Forum Member

Question Rookie training academy ideas

With fire season right around the corner, my agencies training academy will be starting shortly. Having the huge task of planning this thing, I am starting to run out of ideas for hands on training, classroom drills, and team building excercises that I could incorporate into our program. If anyone has any suggestions of things that worked or didn't work for you or your department, please let me know. Thanks.

Forum Member

Use the things that work. Unlike house fires which change everytime, wildfires are basicly the same. Make sure you tell the people who don't do well with the smoke to try and stay up wind as much as they can. Teach them how to know when a fire is building its own wind and when the wind is starting to build up. There's nothing worse than getting caught in a firestorm in the plains or woods.

hottweeler@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fofd749
    Unlike house fires which change everytime, wildfires are basicly the same.
    That's funny, I hear wildland firefighters who don't have much structure experience say the same in reverse "structure fires are just a fire in a box, if it gets too bad step outside"

Fire is fire, it can be predicted but it also does odd things occasionally that can catch you off guard whether its "in a box" or "just a bunch of grass and brush".

Wildfire11

What level of training are you looking at, is this refresher training for experienced FF's or the basic 32 for new hires? If refresher training what is the experience level, a couple of grass fires a year or a fair amount of wildland in various fuel types?

Forum Member

Iím not sure where you are, but go talk to your nearest fed stations or forestry station. I work for a hotshot crew in CA and we do training for the municipal department on occasions. Like NonSurfinCaFF said, determine your level of training and your training objectives and ask around. There is a lot to learn from joint training.

As far as all wildfires being the same, I must protest. Thatís the kind of thinking that leads to complacency.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wildfires are never the same, there are so many variables, topography/weather/fuels.
    I am getting ready to put on our refresher, along with the annual refresher we are going to do hose drills, saw/pump maintenance and orienteering and some sand table exercises.

Forum Member

First, thanks to all for taking the time to reply. Second, I work for a forestry agency in the Western Great Basin. The academy is geared for seasonals with no, and little experience. I am going to be using our experienced seasonals to teach a great deal of the textbook portions for the basic 32, as well as some of the Engine Boss Level stuff. We don't really stay that busy. Being an engine crew doesn't really afford us much out of state action, that combined with management not wanting to send us out. Either way, I am hoping to get some better ideas on team building and leadership ideas. I already have a pretty solid base for the textbook and hands on training (ie hosepacks), but am interested in building group cohesion.
    I could not agree more that the attitude about all wildfires being pretty much the same leading to complacency, which then leads to wildland firefighters getting killed. Having experience with a combination department that focuses on structural firefighting but does handle wildland, I have seen first hand the attitude of wildland fires being the same and not being as dangerous as a structure fire. Either way, complacency leads to injuries and/ or deaths. Thanks for the help

Forum Member

If you are looking for cohesion training, try looking at L-180 and L-280. My entire hotshot crew went through it at the start of last season. I gives a good base for decision making and L-280 has a full day of teambuilding exercises.
    http://www.fireleadership.gov/

MembersZone Subscriber

Default More resources

And here is another site to get some ideas from

http://www.nifc.gov/wfstar/index.htm
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Thread Information