Forum Member

Default Hurst vs. Amkus vs. ???

My department is looking to upgrade our stock of extrication tools. The trick is that I'm at an Airbase in Germany.

First off I'm looking for a comparison of good/bad for a few brands. I need any info you can give me.

Second, if anyone knows whether any of these companies have any kind of maintenance program in Europe, that would be very helpful. I know already that Hurst does, which is why we use them, but our current setup is old and mix/match.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hurst

Having used both of the company's extrication tools, currently with Amkus, I would choose Hurst hands down. We still have our "old" Hurst tools and have had to bring them back in the game when the "new" Amkus power plant went down for repairs. Also we've had problems with the hydraulic lines engaging/connecting with the Amkus high pressure system. Keep it simple.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Centaur

Take a look at the Centaur line. When we were looking to replace our old Hurst tools this was one brand we looked at. On paper they are lighter, more powerful, and have wider spread/reach then other compeditors. For budgetary reason we were never able to bring them in house to try out, so I'm not sure how well their products do in the "real world".

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Being in Germany, Centaur might be a good choice. They are made in Germany and are very popular and widely-used over there. Getting them serviced should be a breeze.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Also look to Zumro ResQ

I know many of the German Usar teams are using the Zumro brand, and also have a great service facility their.
    "Training Today for a Better Tomorrow"

Forum Member

We have always had good luck with our Amkus. system only went down once in 10 years. spreaders broke once after 9 years of service. Dont know how well you will have the service done on them, However we have Amkus come in once a year and do maintance on everything there for it keeps the warranty going. when we went down we had replacement peice next day till parts where fixed or in case of spreaders replaced. Good luck
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had our Amkus for over 5 years with no problems, never tried Hurst but Amkus seems to be reliable.

MembersZone Subscriber

better check out Holmatro's new line, core-tech and the 3050 cutter, you will no doubt be impressed.

Forum Member

If you are in Europe, you better take a look at Weber tools since I understand they are the 'standard' tools over there. Stiking resemblance to Genesis tools. While I am not a fan of high pressure systems, when you are in Rome, you do as the Romans do.... It might save you some headaches down the road.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

We just replaced the tools on our rescue (Hurst) with new tools. We had the old ones refurbished and placed them on our engine with a brand new portable pump (Honda). We actually wanted to convert to Holmatro, but due to finances we elected to stay with Hurst (Holmatro could not quite meet the budget we had between FD money and grant money).

At any rate, the holmatro tools are indeed lighter and a bit easier to use. You will find that the wrist turn activation with the holmatro is easier to control and activate than the Hurst control which are more of a ''switch'' on the tool. Its all a matter of preference though.

The easy suggestion for you folks in Germany is to see what companies are supported by repair and service over there and go with it. These days the tools are pretty much the same, but the service is what I would look at.

Forum Member

Weber has a striking resemblance to Genesis... dont you mean that the oher way around?? Funny thing, that american made tool from Genesis.... Weber....

Forum Member

Default Tnt

I prefer TNT they are great tools with a ton of power. I wouldnt mind hurst if TNT would ever go under. As far as the rest of the companies. I have never even heard of them. Every department around here used Hurst but switched to TNT. One because we like them a lot better and two because of mutual aid we all have the same stuff so its interchangable and everyone knows how to use it.

Forum Member

Roland,If you've never heard of/seen Amkus,Hurst or Holmatro,maybe it's time to climb out of the cave.Nothing wrong with a TNT tool but I'd wager that Nationwide the three listed above would outnumber TNT by a fair number.I recommend trying anyones tool you can get your hands on when the chance arises;broadens you tool "scope"and allows a more equitable comparison of tools.I'm pretty comfortable with most brands of tools and they've all got some nice features.And ANY of them beat a handsaw or portopower(providing they're in operating condition). T.C.

Forum Member

Default champion

Champion Rescue Tools the only tools in the world with a true lifetime warranty we run there tools and have for 16 years and not had on problem with them the customer service was great and we have never been charged a dime for any thing that we messed up thats the way a tool company should be

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ok I'm new in the extrication threads.

Ok, first off I will try to be nice here and if someone thinks my facts are wrong let me know. ANY tool that claims to have a LIFETIME warranty is full of it. Ask them what the lifetime of the tool is according to the manufacturer? 5000 PSI systems were great for our grandparents, do you have a dial up connection still? Things these days with rescue tools are simple, look at the NFPA numbers! All manufacturers that want to meet the new NFPA numbers must submit their tools for an apples to apples test. So like I said look at the numbers and also look at how balanced the tool is when you hold it, and the speed of the tool. When you take into consideration all these factors there is only one choice in my humble opinion and that is Genesis Rescue Tools! I dare anyone to contest that they are not the best tool out there! Oh and dont be fooled thinking Hurst is innovative by changing Lukas' name to Centar, Just my 2 cents!

