Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Wet-sided engine with a hole in the tank... any ideas?

We have a wet-sided engine that has developed a hole in the tank (which means a hole in the side of the engine). The hole is from oxidation. We have opened the engine up and are able to access the inside of the tank. We are looking for suggestions from anyone who may have had a similar problem to see how it could be fixed, or how it should not be fixed.
    The idea we are leaning toward is to have plates welded over the hole and any weak spots. Then to have the tank sandblasted and lined with something like a "Rhino" lining. We have heard of another department doing it twice; once it worked, once it didn't.
    Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chrissy

MembersZone Subscriber

The problem you very well could run across is that once you start welding plates on and sand blasting, you might not have anything left except the new plates. If the tank is structurally ok other than a few spots, I would recommend you have someone install a sprayed on / rolled on fiberglass composite liner inside the tank. There are a few companies that do this across the country. One that I know of is Midwest Fire Apparatus in Luverne, MN. www.midwestfire.com They are in the old Luverne fire truck plant. They have a system there they crawl inside the tank and roll out sheets of fiberglass and spray an epoxy type glue on the fiberglass mesh. I would give them a call and see what they might recommend. As far as the rhino lining inside, I do not know well that would hold up over time. Maybe someone else has more experience with it. Best of luck to you.

I've seen several older trucks upfitted with poly tanks. You pull the hose bed out, cut the top off the steel tank, blast and repair from the inside, add bracing as needed, and drop in a custom poly tank, replace hose bed. The tank fill and tank to pump valves need to be hooked up and an appropriate tank level sender installed. You loose some capacity, typically 50-100gal (depends on the size of the orriginal tank). Of course its more expensive, but its a much long term solution. You may find that once you open up the tank to Rhino coat it that all the baffles are also rotten, that the tank wall stiffeners are shot, and that the floor is about to give out.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Thread Information