1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default Montana's Coal Cowboy...A national security issue.

    "Why wouldn’t we create an economic engine that will take us into the next century, and let those sheiks and dictators and rats and crooks from all over the world boil in their own oil?" Schweitzer said at a press conference.

    Schweitzer has called them rats and crooks and hasn't held back on bit. "Hugo Chavez, the Saudi royal family, the leaders of Iran," he said. "How about the countries that end with 'stan'? Nigeria? You tell me. Sheiks, rats, crooks, dictators, sure."

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1343604.shtml

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ALRIGHT YEAH!!!!

    Its high time we weened ourselves from the middle east teet and stopped using our own hard earned dollars to FUND TERRORISM!!!

    The SINGLE greatest boost we could give to our national security is to become self sufficient in our energy usage. Hence not buying one single drop of bloody crude oil from the Sheiks, rats, crooks, and dictators.

    LET THE BASTARDS BOIL IN THEIR OWN OIL!!!!!
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    656

    Default

    The majority of US imported oil comes from Canada... should we cut that supply off too?

  3. #3
    IACOJ BOD
    FlyingKiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,757

    Default

    Someones being level headed again.



    Drooling out of both sides of their mouth in equal amounts.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

  4. #4
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Thumbs down And................

    The Largest Single user of oil in the US - The United States Navy.
    Second Largest - BNSF Railroad.
    Third...... Fourth....... Fifth....... I dunno, but CSX, Norfolk Southern, Union Pacific would seem likely. The Railroads and Electric Utilities could go back to Coal Fired Steam Power (Locomotives and Power Generating Turbines) except for one minor problem. Nobody except me has the B***s to tell the enviornmental idiots where to get off. The biggest energy problem in America is how much energy we waste because of misguided "Clean Air" Efforts. Send all the Pure Air Idiots to Russia or someplace, and get back on track with Coal as a major energy source.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    The majority of US imported oil comes from Canada... should we cut that supply off too?
    I never have really trusted anything that comes from Canadia.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    The majority of US imported oil comes from Canada... should we cut that supply off too?
    Depends on the price. If we can make the fuel cheaper from coal then importing oil from Canada then I they can keep their oil or drop the price until its economical to buy their oil...which is around 25-30$ a barrel when compaired to synfuel from coal.

    Capitalizm and Democracy at its finest.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    The Largest Single user of oil in the US - The United States Navy.Second Largest - BNSF Railroad.
    Third...... Fourth....... Fifth....... I dunno, but CSX, Norfolk Southern, Union Pacific would seem likely. The Railroads and Electric Utilities could go back to Coal Fired Steam Power (Locomotives and Power Generating Turbines) except for one minor problem. Nobody except me has the B***s to tell the enviornmental idiots where to get off. The biggest energy problem in America is how much energy we waste because of misguided "Clean Air" Efforts. Send all the Pure Air Idiots to Russia or someplace, and get back on track with Coal as a major energy source.
    Hmmmm...A coincidence...I think not. The DOD wants a coal synfuel plant large enough to supply the entire military with synfuel and they want it yesterday. It seems that it will likly go into MT, about 90 miles stright line from where I live.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com...taryenergy.txt

    Military could become main costumer of coal-based fuels
    By WALT WILLIAMS, Chronicle Staff Writer

    The military can help turn a proposal to convert Montana's vast coal supplies into liquid fuel from a dream into a marketable reality, a top U.S. Department of Defense official said Wednesday.

    Coal-based synthetic fuels could replace the fuels the military uses to power its tanks and jet engines, Ted Barna of the Department of Defense said.
    Not only would they give the armed forces a secure domestic supply of fuel to use, they burn cleaner and would be better for the environment as a result.


    "It is hard to build a M1 tank that can pass the same emission (standards) as your Ford Bronco," he said.

    Barna opened the second day of Gov. Brian Schweitzer's two-day energy conference at Montana State University. A top defense official who develops high-concept systems for military use, he sold the governor on the idea of synfuels during a governor's conference a few months ago.

