Forum Member

Default This just ****es me off!!!

Another example of a public safety employee doing their job...and then possibly getting sued.

Watch the video...I'd say he was justified. If it were me...I'd do the same thing...I'd like to go home at the end of my shift.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/new...51/detail.html
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Forum Member

Perhaps the Trooper should be charged criminally for not shooting to wound the scumbag. Excuse me, alleged scumbag.

Certain useless, twit poticians in New York would advocate that the Trooper be criminally charged.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Why would he get sued? He used deadly force to overcome deadly force. He did what he was trained to do and he did it alone. He is a hero.

BTW, LEO's are trained NEVER to shoot to wound. Firing a weapon is always deadly force. If he is justified to use deadly force, you shoot to kill the offender. Period.

Forum Member

1001% totally justified.

The "alleged scumbag" would be alive today if he just listened to what the trooper said. He'd be in a jail cell awaiting trial, but alive nonetheless.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

The trooper did what he was trained to do.......end of story. More power to him.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medicmaster
    ...and then possibly getting sued.
    Just curious, but why do you think there is a suit involved?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Why would he get sued? He used deadly force to overcome deadly force. He did what he was trained to do and he did it alone. He is a hero.

BTW, LEO's are trained NEVER to shoot to wound. Firing a weapon is always deadly force. If he is justified to use deadly force, you shoot to kill the offender. Period.

Cuz some hairbrained legal eagle twit will tell the family their son was "wronged". All it will do is waste time.. people sue for everything today. its a disgrace.

On a happier note, the trooper did make it home to his family after his tour. Like he is supposed to.
    Last edited by pwrstrkinsmketr; 03-02-2006 at 10:24 AM.

Forum Member

Totally 100% justified......

George,,,,,If it were NY? Oh definatley...he would be sued for violating the guys civil liberties.... How many times have you seen on the news (you know...2, 4, 7, 9 and 11 news channels) when a cop pops someone...the locals and the guys family all say he was a "good boy"...and the cops are out of control? Rev. Al would march on the Preicent......

Funny thing is...in the Marines (11 years ago), when I got the deadly force lecture and had to sign a piece of paper for it.....it said I had to try to fire warning shots, and attempt to disable......but as it was explained later to me by a Staff NCO......that's why we have 3 round burst on the M-16A2.....the first round to leave the barrel is the "warning round"....the 2d is the "wounding round", and the 3d was the "killin' round".......

Early Adopter

Question Premature Rage?

Quote Originally Posted by medicmaster
    This just ****es me off!!!
    The story happened not more than two weeks ago. You didn't post any additional stories about lawsuits or protests. The bad guy wanted to kill the cop but the cop won. That's what I call a happy ending. What ****es you off?

Forum Member

Good job to the Trooper. Like it or not he did not ask the guy to fight with him. The other guy did it all on his own. I truely hope he is back on the job soon. He did nothing but his job. Protect and Serve to keep the public safe.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

News googling to see if there was any follow up....

While it wasn't clear in MedicMaster's original post or the link, the family was griping "Oh, why didn't he just shoot him in the arm or the leg!" Which I'm sure is why MM was complaining about getting sued.

Didn't really see anymore since the original timeframe of the incident.

Truckie

Just curious, but why do you think there is a suit involved?
    Other news sources quoted the idiots father saying something along the line that he didn't care what the video showed, it was wrong to shoot his son and he was going to sue...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum
    Other news sources quoted the idiots father saying something along the line that he didn't care what the video showed, it was wrong to shoot his son and he was going to sue...
    He may not care what the video showed, but the bad guy cracked a shot at the cop. The bad guy used deadly force. That makes the use of deadly force justified under any possible scrutiny.

Anybody can file a lawsuit. But my bet is that he will never find an attorney to file it for him.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you pull a gun on any police officer you SHOULD be shot.

It is just asinine that people think in some way it would be ok to point a gun at a cop
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

I had originally found this on another video website, I just did a google search to find a "more official" version of this to post here. Honestly I never watched this link, the one I saw initially, the reporter doing the story indicated that the family thought the officer acted injustly and that they intended to file a suit.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Anybody can file a lawsuit. But my bet is that he will never find an attorney to file it for him.

I don't know but it seems like you can get someone to file anything these days. Do I agree, nah, this should never have a chance, but some attorney somewhere will bite and try to fight this one.

I don't blame the officer though. I'm glad he got to go home.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    If you pull a gun on any police officer you SHOULD be shot.

It is just asinine that people think in some way it would be ok to point a gun at a cop
    He didn't point a gun at a cop. He SHOT at a cop.

MembersZone Subscriber

He didn't point a gun at a cop. He SHOT at a cop.
    He made a threating move towards a police officer. Thats good enough for me
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

HNFC FF/President

yeah, this guy got what was comming to him. If your gonna shoot at a cop (and don't take this the wrong way) you better hit him, or else your rear end is toast!

everything should work out fine for the trooper, glad he's ok
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Truckie

He may not care what the video showed, but the bad guy cracked a shot at the cop. The bad guy used deadly force. That makes the use of deadly force justified under any possible scrutiny.

George, I agree with you 100%- this guy deserved and recieved the ultimate Darwin Award.
    On the lawyer thing....I just don't know, lawyers will do anything to get a little publicity. They are almost as bad as the criminals today.
    If you can, through your law enforcement contacts, tell that officer "Job well done" from me.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

The families of people who are killed by cops sue because it's easier for them to believe that the cop did their loved one an injustice as opposed to accepting the fact that their loved one was an idiot and did something stupid that got him/her killed. In this case the family is not going to look at this video and focus on the poor decisions that their loved one made, they're going to focus on that cop laying on top of their loved one popping a cap in the back of his head. But the trooper is clearly trying to knock something out of the guy's hands, and the guy didn't let go. He had to neutralize the guy because the next second the suspect could have gotten some leverage, pinned the trooper and he would have been the one shooting.
    New York State EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    Funny thing is...in the Marines (11 years ago), when I got the deadly force lecture and had to sign a piece of paper for it.....it said I had to try to fire warning shots, and attempt to disable......but as it was explained later to me by a Staff NCO......that's why we have 3 round burst on the M-16A2.....the first round to leave the barrel is the "warning round"....the 2d is the "wounding round", and the 3d was the "killin' round".......
    Vinnie, when the heck did you get that lecture? Even in Somolia we were told directly "NO warning shots!" If a shot needs to be fired, it needs to stop the bad guy, that means clear tip on fuzzy black(or what ever color the bad guy is wearing). A Marine shoots to kill, or he does nto shoot at all. I have NEVER heard of any official Marine writings that offer a "warning shot".
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Dennis,
    What unit were you in?
    Weapons Co. 3Bn/1st Marines, 13thMEU(SOC)- Mogadishu, Feb/Mar 1995.
    Semper Gumby!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by transplant
    Dennis,
    What unit were you in?
    Weapons Co. 3Bn/1st Marines, 13thMEU(SOC)- Mogadishu, Feb/Mar 1995.
    Semper Gumby!
    1st MEB(elements of BSSG-1 attached to FSSG-1), Mogadishu, Dec. 1992
    We came, we saw/smelled, we off loaded the MPS, we went home for Christmas.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 03-03-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Does this mean a fire's family can sue for me "shooting" water on it? What a great society we live in?

Thread Information