MembersZone Subscriber

Default Quirky Airpack question for '06

Ok Brian (and the rest of you out there as well),

Tricky question for ya...

We currently have 31 compliant SCBA harness/bottles/facepiece's....
    ...but:

A). Big bulky 3000lb bottles (we'd like to get low-profile 4500lb ones)
    - we feel it would be safer to work with less of a profile and that the reduction in overall weight would fit our safe firefighter initiative
    B). Half of our bottles (composite) are up in 2008 (15yr lifespan), and the other half in 2014 (carbon).
    C). All of our Auto-Aid departments and most in our region are using the low prof/4500lb systems and currently we cannot effectively hook up/RIT connection/refill like we feel we should. If we were Interoperable...we could work together more effectively.

So, my question is should we include this equipment purchase in our grant or would it bring it down compared to maybe other items that we might be including that are more of a "don't have" or "old, worn, torn" capacity.

Thanks as always for your time

MembersZone Subscriber

Dobieg,

Need some clarification.

What type of SCBA are you currently using?

What edition of NFPA 1981 are the SCBA compliant to?

What type of SCBA system are you using, low pressure (2216) or high pressure (4500)? The 3000 bottles make no sense. Typically they are found in escape packs for confined space operations.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

What he said.

Plus the magic statement: it depends. Some departments are not competitive enough to ask for more than one project at a time. That's a whole big conglomerate of an explanation that FH.com doesn't have the storage capacity for, and with the 67 apps currently on my plate I don't have time to type out.

The best advice I can give is look inwards and figure out what fits in these categories: unsafe & need now, doing the job but not for long, worn but compliant.

If you can't put all of the stuff you want in the first category take it out. Anything you add from the other two categories will potentially drag your score down. We won't know whether they drop it enough to keep you in the award zone or not until the announcements come out.

Dobie, wander over to my web site, there's a link on the main grants page that will interest you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Appreciate the replies guys...here's a synopsis

We are using MSA Firehawks with the Int. PASS, Universal Hook-up, etc. Our previous administration decided for reasons I won't get into that they preferred the high-profile (for lack of a better term) 3000lb/30minute bottles. We'd love to go to the 4500/30 minute for weight and manueverability issues.

Now, we are putting together a 'concept' grant. I use this term for lack of a better one. Anyway, our thought was to improve firefighter safety overall and to choose a few items that fit into the Priorities and also fit under this concept. Items from a Wellness Initiative and a Exhaust venting system to a few pieces of equipment that are sorely needed. The airpacks were part of a wishlist from our head honcho and I do see where they could fit into the safe ff theory as well as help with getting interoperability with other departments.

I would love to just stick with the items that we dont have that fit into our narrative, but I thought I would throw this question about the SCBA's out there as well. I have already got rid of items from the original wishlist that either didn't fit into the Priorities or didn't fit into what we were trying to do.

Basically at this point we are getting rid of anything that might weaken our proposal.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Basically at this point we are getting rid of anything that might weaken our proposal.
    Praise all that is Holy, someone listened!

MembersZone Subscriber

lol

Yeah, you should have seen the wishlist I rcvd from some members of the department.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's quite funny at times with what the guys will come up with for grant proposals.

The issue with your SCBA is more involved than just switching to 4500 psi cylinders. I went to the MSA website to do some research (no one in our area uses MSA). Based on the info I found (correct me if I'm wrong) you have low pressure SCBA. An option to the SCBA was having a 3000 psi vs. 2216 psi cylinder. Therefore, you can not use a high pressure bottle with a low pressure system. To do so would require modifications/upgrades to the current SCBA (if MSA does this) to make them compatable to 4500 psi cylinders.

With 50% of the bottles expiring in 2 years, you may want to take the time to explore all your options, especially if you are looking for intoperability with mutual aid departments.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That would be the case for replacement not upgrade, as we're talking about in the other forum. Odds are they can't make a cost-effective upgrade, dang near everything would need to be replaced.

MembersZone Subscriber

Correct as usual. Well, at least 99.999999% of the time. Do not want to inflate the ego tooooo much. You will never get those 67 grants done.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'd better do them, I picked up 5 more in the Inbox since I left work and I know of 30 more coming before the end of the week.

20 are done already, and I'll have 4-5 more done before go to bed. Process management is the key.

Thread Information