Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default NEW JERSEY--Fire At Bradco Supply Corp.

Fire still burning at Bradco Supply Corp.

6:50 p.m.
    BRANCHBURG -- Fire officials say they will be on the scene of the Bradco Supply Corp. fire thoughout the night and well into Saturday.

The company, a distributor of roofing, siding and windows at 61 Columbia Road, was leveled by fire this afternoon. Workers managed to escape the building safely, and there were no injuries.

The cause has not yet been determined.

Because the firm is situated along NJ Transit's Raritan Valley Line tracks, westbound trains were being stopped at North Branch and passengers were bused to stations to the west.

Besides effecting rail traffic, the fire, with its huge plume of black smoke that was visible for miles, prompted traffic to back up on Route 22.

The fire, which sent flames 40 to 50 feet in the air this afternoon, was still burning this evening.

Bradco has 139 branch operations throughout 27 states and is one of "the countryís largest national distributors of roofing, siding, windows and related building materials," according to its Web site. The company was founded in 1966 in Avenel, N.J.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Default bradco fire: link to this slideshow from courier news

We took a 2 1/2" line into one section of the building but since we really didn't know the extent of the initial fire I guess it was something to do until all of the ladder trucks got there.

http://www.c-n.com/specialsections/m...dco/index.html

Yeah we set up our tower ladder (Tower Ladder 21) near where they eventually figured where the fire started from the one corner. Did you hear about North Branchs Engine?
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up bradco fire and what we were breathing

the fire started in the main warehouse. the cause is unknown. north branch's 108 pumper took alot in damGE, but pumped water that whole time it was basicaly in the fire. that was a crazy fire. i saw alot of crazy ****. alot of guys running around with no scba on at all, not even a tank on there back just in case. that stuff we were breathing in,was suppose to be hydrochloric acid, i am almost positive thaT is whAT they are saying it wAS. the vinyl sideing getting heated up like that with water thrown on it just formed one huge plume of nasty *** gaS that caused thousands of dollars to appuratus in damage, it ripped up diamond plateing ,chrome,ate away at paint, and the trucks took the worst. all those trucks up there in that plume of acid smoke, and the extreme heat they took on up there. from whaT i am hearing companies with manpower at the fire are sending there guys for chest x rays and blood tests. and stuff.county is telling all the companies to wash there gear if they were exposed.this is just stuff i am hearing don't know the exstent of it all,alot of people talk alot of ****. i know i got a mouth full or two and that wasn't regular old smoke. regular smoke doesn't currode your trucks,and eat at your hydrolic lines.
    vinyl sideing, train freight cars filled with lumber,stax of lumber,roofing tar rolls, and other building supplies was what we were battleing in pretty decent winds. good job to the men and women who put there heaRTS into that fire to bring it under control. it was a battle from the beginning. next time guys where some protection who knows whats burning , i hope knowone pays down the road for there stupidity.is it realy worth looking like the tough guy, fire god,and breathing that **** in and getting very sick later in life, when all ya had to do was put on a pack. if you are breathen thru your bottles to fast.. maybe its time to get in the enginere's seat anyways..... good job somerset,and hunterdon co. fire depts. good job to all the emergency personell workers that looked out for each other at that hellish inferno/ i know i'll never forget it. NEXT TIME WEAR YOUR BOTTLES!! for info here is a link that was just posted i don't want to write things i am not sure are true..http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...NEWS/603130318
    Last edited by raymondg; 03-13-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Forum Member

well i gotta say that fire was some crazy ****. like you said people running around without a pack and breathing in that nasty smoke. This guys that havent gotten checked out yet need to do so. i know some of the guys from my department were taken out of service because of the damage to there lungs. i went and got checked out for my own peace of mind and to have it documented incase i have problems in the future. But what an amazing job by all departments working together like that and getting that fire under some kind of control and keeping that wood on the train carts from catching on fire which would of made our job tougher then it already was. nice work by the pumper task force keeping water going to all the aerials which dumped about 50 million gallons of water on that fire last time i heard. but even with all that the fire just didnt want to go out just kept sticking its tongue out at us as we did all we could. ive worked with some departments that id probably never work with again. hopefully not that is, because if i do it means its something just as bad or worse. the wind didnt help much either just feed the fire all the fuel it needed to keep burning throughout the night. just so many factors put together kept it going. the gases from the vinyl siding, the rolls after rolls of tar paper, the pressure treated lumber, the propane tanks on those forklifts, and anything else that may have been there. i also gotta say good job by command. And thank god nobody was killed there. it really is a miracle from what i saw. Nice rehaps set up by the emt's. havent heard anybody really give those guys credit yet. they did a great job with keeping us warm when we went to get checked out. and to the other firefighters that watched eachothers back. there was a few times when you thought you had a section out and advanced just to have it start up again behind you and having another company or firefighter yell and let you know. And just like raymondj said WEAR YOUR PACKS dont be a hero and end up in an early grave or breathing through a machine later down the line because you thought you didnt need it...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default bradco

yes that was a hell of a fire. if you were by the railroad cars you were working with my company. we thru deck gun water on those train cars all day ,and it kept them from going up. they got chared but they didn;t fully burn. first we attacked from the rail road, then advanced, cut down the fence and joined the party with
    1"3/4 hand lines, and we moved the deck guns in as well to hit that steel building with alll the tar paper in it. the first building the trackho took down.
    and yes thanks to the emts they were a hude part they pulled me out of commission thru me in a bus and made me warm up then i had to go home my fight was over around 930. when the emts took my body temp it was so hypothermic

Our tower ladder pumped approx. 1,200,000 gallons

from whaT i am hearing companies with manpower at the fire are sending there guys for chest x rays and blood tests. and stuff.county is telling all the companies to wash there gear if they were exposed

Damn we werent told any of that...the only way we found out that people were sending their men was by word of mouth. I also heard someone actually got sick or something.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Thread Information