    Schweitzer introduced the speaker by saying that people who think ahead like Barna "are the ones who change the world." The governor then stripped Barna of the yellow tie he was wearing and replaced it with a bolo tie bearing the state seal.


    The governor's office has proposed courting industry to build a coal-to-fuel plant in eastern Montana that would produce 150,000 barrels of synfuel a day.

    Nazi Germany used coal-based synfuel to power its military aircraft during World War II when that country was shut off from oil supplies.

    The high price of synfuel has kept it from enjoying wider use. But now that oil has shot up above $60 a barrel, it has suddenly become a cheaper alternative.

    The nation's armed forces consume 4 percent of the fuels used in the nation, Barna said. The problem is more than half of the nation's oil comes from foreign nations, and that may rise to as high as 75 percent in 2025.

    "We started looking at what resources we have in our nation, and of course we have a lot," Barna said.

    The U.S. has more fuel locked up in coal and oil shale than the Middle East has barrels of oil, he said.

    Barna believes that the military can help make synfuel plants a reality by providing a costumer base for such fuels.

    Large-scale synfuel production still has a ways to go before becoming a reality in the U.S., but Barna believes states and the federal government can help out by in several ways, such as by offering financial incentives to companies who pursue the technology.

    "We need clean energy and we need it now," he said. "We in the (Department of Defense) need it as soon as you can make it for us."
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 03-01-2006 at 10:09 AM.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    I never have really trusted anything that comes from Canadia.
    When it come to national defence and security I dont trust ANYTHING that does not have a made in America sticker. We are complete asslcowns to have let ourselves get in this situation where we need to buy oil from foriegn sources...even to run our military machines!!!! Outrageous.

    Time to change it IMO. We enough coal to tell the oil producing nations of the world to take a hike permanently. I believe we should do it and thats why I voted for Gov. Brian Schweitzer...even though he is a democrat. But he is not a wack job deomcrat like the majority of them, he has a level head and actualy exercises common sence.

    Boil the Sheiks, Rats, Crook, Dictators in their own oil!!!!
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    Depends on the price. If we can make the fuel cheaper from coal then importing oil from Canada then I they can keep their oil or drop the price until its economical to buy their oil...which is around 25-30$ a barrel when compaired to synfuel from coal.

    Capitalizm and Democracy at its finest.
    Making oil from coal is expensive as hell. It is currently not worth the energy or money it takes. It is fine to continue on a research basis to see if we can lower the costs, but to continue pouring tax dollar supported subsidies into it so that they can fake a profit is rediculous and unfair to tax payers.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 03-01-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    When it come to national defence and security I dont trust ANYTHING that does not have a made in America sticker. We are complete asslcowns to have let ourselves get in this situation where we need to buy oil from foriegn sources...even to run our military machines!!!! Outrageous.

    Time to change it IMO. We enough coal to tell the oil producing nations of the world to take a hike permanently. I believe we should do it and thats why I voted for Gov. Brian Schweitzer...even though he is a democrat. But he is not a wack job deomcrat like the majority of them, he has a level head and actualy exercises common sence.

    Boil the Sheiks, Rats, Crook, Dictators in their own oil!!!!
    Thank goodness other Nations do not have the same feelings. The US brings in a trillion or so dollars into our economy every year by helping other Nations with their security needs.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Making oil from coal is expensive as hell. It is currently not worth the energy or money it takes. It is fine to continue on a research basis to see if we can lower the costs, but to continue pouring tax dollar supported subsidies into it so that they can fake a profit is rediculous and unfair to tax payers.
    Negative. With the current technology the price of synfuel from coal is equivalent to 25-30$ per barrel of oil.

    That was a LONG time ago.

    Check the first article (the 60 minutes one) for the numbers.

    Its very feasable and economical right now...unless you think we are going to drop below $30 a barrel anytime soon.

    Most experts say those days are over.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    Negative. With the current technology the price of synfuel from coal is equivalent to 25-30$ per barrel of oil.

    That was a LONG time ago.

    Check the first article (the 60 minutes one) for the numbers.

