MembersZone Subscriber

Default Water resources truck

Hello all,

Around here, there are some non-hydranted areas that sometimes tankers just can't get to. This probably occurs everywhere. But instead of using a tankers, couldn't you just park a (small) truck near or in the water (shallows) and pump? Here is my suggestion for a water resource truck:
    - IHC 4700 4WD
    - Hale 2000 GPM QMAX pump
    - Dual front suction (6 inch)
    - 4 4000 gallon fol-da-tanks
    - 2500 ft. of 2 1/2 inch hose
    - 12 sections of 10 foot long, 6 inch dia. hose
    - chainsaw (ice)
    - pikepole
    - PFD's
    - utility rope
    - strainers (various)
    - Portable radios
    - spare 3/4 boots
    - 6 in. intake on every side
    - 2 1/2 in. discharge on every side
    - 250 gal. booster tank
    - light tower

Any suggestions for add-ons would be appreciated. Post pictures of any type of apparatus like this in your area, doesn't have to be just in your department.

MembersZone Subscriber

For your rig - seach on obvious key words has these exist and has been discussed.

Bulk 2.5" hose??? what's that for in your concept? Keep a couple hundred ft and one nossle or for daisy chaining the portatanks (together with your low level strainers/6" hard suction hose).

You need a decent sized load of 5" Storz to move the water from your supply pumper to the attack pumper. 2.5" is not up to the task.

Add a couple turbodrafts? More 6" hard suction

Forum Member

Sounds like a WUI truck might be a suggestion.

Take a look at some of the units in this thread : http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...1&page=1&pp=20

Something with a low profile cab, dual electronic racks for storing 8-10 lengths of hard suction, front or rear mount pump, BIG hosebed for 1000' LDH and 500' of 2.5", low side compartments on each side with folding tanks mounted above them...Would work great for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default idea

neiowa:
    My idea for bulk 2.5 inch hose was to connect to fol-da-tanks via line holder, then engines draft out of portable ponds. Extra is there for long distance. If I could fit extra ponds on the truck, I would. Does anyone know how many 4000 gallon portable ponds you could fit in an IHC 4700? Really I was thinking of making this a truck that could eliminate the need for so many tankers at one point. Plus, there would be no problem of figuring out which tankers to dump water where. What I mean is there would be no hassle of different size tankers dumping into the same tank. I believe this system would help alot. All criticizm, constructive or destructive, will be acknowledged and given consideration in the idea. Basically, tell me exactly what you think about my idea, whether good or bad.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Even if you were to set up an operation like this......probably still better off running LDH most of the way and then putting a wye on it. You'd probably move alot more water w/alot less friction loss! But I could be wrong!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter1244
    Even if you were to set up an operation like this......probably still better off running LDH most of the way and then putting a wye on it. You'd probably move alot more water w/alot less friction loss! But I could be wrong!!
    I agree.

If you're looking to setup water supply right close to a fill site, why not truck with a pump and a hose bed or reel? Maybe something like the Angus Fetch system.

Hell, even a truck with a 2000 or 2500 GPM pump and the ability for a BIG 5" lay would out-perform the majority of tanker shuttles.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know what for sure what you're looking to accomplish, but I'm presuming you're looking at a truck that is strictly to haul water supply equipment and pump to the scene?

Just some thoughts...

1- Like was said before, bulk 2.5" hose isn't going to do much for you in regards to pumping more than a couple hundred GPM long distances. You'd be better off to look at a lot of 5", maybe even set up so you can lay dual lines (especially with a 2,000 GPM pump). Keep a few hundred feet or so of 2.5" to link your tanks, or use hard suction siphon it from tank to tank.

2- If you're pumping to the scene, why do you need the dump tanks? Just wye off the 5" lines directly to the trucks that are doing attack. Now, if you're looking into a tanker shuttle supplementing, that's a different story. But, if you've got a fire that you can't pump with a 2,000 GPM pump, you've got a helluva fire!

3- Have you considered a front mount pump? I've seen in a trade magazines where departments have successfully utilized large volume front mounts for drafting purposes and are able to pull right up to the water source and drop in suction hose. The turbo-draft someone mentioned might be a good idea to look into as well, maybe even two or more turbodrafts to get the flow you want.

Like I say, just some food for thought.

Forum Member

Default Here is what we use for rural water supply...

http://www.eureka54.com/Engine%2054-4.html

Engine 54-4
    Engine 54-4 serves solely as a rural water supply unit. With the lack of hydrant over 95% of our first due area, Engine 54-4 takes advantage of alternative water sources (i.e. ponds, reservoirs, creeks and/or rivers), and carries enough supply hose to reach a site just over a 1/2 mile away from the water source.

Equipment highlights:

1750 GPM pump
    3600 feet of 4" supply hose
    Three 6" intake/suction connections (two side mount, one nose mount)
    5 man crew capacity
    750 gal tank on board
    Several cross lays (don't recall #) to include brush line
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ---------------------------------
    Alex Wilson
    Volunteer Fire Fighter/EMT
    Eureka Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company
    Station 54, Stewartstown, York County, PA

FF2, EMT-B, HazMat Ops, BVR-T

MembersZone Subscriber

How do you plan to carry four 4000 gal. dump tanks? They are 15' long. If you put quite a bit of LDH as everyone is suggesting, doesn't leave much room. One on each side might be more like it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PeteySt1
    neiowa:
    My idea for bulk 2.5 inch hose was to connect to fol-da-tanks via line holder, then engines draft out of portable ponds. Extra is there for long distance. If I could fit extra ponds on the truck, I would. Does anyone know how many 4000 gallon portable ponds you could fit in an IHC 4700? Then pull a small trailer with portatanks all in a row, + extra hard suction/jets.Really I was thinking of making this a truck that could eliminate the need for so many tankers at one point. How does that work? Still have to get the water hauled to the portatanks/your supplyp pumper Plus, there would be no problem of figuring out which tankers to dump water where. What I mean is there would be no hassle of different size tankers dumping into the same tank. Well yes, any major tanker shuttle is going to have multiple portatanks spaced as needad (with siphons between them). I believe this system would help alot. All criticizm, constructive or destructive, will be acknowledged and given consideration in the idea. Basically, tell me exactly what you think about my idea, whether good or bad.

Thanks.
    Not sure why carry 3500ft of 4" LDH unless going to lay multiple short lines. Anything with large volume (like as low as 500gpm) 4" needs relay pumpers very quickly due to headloss. Go with 5" (or better yet 6") LDH. 6" has little headloss even at 1000gpm (like 6000ft between relay pumpers).

Thread Information