Forum Member

Default How to Become A Fire Investigator

Does anybody know where you can go in Pennsylvania to train to become a Fire Investigator? I would like to get involved, but have no clue where to look to start.
    Andrew S.
    Firefighter/EMT/VRT
    Neffs V.F.C.
    http://www.neffsfire.com
    NWT Rescue Team Member

Forum Member

Andrew,

Where to start? First and foremost you need a mentor. This man or woman can help you better understand the vocational pursuit of fire cause investigation. Try contacting an investigator at a Fire Department in or near your area. Be forthright and polite. Make your first meeting one where you arrive impecabbly groomed and attired with a short list of (twenty or fewer) basic questions about being a fire cause investigator. Ask them to describe their ascent, and possibly what they would do if they were in your shoes. You listen, and listen carefully. It would probably not be a bad idea to treat them to lunch and then follow up with a handwritten note of thanks. That's the start.

Best Wishes,

Brian
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Forum Member

Read, study, read, study, and when you think you have read and studied enough read and study again!

Forum Member

Default ahaaa invesigation

I would hope to think that you are a member of a fire department. I couldn't realy tell from your post. If you are not, it would be in your best interest to join a local volinter or payed dept.
    You must have the hunger for big chalenges! Becouse being a fire investigator is one of the most complacated things you can do in the fire servece. I have been doing this for about 10 years now and still learning of what it takes to get a case to court.
    Ive got to say though I LOVE IT. We have a good area team called F.I.R.S.T
    (Fire Investigation Responce Suport Team) this is a group of local fire invest. that got together to help each other out.
    I could go on and on but I don't have time. Check your State Web sites They should have some state classes also. Good luck!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by asteward1667
    Does anybody know where you can go in Pennsylvania to train to become a Fire Investigator? I would like to get involved, but have no clue where to look to start.

First off most Professional Schools require you to be a Fire Fighter and obtain permission from your Captain or Chief.

As stated , get a mentor, you will learn so much from them, classrooms are great for the core knowledge , but hands on is by far the best instruction you can ever get.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any Invest. from IL

I have been a F/F for 4yrs w/ a vol. dept and have been very interested in being an investigatorfor along time..does anyone from IL know where to satrt i mean from the ground up i have no clue what this intails at all and would really like some information from start to end and maybe however long it takes gain employment some where any information would be helpful thank you Andy.
    But there ain't no medals on my chest A*!holes cause im no hero, Im a fireman! (Denis Leary) Tommy Gavin - Rescue Me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFPD2707
    I have been a F/F for 4yrs w/ a vol. dept and have been very interested in being an investigatorfor along time..does anyone from IL know where to satrt i mean from the ground up i have no clue what this intails at all and would really like some information from start to end and maybe however long it takes gain employment some where any information would be helpful thank you Andy.
    Do you ever got to IFSI Fire College? I just attended this last weekend and took the 24 hour basic firefighter investigation class. It was a incredible class and it gets you a start. The same two intructors who did this class (they are awesome by the way) hold a 3 week class there at the campus often. If you take and pass the 3 week class you will be a state certified fire investigator.

but even then there is a long road because you need to gain experience, but it is well worth it and some thing I plan to persue.

if you have more questions please let me know I will give you what ever information I can

Forum Member

Default Illinois Fire Investigator

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2160
    Do you ever got to IFSI Fire College? I just attended this last weekend and took the 24 hour basic firefighter investigation class. It was a incredible class and it gets you a start. The same two intructors who did this class (they are awesome by the way) hold a 3 week class there at the campus often. If you take and pass the 3 week class you will be a state certified fire investigator.

but even then there is a long road because you need to gain experience, but it is well worth it and some thing I plan to persue.

if you have more questions please let me know I will give you what ever information I can

You need to get FF II in order to take the three week Fire Investigator class. I took it back in 92 and the Arson Investigator class in 97. If you are already a Police Officer you can skip the third week of the Fire Investigator and all of the classes at the Police Training Institute.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter or Police route for fire investigator

Need some advice...I have my FL fire standards FF I & FF II, and EMT. and a bachelor's degree. I haven't got onto a dept yet bc I want to become an arson investigator/detective but don't know if it would be faster and easier to reach my goal by becoming a cop rather than a firefighter. If you are an officer, you can just take the fire investigator courses rather then being a firefighter who has to start off with inspector courses and working his way up the career ladder. Is this info correct or am I way off?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcdonahu
    Need some advice...I have my FL fire standards FF I & FF II, and EMT. and a bachelor's degree. I haven't got onto a dept yet bc I want to become an arson investigator/detective but don't know if it would be faster and easier to reach my goal by becoming a cop rather than a firefighter. If you are an officer, you can just take the fire investigator courses rather then being a firefighter who has to start off with inspector courses and working his way up the career ladder. Is this info correct or am I way off?
    It all depands on the local jurisdiction. In some areas the police departments handle the investigations and in others the investigations are done by the fire department. There are also the locations that have dual teams, the fire department provides the origin and cause investigation and the police department provides the law enforcement aspect. If investigations is all that you want to do and have no real desire to "climb the ladder" then look at the ATF. They conduct fire and explosive investigations. In the begining you would probably not be assigned to a fire case as an investigator. After you have some time with them you can apply for the CFI position and attend the required training, if accecpted.