    Its very feasable and economical right now...unless you think we are going to drop below $30 a barrel anytime soon.

    Most experts say those days are over.
    That is ONLY with subsidies that are not involved in the posted price. You can find tons of info on it at the Department of Energy website. While it is promising for the future, it is not a truly economical alternative at this time, just like ethenol. Take away the subsides and the entire economic models for the fuels implode.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Thank goodness other Nations do not have the same feelings. The US brings in a trillion or so dollars into our economy every year by helping other Nations with their security needs.
    The US gives away more weapons and military aid then it takes in per year. Some of the military harware companies make some money, but the Gov is shelling out a pile for the defence of foreign nations. That can stop to as far as I am concerned.

    As far as other nations using US kit...most dont have a choice. US kit or Russian kit, take you pick.

    The countries that still have the industrial base to produce their own military hardware do so.

    Japan
    UK
    Korea

    It would be much MUCH cheaper for them to buy US military hardware, but they dont becuse they would sooner spend huge amounts of dolar to keep the "Made at Home" sticker on the national defence.

    The one exception for some of these nations is in the air. They lack the industrial base for cutting edge aircraft. Hence the UK joining the US on the JSF, etc....

    When it comes to national defence it pays (even though its more expensive in most cases) to keep the Made at Home sticker on your equipment, and your fuel, etc...
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    That is ONLY with subsidies that are not involved in the posted price. You can find tons of info on it at the Department of Energy website. While it is promising for the future, it is not a truly economical alternative at this time, just like ethenol. Take away the subsides and the entire economic models for the fuels implode.


    Do you have ANY idea how heavily the oil and gas industry is subsidised!?!?!?

    Apparantly not.

    They get bigger tax breaks then any other industry!!!! (not to mention the foreign sources of oil who of course pay FREAKING ZERO IN TAXES!)

    When a new oil well is punched here (I live near the Williston Basisn oil field) they get 18 monts of tax free pumping!!!!

    They pump as hard as they can in the first 18 months, recover the cost of the well, and then drop production WAY down after that...then they get to depreciate the cost of the well out over the NEXT 3 YEARS!!!! (Farm machinery takes 7, construction equiment takes 5...why only 3 for a oil well or pipeline...hmmmmm?)...

    At which point the production comes back up.



    The oil and gas industry gets huge tax breaks, dont kid yourself.

    And that is STILL better then buying oil form foreign sources who pay ZERO TAXES and who have been know to harbor and FUND TERRORITS!

    If you cant see that, you cant see anything.
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 03-01-2006 at 11:35 AM.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    The US gives away more weapons and military aid then it takes in per year. Some of the military harware companies make some money, but the Gov is shelling out a pile for the defence of foreign nations. That can stop to as far as I am concerned.

    As far as other nations using US kit...most dont have a choice. US kit or Russian kit, take you pick.

    The countries that still have the industrial base to produce their own military hardware do so.

    Japan
    UK
    Korea

    It would be much MUCH cheaper for them to buy US military hardware, but they dont becuse they would sooner spend huge amounts of dolar to keep the "Made at Home" sticker on the national defence.

    The one exception for some of these nations is in the air. They lack the industrial base for cutting edge aircraft. Hence the UK joining the US on the JSF, etc....

    When it comes to national defence it pays (even though its more expensive in most cases) to keep the Made at Home sticker on your equipment, and your fuel, etc...
    Go look at the Korean's F-15K's, M-16's, Apachies. Go check out the UK's Apachies(granted they are assembled under lic. but with a lot of US parts), CH-47's, C-17's and C-130's. Go check out the M-16's the the JSDF carries. The US does give out foreign aid, but it really is not that much of the budget, and it is far exceeded by our military exports.

    Our economy is completely dependent on trade, this means trading for oil, trading for automobiles, trading for raw materials. Buying American is a great personal goal, but making it a law or even a loose national policy is not a great idea if we want a functioning and growing economy, which is our true strength.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Go look at the Korean's F-15K's, M-16's, Apachies. Go check out the UK's Apachies(granted they are assembled under lic. but with a lot of US parts), CH-47's, C-17's and C-130's. Go check out the M-16's the the JSDF carries. The US does give out foreign aid, but it really is not that much of the budget, and it is far exceeded by our military exports.

