Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Parents today - No backbone?

I guess I am not getting what the big deal is about this story. The boy is ten years old not 3 or 4 years of age. Parents today seem to lack the back bone to disipline thier children when needed.

Obviously this father is not looking at his own sons behavior and looking to blame everyone else.

I dont advocate beating your children, but this doesnt seem news worthy to me.

---------------------------------------

Boy, 10, handcuffed after scuffle at school

Associated Press
    Mar. 1, 2006 07:15 AM

AVON, Colo. - Town officials say a school resource officer followed policy when he handcuffed a 10-year-old boy and drove him home after a playground scuffle.

"The student was handcuffed because the officer felt the student's safety, as well as the safety of the other children, was at risk," according to a statement released by the town Tuesday.

The statement said officials would not release further information "out of respect for the family."

Avon Elementary School Principal Barbara Collins said school policy under such circumstances is to send a student home, but the officer handcuffed the boy on Feb. 17 without her knowledge.

"The officer acted independently of the schools," Eagle County School District Superintendent John Brendza said. "I don't condone it. He didn't communicate what he intended to do."

Collins said the resource officer is no longer at the school. The boy returned Monday.

Greg Webb said his son was traumatized by the experience, and he believes school officials haven't been straightforward about their involvement.

"I think the school is still confused about what happened," he said.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Sorry, but this does not make sense to me. If the kid needed to be handcuffed, dropping him off at home doesn't seem like the right solution.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Sorry, but this does not make sense to me. If the kid needed to be handcuffed, dropping him off at home doesn't seem like the right solution.
    I guess it depends - if he is just acting like an *ss, maybe taking him home to his parents will sufice.

I am thinking he was handcuffed to show him aht its like and possible show him their is an equal reaction to his actions.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Forum Member

This is why there are so many out of control kids these days.

Folks drop their bad *ss kids off at school and then don't want the very folks they dropped them to to have any power over them.

Kid are running the schools and the households today. I can tell you one thing...not my household.

If my kid comes home from school and was so out of control a cop had to get involved, being handcuffed by a cop is disneyland compared to when I get em.

It all boils down to L.O.P.! Lack of parenting!

School is not where children are supposed to learn proper respect for those in authority, good manners, good morals, etc. It is where those things are supposed to be used by children to allow their teachers to teach them academics!

I hope this kid was traumatized by being cuffed...I hope the parents were too! Maybe they can learn a thing or two about how they're raising their kid!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information