Thread: Hose Rack

Forum Member

Default Hose Rack

Seeing if anyone has plans for a wash rack for hose. Ive seen 'em in the past... typically 50-100' ... some are flat, some are A-framed. USFS used to have them on their web page if i remember correctly. Ideas, plans, pics, sources???? Just trying to gather some fresh ideas.

Thanks

Logan

Forum Member

Default Easy to Make one

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoFireGuy
    Seeing if anyone has plans for a wash rack for hose. Ive seen 'em in the past... typically 50-100' ... some are flat, some are A-framed. USFS used to have them on their web page if i remember correctly. Ideas, plans, pics, sources???? Just trying to gather some fresh ideas.

Thanks

Logan
    Easy to make one. Take 2 sections of pipe about 12 inches long. The outside one needs to be larger than the inside one by at least 1 inch for water flow around the inside pipe. Weld a Ring on each end to seal the 2 pipes together water tite. Then on the outside pipe weld a fitting to hook to a say 1-1.5 inch water hose. This will charge the section between the pipes. Befor you weld the pipes together drill a series of holes about 1/8 inch in diameter arondr the middle of it and drill them on a 45 deg angle so the water sprays out against the hose and blows the dirt one way out one end. Then you just pull the hose thru it and it will be clean as it comes out. Now that you mentioned it I will make one for my Tender cause my hoses get all coverd with mud and I hate putting them away dirty in my storage area. I could just mount it on the spray discharge of the truck use my pump to feed it and pull my hoses thru it to clean them and role them up. Thanks for reminding me of a problem I had for several years on the fires now, I can solve it without spending allmost $400.00 dollars for one! Mark

Forum Member

Thanks TenderR6, thats a great idea for a washer and I think I can use it. Im looking for more of a place to dry and/or scrub sections of hose. Weve got a hose washer we bought commercially thats similar to what you mentioned but what we need is... a place to put the hose. A 4' wide by 100' rack. We really dont want anything that hangs hose because the purpose is to clean the hose in the washer and lay it directly onto the rack.

NE more ideas???

Forum Member

Default Another Point

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoFireGuy
    Thanks TenderR6, thats a great idea for a washer and I think I can use it. Im looking for more of a place to dry and/or scrub sections of hose. Weve got a hose washer we bought commercially thats similar to what you mentioned but what we need is... a place to put the hose. A 4' wide by 100' rack. We really dont want anything that hangs hose because the purpose is to clean the hose in the washer and lay it directly onto the rack.

NE more ideas???
    If you used a pipe threaded on both ends on the outside one you could just put two plactic electrical bushings on the threads to protect the hose going in. Have a metal place shear you off some aluminum wide enought for the big hose and bend up the edges about 1 inch high. Then you could bolt these strips to a wood saw horse type stand and just add as many sections as you need to clean hoses on. Mark

Forum Member

I like that idea.... ive actually seen something similar with PVC. Thanx

NE1 Else???....

Forum Member

Default A drying rack, right?

You can build one out of 2X4's and chainlink... 4' wide, 100' long, hmmm, say 2' tall at the bottom, 4' at the top. Set some 4X4 posts, then frame in between posts with 2X4, then cover with chain link. If you put your hose washer on the low end, you can pull hose through and just place it on the rack.

Rack can also be made out of steel with expanded metal as the surface.. or going back to wood.. use 2X6 cross beams layed flat side up, spaced 6" apart or so.. what ever works.

Here's a pic of what I think you are looking for... it's the best I could do late at night on a search
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RxFire; 03-03-2006 at 03:16 AM.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

Like RX fire said chain link and posts/supports, I've seen them done with fence pipe too which would probably last longer and require less maintenace than wood posts. You don't need much of a drop to make it work, 1' should be enough, the 2' drop suggested previously is more than most I've seen but not a bad idea, there is nothing worse than making your hose rack and realizing the hose won't drain because you have a low spot in the middle or its on a slight upslope making it nearly flat.

I would try to find a good working height (3.5-4 feet?) to start at then find the lowest height comfortable to work at (2-3 feet?), make those your high and low ends, too high and its awkward to load and wash hose, too low and you get a sore back.

Nice thing with the all wood racks is you can walk on them, then you can get a nice stiff push broom and scrub the hose while walking down the rack, no bending, stooping or reaching across. The chain link has better air flow though, probably cheaper too.

YOu can get away with a 50 foot rack, just fold the hose in half, this works really well if you have a hose roller mounted at the high end, just place the fold into the roller and roll away, one or two people can easily roll the hose up into twin rolls very quickly.

Forum Member

We double donut our 100 footers ne way so 50' will probally be out best bet.

Thread Information