    Our economy is completely dependent on trade, this means trading for oil, trading for automobiles, trading for raw materials. Buying American is a great personal goal, but making it a law or even a loose national policy is not a great idea if we want a functioning and growing economy, which is our true strength.
    So you would sooner buy foreign oil at $70+ dollars a barrel instead of synfuel (which burns cleaner) from a domestic sourse for $30 a barrel.

    If thats the case you are an idiot. If the shoe fits wear it.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES


    Do you have ANY idea how heavily the oil and gas industry is subsidised!?!?!?

    Apparntly not.

    They get bigger tax breaks then any other industry!!!! (not to mention the foreign sources of oil who of cours pay FREAKING ZERO IN TAXES!)

    When a new oil well is punched here (I live near the Williston Basisn oil field) they get 18 monts of tax free pumping!!!!

    They pump as hard as they can in the first 18 months, recover the cost of the well, and then drop production WAY down after that...then they get to depreciate the cost of the well out over the NEXT 3 YEARS!!!! (Far machinery takes 7, construction equiment takes 5...why only 3 for a oil well or pipeline...hmmmmm?)...

    At which point the production comes back up.



    The oil and gas industry gets huge tax breaks, dont kid yourself.

    And that is STILL better then buying oil form foreign sources who pay ZERO TAXES and who have been know to harbor and FUND TERRORITS!

    If you cant see that, you cant see anything.
    Those tax breaks don't touch the direct subsides to the coal to oil, and the ethenol subsides. FACT

    I see that shutting ourselves off the the world might lower our risk of attack, but I would rather live with that small risk(and in the great sceme of things it is small) in an otherwise comfortable lifestyle for my children, than live in a depressed economy where we struggle day to day but not worry at all about terrorist attacks. If YOU can't see that we are better off with trade than with out, you are the truely blind and selfish one.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Those tax breaks don't touch the direct subsides to the coal to oil, and the ethenol subsides. FACT

    I see that shutting ourselves off the the world might lower our risk of attack, but I would rather live with that small risk(and in the great sceme of things it is small) in an otherwise comfortable lifestyle for my children, than live in a depressed economy where we struggle day to day but not worry at all about terrorist attacks. If YOU can't see that we are better off with trade than with out, you are the truely blind and selfish one.
    I have never said anywhere that I dont believe we need trade, so you can cease your atempt to put words in my mouth.

    I said we need to become self sufficient/sustaining in energy (all types and uses) to greatly enhance our national security.

    FACT

    I am starting to believe the old timers when they say that America has gotten soft and that the current generations would have never stood a chance in the 1930-40-50's.

    There are very few patriots anymore that put national security and wellbeing before their "comfortable lifestyle".
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    So you would sooner buy foreign oil at $70+ dollars a barrel instead of synfuel (which burns cleaner) from a domestic sourse for $30 a barrel.

    If thats the case you are an idiot. If the shoe fits wear it.
    We will never be able to produce enough synthetic fuel to have a REAL price that is half, or better, priced over crude oil, atleast not before the current energy down cycle(for consumers) is over. If you want to make the issue so simple, it really is that simple.

    Here is a great analysis of our energy trade and its role in our economy in this week's Fortune Magazine.
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/28/news...tune/index.htm
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    Depends on the price. If we can make the fuel cheaper from coal then importing oil from Canada then I they can keep their oil or drop the price until its economical to buy their oil...which is around 25-30$ a barrel when compaired to synfuel from coal.

    Capitalizm and Democracy at its finest.
    The point is we don't have enough to be self-sufficient... and at what cost the the environment? Been the the johnna oilfield lately? YOUR public lands are being absolutly decimated in by drilling. Permanant roads to areas hundreds of miles into what used to be wild land. Well heads and condensate tanks as far as the eye can see. Don't get me wrong, I am an advocate of responsible drilling and land use. My paycheck is 100% supported by oil dollars.

