Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    It's tough to say that RIT/RIC/FAST etc. is not helping reduce the number of LODD's when there are so few departments that actually do it correctly. Most that I have seen simply grab a few guys and say "Stand there, your our FAST". Until it's taken seriously and formally put in place, it's value will be marginal at best in the overall view. For those that take it seriously and staff it correctly and perform their duties correctly, they see the value.
    Bones I could not agree with you more. Many of the firefighters I know just roll their eyes when given the RIT assignment. It is in our nature to want to get in and do the hard work. RIT is a passion of mine and my guys KNOW that when we are given the RIT we are going to be 100% serious about it. We WILL NOT be standing around talking to other guys that are in rehab, or joking about the guy draging hose around to division "C", or discussing how we would put out this fire if we were interior. We are watching every move of the scene. At any time during our assignment I can (and often do) ask my guys how many lines are in operation or what company is doing search, vent, fire attack ect, and they better dang well be able to tell me. So many times I see RIT teams just standing around yacking and have no idea what is going on with the fire operations. I will only say that this just burns me up and leave it at that. If I get on my soap box about it I will rant on forever.

By the way we were told in class that Pheonix FD did a study and found that it takes 12 RIT members to rescue 1 downed FF... I found that interesting, but can see where that holds true. We even saw some video that really brought that point home, at the end the FF's were drained and devestated and a brother was lost.
    For large commercial building yes I believe multiple RIT teams will be required, There is not doubt about that. For our bread and butter fires (the 3 Bedroom/2Bath 1500 sq feet SFR) at team of 4 trained FF should be enough. Our SOG's state that if the structure is over 4000 sq feet than more than one RIT will be established.

This has and continuues to be an excellent post and discussion. I know the orginal topic was RIT in rural operations and we have strayed a bit from that topic. It is nice to see a post that does not have a bunch of bashing and crap that you see so many times in these forums.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Station2Capt View Post

This has and continuues to be an excellent post and discussion. I know the orginal topic was RIT in rural operations and we have strayed a bit from that topic. It is nice to see a post that does not have a bunch of bashing and crap that you see so many times in these forums.
    I agree with you on this comment as this does not happen on here very often. Sounds like you and your fd have a good grasp on RIT operations as well. We learned some new stuff in Baltimore this year in our hands on class. As the RIT & FF Survival stuff is ongoing training it is nice to see some things are getting a little bit easier to accomplish. Take care and be safe.

Thread Information