Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default This is just so wrong....

This is from Billy Goldfeder's site...

A demonstration of "firefighting" at a public safety event that is Darwinian at best...

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com...ningMishap.wmv

Thoughts and comments?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Absolute retards.........that entire dept should be shut down, the TO shot, and the Chief hung......are u kidding me??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Wtf......?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

That's one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen! What the hell were they trying to prove?!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

HOLY CRAP! Not only was that dangerous but now the whole department (and the whole service to include us) looks like a bunch of dumba@@'s to those people.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

I am just in shock. I can't figure out what the point of the whole thing is. I don't know what is worse, the guys crawling directly into the fire, or their "help" being in a bunker coat and helmet, nothing else. I wish someone could give my a clue as to what the point of this whole thing is.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic8107
    I am just in shock. I can't figure out what the point of the whole thing is. I don't know what is worse, the guys crawling directly into the fire, or their "help" being in a bunker coat and helmet, nothing else. I wish someone could give my a clue as to what the point of this whole thing is.
    Take a "real close look" at the guy in the bunker coat, lid and jeans....
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-28-2006 at 11:56 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

All together now..

WHAT THE F*CK

I've gotten my lid a little crispy, I've felt a little heat, but you don't go crawling into a building thats fully involved like that with fire down to the floor. That's just flat out STUPID.

Anyone know what PG station it is, assuming it's PG County, and not "Podunk Garfield FD? "
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

The question is, how long would they have stayed in if the hero in the jeans didn't step in to pull them out.

Forum Member

Listen to the guy narrating (I'm assuming the guy in jeans)...notice how he goes silent -- or maybe mumbles something he shouldn't have in front of the kids -- the second the firefighter starts crawling in...almost like the "WTF" moment was hitting him right then.

"They have to get down low..." and then it stops about when you'd normally want to say, "then open up the nozzle" but you see them go inside instead.

From the firefighterclosecalls site, it was a PG department that the video was "courtesy of" but it doesn't say if it was their own company's **** up or not.

I just don't fracking understand anything about this fracking situation. I don't get it, I don't get it, I don't get it. Sadly, I've been told Goldfeder has enough videos, this doesn't rank as the stupidest one in his collection...

Forum Member

I don't know what is worse, the guys crawling directly into the fire, or their "help" being in a bunker coat and helmet, nothing else.

Without trying to be to harsh...

Think about what you wrote.

There isn't any comparison about what was the "worse" decision.

One was a guy who probably had no intention to being involved in operations.

The other has people who where not trained, where not experienced, and placed in a position they should not have been placed in.

Forum Member

basically a dupe post...
    Last edited by Dalmatian190; 03-01-2006 at 01:11 AM.

WOW!!!

Very bad idea from the start. I hope those guys were not burned or hurt too bad.

Someone needs to be held accountable for that so it doesn't happen again.

Stupid is what stupid does.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

WOW! That is all I can say.

Anyone have any further details besides the video?

FyredUp

Angry lost for words ?

outrage is the only word i can think of when seeing this video!!! this is total indifference to human life and what makes it worse is the fact they fried brother firefighters in front of family members and the community. to watch a brothers mask melt off his face do to someones lack of common sence and lack of respect to the safety of others is totally unexceptal in todays fire service nomatter were it is !!!! unfinished pine and plywood was a ticking time bomb when they lit the fire,and no visible safety procudures in place is a descrace. this was just short of flashover tempetures and i'am sure the injuries were severe (baked in your turnout gear)!! the worst part is this is a common accurence in training and you think we would learn from all the other times it has happened ? listening to the crowd makes it even harder to watch, they knew something was wrong before the officers. WOW doesn't even cover it !!!!!

"there is no greater family outside our own than the brotherhood of firefighters"

LT.Dennis

Forum Member
    Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Angry Quote from Chief Gorrell

Elsewhere on these forums a certain Chief Gorrell is quoted as saying

"If they are afraid to get burnt they're on the wrong job"

I take then that this lot would be welcomed with open arms--or if you are burnt enough-open stumps?

I am utterly amazed and dumbfounded by what I witnessed--do you have training sessions where you throw items into the back of roaring furnaces and get the guys to crawl in and retrieve same?

If this is a prime example of American Fire Training, thank God I did mine in Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    Elsewhere on these forums a certain Chief Gorrell is quoted as saying

"If they are afraid to get burnt they're on the wrong job"

I take then that this lot would be welcomed with open arms--or if you are burnt enough-open stumps?

I am utterly amazed and dumbfounded by what I witnessed--do you have training sessions where you throw items into the back of roaring furnaces and get the guys to crawl in and retrieve same?

If this is a prime example of American Fire Training, thank God I did mine in Britain.
    I beg to differ with you. This is NOT a prime example of American Fire Training. Thank you and have a nice day.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

I hate to repeat it, but what the #@*% ?!?!?!

Was this some kind of effort for fire safety/prevention judging by the kids I heard in the background? If the strategy was to scare the hell out of them I think it worked by listening to the kids' voices in the background.

What the hell was that about??[/
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

My guess is that they wanted to show off for the crowd, that whole "We'll show them what firefighting is all about" macho mentality. Our job is tough enough with adding in astronomical stupidity.

2andfrom, I'm not sure where you got your opinion of American training but this is not a "prime example of American Fire Training". Our Instructors would tear us limb from limb for trying something so stupid, not to mention the fact that we would be off the department before we were out of our gear. This is something we like to refer to as, gross negligence, and you can be terminated for it.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Thread Information