Good Luck
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Appreciate the help and info. I have a huge desire to "climb the ladder" but being 6'7 and 260, I suck the life out of a scba and don't want to be a career engineer. So Iím looking at other aspects of firefighting where I can make an impact besides adding frost to my scba.
    Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dcdonahu
    Appreciate the help and info. I have a huge desire to "climb the ladder" but being 6'7 and 260, I suck the life out of a scba and don't want to be a career engineer. So Iím looking at other aspects of firefighting where I can make an impact besides adding frost to my scba.
    Thanks.
    How about being 6'7" and 220?

Forum Member

Default 3 Weeks?

The Illinois investigator class is 3 weeks? I just took the MO class and we were done in 5 days. What's the class do for the 3 weeks? Thanks

Forum Member

Check out the IAAI website for whomever may be the coordinator in your area. There are always courses available through there.

Medic

Forum Member

BTW their website is http://www.firearson.com/

Forum Member

National Fire Academy R205 Fire/Arson Investigation Course

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/applications...me=&city=&del=

NFPA 921 Course
    Basic Fire Investigation Course

http://www.fsti.com/

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wutupbilly
    The Illinois investigator class is 3 weeks? I just took the MO class and we were done in 5 days. What's the class do for the 3 weeks? Thanks
    5 DAYS TO BE A CERTIFIED INVESTIGATOR...? DONT THINK THAT 5 DAYS COULD QUITE COVER ALL THE INFORMATION REQUIRED, NEITHER COULD 3 WEEKS! JUST KNOW THAT WHATEVER ROUTE YOU TAKE THAT TRAINING NEVER STOPS. CHECK OUT CFITRAINER.NET. CONTINUE TAKING CLASSES AND NEVER STOP TRAINING! YOU HAVE TO BE ON TOP OF EVERYTHING IN THIS BUSINESS.

JOSHUA M. SANDERS, C.F.E.I.

Forum Member

www.nafi.org is another good place to look for seminars and places for different classes..experience is a huge factor and so is education...education you can work on now experience just comes with time so like some of the others have said get yourself involved with a fire department, state FMO, or police department...here in RI most investigations are handled by the state FMO with only a few of the larger cities having the fire departments doing it with police help in some cases...as far as being 6'7'' 260 i know of plenty of firefighters with the same circumstance, it really shouldnt matter

Forum Member

I have an associates in Fire Protection and need two more classes for the associates in Investigation. Both of those are law classes. I lucked out because my Protection degree covered a lot of the same territory as Investigation does. What wasn't covered in Protection was covered in Fire Science. (I had to switch majors when I injured my shoulders. No firefighting for me! )
    Each of the degrees is a two year program and even then you aren't certified. I believe you must have some firefighting experience to be an investigator up here so you understand suppression and can take that into account when conducting the investigation.

Forum Member

Default FL fire investigator

To be certified as a Fire Investigator I in the State of Florida, an individual must be a Florida State Certified Firefighter, Firesafety Inspector or Police Officer and successfully complete 160 hours of basic certification training for fire investigators, or have received equivalent training in another state, and pass a state written examination.

Four 40-hour courses are required for certification. The courses are offered at the Florida State Fire College, Community and Junior Colleges through out the state, and some of the Certified Training Centers.

1. FFP 2111 Fire Chemistry
    2. FFP 2610 Fire Origin and Cause
    3. FFP 1540 Fire Protection Systems I
    4. FFP 2120 Building Construction

To be certified as a Fire Investigator II in the State of Florida, an individual must be a Florida State Certified Fire Investigator I and successfully complete 160 hours of basic certification training for fire investigators, or have received equivalent training in another state, and pass a state written examination.

Four 40-hour courses are required for certification. The courses are offered at the Florida State Fire College, Community and Junior Colleges through out the state, and some of the Certified Training Centers.

1. FFP 2630 Latent Investigation
    2. FSFC 407 Arson Investigation
    3. FSFC 406 Post Blast Investigation
    4. FFP 2670 Legal Issues for Investigators

Thread Information