Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AFG Application

Forum Member

Default AFG Application

I find it VERY frustrating that you can't access the application for the AFG before the application period starts. Am I not looking in the right spot on their website? We are new to applying for grants and have absolutely no idea what kind of info we will need to get.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is frustrating the first time you apply. Trust me (some else help me here) the application seems a little intimidating but it is not that bad. It is a bit long but it is not difficult. Make sure that you have all of your call volume information handy from the previous year as well as the basics about your district such as size in sq miles, population, etc. You will also need bank routing and account numbers. The most time consuming is going to be your narrative. As many of the others have said here before, work on it now while it's early and have as many people proof read it as possible. I bring mine to an English teacher every year to check for grammer, spelling and overall readability & content flow. I tend to ramble if you couldn't tell from this already. But anyway, it's not that hard, take your time and good luck.
    Last edited by Yankee750; 03-03-2006 at 09:16 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hiouchi, normally the tutorial is out by now. Normally the PG is out weeks in advance. As Forest Gump said: "It happens."

That's also why they give us 5 weeks to git-r-done. It hangs us all up because I send a PDF file of the tutorial to everyone I work with so that they know what info they need and there is no last minute scramble. It's hard, I'm a lifelong procrastinator, but when I turned 30 almost 2 years ago (12 days from now will be 2 years) I decided I didn't like rushing around at the last minute anymore. Hence the reason I had a lot of narrative work done in November and December because I knew I'd be busy right about now.

The more worked up you are about the whole process, the less work you'll actually get done. Kinda like a fireground. Keep your cool, gather the facts, execute the plan.

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

It's also helpful to attend one of the workshops.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    That's also why they give us 5 weeks to git-r-done.
    There's no preference or real benefit (other than having it done) for submitting your app today vs. submitting it April 4th correct?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Nope. Old Firefighter's tale that submitting early increases your chances. It was just a rumor since some used to submit last minute and get denied, then submitted earlier and were awarded. The one submitted earlier was just a better application than in prior attempts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Nope. Old Firefighter's tale that submitting early increases your chances. It was just a rumor since some used to submit last minute and get denied, then submitted earlier and were awarded. The one submitted earlier was just a better application than in prior attempts.
    Thanks for the info Brian! We were rushed last year by the grant writer that prepared ours because she said that the earlier it gets turned in the better off we are. She even went as far as making sure we got the app. number to compare it to the total number of apps. submitted. Luckily I was able to get the committee together that night to approve her narrative but you would have thought we didn't have a chance if we didn't submit the app. as soon as she got it done.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well, it is nice to get it in ASAP so it's done, but you don't want to rush it. Unless of course the time clock at the bottom of the application says '0' in everything but the minutes column and that's in the single digits. THEN it's time to panic.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you rush to complete the application and submit early there is a strong chance of making mistakes or even better important info that may surface prior to the deadline.

One of the areas that needs to be covered in the narrative is financial need. How many of you are going through the budget process to establish budgets for next fiscal year? Do you have exact figures or is everything preliminary?

Like other cities and towns this is a multiple step process culminating in final approval at town meeting or city council approval etc. One of the steps for the town was this weekend with a review of all budgets and approvals before a town meeting vote in April (after the deadline). Guess what? The municipal side was not approved (I believe due to a lack of time) and will be done this week. So I'm still working with prelim figures and not something more concrete.

The point being is this grant process is very fluid. Do not sell yourself short with time. My goal each year is to submit the application 3 days before the deadline.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

One step to definitely complete is putting all of the information into the application. Pressing the submit button is another story. Once you input all of the info for the application you can print the sections and review it that way. Plus you can hand it out for people to look over instead of having many hands with the login information.

Many of you may remember the annotated Guided Tour Document I did last year with the AFG Program Guidance. I color code it and add comments and notes to it so that it is in "fire speak" not Federalese. Just thought I would let you know I have completed my 06 version of it again, and it is posted for your use; feel free to peruse.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/20...tAnnotated.pdf

Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Thanks for making it easier to understand. I need some clarification though, just to make sure I have it right. Our Volunteer Fire Dept and Non-affiliated Volunteer First Responders are out of the same facility. In the Eligibility section on the top of Page 7 (that you provided-Thanks) it says only one grant can come from two agencies at the same location.

So, only one grant request can come from both. Am I getting it right?

Forum Member

Nevermind. Called the help desk. We can only submit one application for both since we share facilities, even though we each have our own equipment, budget, etc.

Thanks ktb9780 for the easy to read, color coded guidelines. I don't know how I missed that.

Thread Information