    It just seems to me that we have other resources available from places such as Canada, Mexico, Venezuela (top 3 importers of petroleum to US), that as long as it's financially practical (it still is) to import it, let's do it!

    The biggest bottleneck is not production of crude, it's refining it into gasoline. I say we invest our dollars on improving refining and building new refineries along with further exploration of alternative fuel sources (hybrid technology, hydrogen, wind, etc)

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    The point is we don't have enough to be self-sufficient... and at what cost the the environment? Been the the johnna oilfield lately? YOUR public lands are being absolutly decimated in by drilling. Permanant roads to areas hundreds of miles into what used to be wild land. Well heads and condensate tanks as far as the eye can see. Don't get me wrong, I am an advocate of responsible drilling and land use. My paycheck is 100% supported by oil dollars.
    Sounds like NIMBY to me.

    Not
    In
    My
    Back
    Yard

    Responsible drilling will cuse roads and such no matter what you do. If we need the oil there is only 1 way to get it so far.

    It just seems to me that we have other resources available from places such as Canada, Mexico, Venezuela (top 3 importers of petroleum to US), that as long as it's financially practical (it still is) to import it, let's do it!
    So you would sooner destroy thier environments!?!?!

    At what cost to the environment!?!?!

    Its all the same planet after all.

    The biggest bottleneck is not production of crude, it's refining it into gasoline. I say we invest our dollars on improving refining and building new refineries along with further exploration of alternative fuel sources (hybrid technology, hydrogen, wind, etc)
    Yes, we do need more refineries. Both coal to liquid and curde oil refineries IMO.

    Now you are talking, hydrogen...I would like to see that for a number of reasons but I am not going to hold my breath, its going to be a long time coming.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  22. #22
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    We will never be able to produce enough synthetic fuel to have a REAL price that is half, or better, priced over crude oil, atleast not before the current energy down cycle(for consumers) is over. If you want to make the issue so simple, it really is that simple.

    Here is a great analysis of our energy trade and its role in our economy in this week's Fortune Magazine.
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/28/news...tune/index.htm
    Reported prices for diesel synfuel from coal are $1 a gallon, add your 75 cents tax and transportation and you have 2 dollar diesel that burns cleaner and with greater performance then regular diesel.

    Its going to happen (already is happening in North Dakota with 1 plant up and running) because it makes economic, environmental, and national security sence.

    Thats the simplicity of it, if money can be made at it then ground will be broke, plants built, coal mined and refined.

    Will it be on a scale large enough to have a national impact, I hope so. There is more then enough coal, that is one FACT we can be sure of.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    I have never said anywhere that I dont believe we need trade, so you can cease your atempt to put words in my mouth.

    I said we need to become self sufficient/sustaining in energy (all types and uses) to greatly enhance our national security.
    Cutting off the oil trade, or any other trade will have a detramental effect on our economy as the rest of the world reacts to their misfortune.

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    I am starting to believe the old timers when they say that America has gotten soft and that the current generations would have never stood a chance in the 1930-40-50's.

    There are very few patriots anymore that put national security and wellbeing before their "comfortable lifestyle".
    Guy's coming of age in the 30's were only tough due to the depression, ten years before they were pretty weak but fun loving in the "roaring 20's", guy's coming of age in the 50's gave us the "peace movement" of the 60's. Only the guy's of the 40's really stepped up with their own internal moxey and showed the world much, but I'll tell you what, those guys signing up for service today where no one is pushing them to do so, and coming back and kicking butt in the worlds of business, education and public service will be the ones thirty years from now who will be judged to be the greatest generation of them all.

    The term "patriot" is misunderstood by most who have not actually served in war or traveled the globe to see the world. America's comfortable lifestyle is why we are great, all the rest is just theoretical, all though it can be directly attributed to the freedoms that come out of the theories on which we are based. We fight for Mom, apple pie, and a new Chevrolet, we see the rest of the world deprived of those things and we take pride in what it means to be American. And some of us have such pride in it, that we want to help spread it to the rest of the world. That is patriotism. Not just hiding out and keeping freedom and comfort to ourselves.


