whining about a governor you don't like. Nice you're playing politics with the funeral of a police officer. At least you've got the resident leftist wacko from Tn on your side, good company that.

Ummmmm....WTF? I think the Gov. should have showed up and paid his proper respects to the slain Officer, no glitz and no glamour.

I am not sure where your going with this attack on me. You are very off base.

-Bou

Permanently Removed

When I make Governor of this state, I promise to attend every public safety funeral.

-Firefighter Bou

Thread Information