Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Physical Requirements

what are the physical requirements for a military fireifghter in the air force .. ive been looking at this for a while .. and i really want to enlist .. but one of my concerns is the asthma that i had as a kid .. is enlistment still possible ? i have never had any problems and i play sports constantly .. but the doctor says i have it i guess .. any feedback would be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess it would have to depend on the type of asthma. We had a SrA get the boot because his asthma prevented him from passing his mask fit testing.

Forum Member

I asked my recruiter about this type of thing and he said it depends on the symptoms you have now, and the type and stuff. He said its the doctor at the MEPS's final call. I think you have to do some kind of breathing test or something

Forum Member

i can run a mile or more easily and have no problems with my breathing .. and ive been around all the smoke and that with the department that im an explorer on right now .. i had the test taken when i was in like 6th grade .. and im a sophmore now .. and i havent had any problems .. they said it was an extremely mild case .. how did asthma prevent him from passing his mask fit test ?

MembersZone Subscriber

I just recently took the physical at MEPS. I didn't have any kind of lung test while I was there, but I did have some sort of lung capacity test that was administered by the guard unit I just joined. The lung test was just one part of an entire day of physical screening that the guard gives people who are applying to be firefighters.

I'm not as familiar with active duty requirements, however. But I'll see what I can find out for you.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob3e7x1.htm
    Last edited by RWood357; 03-05-2006 at 04:53 PM. Reason: to add URL

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RWood357
    I just recently took the physical at MEPS. I didn't have any kind of lung test while I was there, but I did have some sort of lung capacity test that was administered by the guard unit I just joined. The lung test was just one part of an entire day of physical screening that the guard gives people who are applying to be firefighters.

I'm not as familiar with active duty requirements, however. But I'll see what I can find out for you.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob3e7x1.htm
    ...AD firefighters also need a lung test. I'm not sure if they are doing it a tech school yet, but I do know that during your annual PHA/OHE, you need to have a pulmonary examination done where you blow in the tube as hard as you can then suck in as hard as you can. I had to do it when I arrived at my first duty station. It's so much fun, I can't wait to do it again.

Even if you can pass the lung tests, DO NOT ommit it from your paper work. If things go to hell in a hand basket later in the process, you can be charged under the UCMJ with fraudulant enlistment. That is NOT something you want following you around in life.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

So how's the Louis Garland Fire Academy treating you? What block are you on? Finish your live burns yet? Your instructor shove your face over any of the fires in the burn building? That's always fun. After I graduated I was stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina, 4th Fighter Wing. We had an F15E hit a flock of birds one night on a training mission and declare an in-flight emergency. Well, the plane landed on fire, those birds fuc&ed that plane up(It's now a mounted memorial in front of base headquarters). Anyway, the pilot and wso were out of that plane and running from it like crazy, and I was on rescue that night and we actually almost ran them over, because we couldn't see them on that dark flightline. They came into our station a couple of days later and gave us a painting of an F15, they drew some flames coming off of it, then signed it "Thanks for the foam", and "Thanks for not running us over."

Former Air Force firefighter.

Thread Information