    Occasionally, we have been asked to sacrifice to ensure that we maintain such a life style. If asked the American people can, and I believe would, cut back on energy useage to the point that we could survive on domestic and western oil imports alone. Frankly, that is not needed at this time, unless you have a grudge against the oil companies, or just want to save a little more of your own money.

    Our Nation is strong, our Nation is still generally safe, and as long as our Constitution stands our true National Security will continue to exist and florish.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    Reported prices for diesel synfuel from coal are $1 a gallon, add your 75 cents tax and transportation and you have 2 dollar diesel that burns cleaner and with greater performance then regular diesel.

    Its going to happen (already is happening in North Dakota with 1 plant up and running) because it makes economic, environmental, and national security sence.

    Thats the simplicity of it, if money can be made at it then ground will be broke, plants built, coal mined and refined.

    Will it be on a scale large enough to have a national impact, I hope so. There is more then enough coal, that is one FACT we can be sure of.
    Having enough coal is not the problem, mining it in an enviromentally sound way and processeing it is.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  25. #25
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Cutting off the oil trade, or any other trade will have a detramental effect on our economy as the rest of the world reacts to their misfortune.
    Who is cutting off trade? If the oil importers want to drop the price of oil to $30 dollars a barrel to compete with domestically produced synfuel then great, lets buy it. But as long as we can make fuel for $30 bucks a barrel its makes no sence to buy oil at $31 a barrel.

    Guy's coming of age in the 30's were only tough due to the depression, ten years before they were pretty weak but fun loving in the "roaring 20's", guy's coming of age in the 50's gave us the "peace movement" of the 60's. Only the guy's of the 40's really stepped up with their own internal moxey and showed the world much, but I'll tell you what, those guys signing up for service today where no one is pushing them to do so, and coming back and kicking butt in the worlds of business, education and public service will be the ones thirty years from now who will be judged to be the greatest generation of them all.
    Only time will tell, but I dont see this one happening.

    The term "patriot" is misunderstood by most who have not actually served in war or traveled the globe to see the world. America's comfortable lifestyle is why we are great, all the rest is just theoretical, all though it can be directly attributed to the freedoms that come out of the theories on which we are based. We fight for Mom, apple pie, and a new Chevrolet, we see the rest of the world deprived of those things and we take pride in what it means to be American. And some of us have such pride in it, that we want to help spread it to the rest of the world. That is patriotism. Not just hiding out and keeping freedom and comfort to ourselves.
    Patriotism, Nationalism, comforable lifestyle, freedeom....I dont care what you call it.

    Its all about looking out for Number 1. Buying oil from the Middle East, and getting into multiple conflicts over it, is not in the best intersests of Numero Uno.

    Occasionally, we have been asked to sacrifice to ensure that we maintain such a life style. If asked the American people can, and I believe would, cut back on energy useage to the point that we could survive on domestic and western oil imports alone. Frankly, that is not needed at this time, unless you have a grudge against the oil companies, or just want to save a little more of your own money.
    Or maybe we want to buy $30 a barrel fuel instead of $70 dollar fuel.

    Or maybe we want to stop funding terrorism with oil money.

    Or maybe we want to have the option to withdraw from the Middle East and end the expenditure of US military resources.

    We can do these things without haveing to cut back to a great extent if we better utilize the resources we are blessed with right here in our own nation.

    Our Nation is strong, our Nation is still generally safe, and as long as our Constitution stands our true National Security will continue to exist and florish.
    There is always room for improvement.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Political Issues Snarled Plans For Troop Aid (a good read)
    By BFDNJFF in forum Hurricane Katrina & Rita Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 05:15 PM
  2. 2004 IAFC report on the voluteer fire service
    By HeavyRescueTech in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 09:55 AM
  3. 2004 report by IAFC report on the volunteer fire service
    By HeavyRescueTech in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 09:55 AM
  4. Oh That Wonderful Institution Called Canadian Government
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 12:34 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register