Forum Member

2415,You have a problem with a 5000PSI tool? We happen to run a 10K system ourselves but I was running 5000PSI tools Saturday that I would put against the Genisis any day.Perhaps you've heard of the company,Resqtek.Now we're a Holmatro outfit ourselves,but I will tell you the new Ewo tools from ResQtek are some slick.On a personal level,I'd rate them as more user friendly than Genisis. Very few poor tools on the market today,everyones got their own little widget but ANY of them in competent hands will do a great job of opening up. Don't blink in todays rescue tool market or you'll get passed by,the technology is advancing almost as fast as computers.If Genisis is your thing,great,they make a nice tool.But the ultimate tool? Not in my opinion.In fact,I've yet to find the "ultimate"tool and I've been involved in vehicle extrication for over 3 decades. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ok

Well all I've known about resqtek is that they are basically a hurst knock off. Many people (TNT, Resqtek) have just taken what Hurst does and change it a little and call it there own. Like I said before it is MYopinion that Genesis makes the best rescue tools on the market.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Genesis is pretty much old news now, you need to check out the new tool line up for like Holmatro and Resqtek, they have both spent millions of dollars on Research and Development more than any other of the other companies combined. Check them out, do your own cutting tests and then formulate your own new opinions. just my 2 cents!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ok

Ok firedog, show me the NFPA numbers on the tools your talking about.

Forum Member

Firedog,
    How do you draw a comparison between 5,000 psi and dial up? I seriously doubt you have a grasp of hydraulics. If you go banging around old volunteer stations you will find tools made in the late 1970's that have never been serviced and still work very well. They will have a sticker on them that says "HURST". Having an opinion is fine, but dont go around bashing the company that started extrication.

Forum Member

Spokane,better reread the posts.It was 2415 that referenced 5000 systems,NOT Firedog.Firedog is an EXPERIENCED extricator from the north woods of Canada,and well versed on systems.Outside of that we're in agreement. T.C.

Forum Member

2415,Crunch your own numbers.WWW.Resqtec.com. If what you seek is not there,there is a contact sheet where you can get the specfic answer you want. T.C.

Forum Member

We have been using Amkus for about 8 years now, and never had a problem with our unit. Before we purchased this unit we tested and compared TNT, Amkus & Hurst and felt that the Amkus unit was the best bang for our dollar. We liked how it was balanced, and operated. I know units have changed since then.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jake2415
    Ok, first off I will try to be nice here and if someone thinks my facts are wrong let me know. ANY tool that claims to have a LIFETIME warranty is full of it. Ask them what the lifetime of the tool is according to the manufacturer? 5000 PSI systems were great for our grandparents, do you have a dial up connection still? Things these days with rescue tools are simple, look at the NFPA numbers! All manufacturers that want to meet the new NFPA numbers must submit their tools for an apples to apples test. So like I said look at the numbers and also look at how balanced the tool is when you hold it, and the speed of the tool. When you take into consideration all these factors there is only one choice in my humble opinion and that is Genesis Rescue Tools! I dare anyone to contest that they are not the best tool out there! Oh and dont be fooled thinking Hurst is innovative by changing Lukas' name to Centar, Just my 2 cents!
    in respone to jake 2415 , CHAMPION RESCUE TOOLS do have a lifetime warranty,on the entire tool , except hoses. this covers any breakage of the tools or if you even wear it out. the warranty is one paragraph long. check their web page. all other warranties have exceptions and disclaimers. also CHAMPION builds 5000psi or 10,000psi , with any fluid . i do believe that they build the finest tool around. check for a demo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jawsone
    in respone to jake 2415 , CHAMPION RESCUE TOOLS do have a lifetime warranty,on the entire tool , except hoses. this covers any breakage of the tools or if you even wear it out. the warranty is one paragraph long. check their web page. all other warranties have exceptions and disclaimers. also CHAMPION builds 5000psi or 10,000psi , with any fluid . i do believe that they build the finest tool around. check for a demo.
    Jawsone,
    I won't argue with your opinion on the Champion tools, they make a solid tool. I am curious if you've had the same experiences as I have. My full-time department uses Champions. We've had issues making large cuts with the cutters due to the design. Don't get me wrong, they work great for cutting anything you can get into the blade width, but beyond that it's been difficult to get them in where we need. We've actually resorted to using air chisels to make cuts on larger B and C posts.

The other issue I've seen is with the larger spreaders. The way they're designed they seem to rip through metal rather than spreading it. Seems like if they'd use wider tips, they'd spread better.

Thread Information