Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default 2010 Olympic Hockey

With all of the postulating about what went wrong with the Men's Olympic team....here is the solution for 2010.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I think that was the problem.

Olympic/European rules hockey, compounded by the new NHL league rules. They had to play like girls.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell
    I think that was the problem.

Olympic/European rules hockey, compounded by the new NHL league rules. They had to play like girls.
    Well, if I were to immediately jump on that quote, I'd say you were being very nasty and insulting to women! However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you were, in fact, complimenting the remarkable athletics, skill and playing ability of the women!!

Now your quote about Olympic/European rules does ring true with me. My theory is that Canadian and US NHL players who participate in the Olympics are doing nothing but playing round robin All Star games. They don't play like a team because they really aren't a TEAM. 4 or 5 days training together, showing up a day or two before their first games, many of them leaving immediately after the team is out of the medals, nah, that's just an extremely well paid shinny team! Let's get the real amateurs playing (yeah, I know, most athletes are not technically 'amateurs', but for the sake of argument, lets go with that) They who practice for years, work together perfecting their skills and teamwork, most of them working full time jobs as well, those players are the ones who deserve Olympic gold.

Just my $0.11 cents worth.

Pat
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

I hope by then the NHL will have a "NO OLYMPIC PLAYING" clause in thier contracts. The teams, sponsors and most importantly THE FANS have tooo much money riding on the players, for them to go out and get all messed up in what is supposed to be an amature competition. Case in point......The NJ Devils started the season w/o Elias b/c he got Hepitits from a Russian Whore while playing over there during the strike.....so they suffered when the season started....then the guy comes back, and they are on fire....then goes to the Olympics and gets hurt.....well....back to square one.....Hey...don't get me wrong....I hate the Devils....but it is not fair to the fans....IMO

Let's Go Rangers!!!!

Vinnie B.....

Vinnie do you EVER go to work?

P.S. I hope all the Devils get/got some kind of itchy rash....

The captain for the US womens team is HOT by the way....
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    Vinnie do you EVER go to work?

Ummmmm...I'm not tellin......

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CommDiva
    Well, if I were to immediately jump on that quote, I'd say you were being very nasty and insulting to women! However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you were, in fact, complimenting the remarkable athletics, skill and playing ability of the women!!
    Well...

A little from column A...

But seriously, the women were amazing once again this year. I was really refferring to the fact that the traditionally rough style of North American Hockey used to give us a significant advantage over most of the European Teams. The changes in the rules here has softened our men's play (which is not altogether bad), and the fact that so many European players are so successful in the NHL means that there is a lot of experienced competition for our guys now. Your comment on a glorified All-Star game is right on.

If you reviewed the rosters of the top teams, they were 99% NHL players. Not much "international" play there, when these guys all live and work in North America now.

I personnaly did not like the decision to allow pro's into the Olympics. I can watch these guys play several times a week for 8 months of the year. I would much prefer to watch the young up and comers get the shot at the olympics. The women showed that amatuer play can be just as impressive as pro play, and it makes draft speculation all that much more interesting too.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

Watching the hockey games was a bit painful for me. I think they were allowed to hit more in the short track speed skating than in the hockey games. I say bring back the Terry O'Reilly days, when the game was physical and you tried to get the number of the bus that just layed you out in the center of the ice. The mens was bad but the penalties in the womens was out of control. They couldn't go within 2 feet of each other without getting a penalty. (As a note, I played in a benefit game 3 years ago against the Boston Bruins retirees and those guys, despite their age, are absolutely incredible! Terry O'Reilly has to be 15-20 years older than me and he went around me like I wasn't even there. It was a great time.)

I also believe that they should go back to amateurs that care. US was not a team but rather a group of individuals trying to score(but really never doing so). Growing up, I remember every four years, the US team would tour the country playing local college teams or if your area was lucky enough to have one, a AAA professional team. With all of the pro's that now represent the US, is the Olympic Training Center in Colorado still there?

Thread Information