MembersZone Subscriber

Default Help with Pager Tones

I've had a Vertex VX-180v for several years and moved to a new area a couple years back. I initally wasn't allowed to transmit on it so I used it as a 16 channel pager (oddly enough the cost of a normal pager is very similar to what I payed for my portable, go figure). Well anyways it worked fine like that. Though I do remember me and the store I bought it from had some issues on getting the blasted thing to accept my new department's alert tones. So recently I am now able to transmit with it and I took it in for him to add the PL codes so that I can properly use this thing like it's meant to be used. Well he once again had issues with the pager tones and now it's not alerting at all.

The tones I was told were my stations are:
    on Freq 1 (153.86)
    A-B

The guy at the store I got the radio from can't find those two frequencies on the list of tones. I looked at the list online and the closest thing to them is 426.6 and 977.6(or 2, can't remember off hand). So....need a hand here. He's trying to see if he can recover the old data that he put into my radio a few years ago, but he's since changed computers and it's highly unlikely that he'll be able to. Just in case it helps I'm with Station 3 (Shepherdstown) in Jefferson County WV.

Many thanks for any help.

(double posted for exposure, please forgive)
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

Those tones that your found will work just fine. That is well within the tolerance of most tone decoders.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's the thing though. I know they should be fine, but they don't show up on the list of acceptable tones that the Vertex VX-180v can be programmed to as far as I can tell. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't know for sure that it was possible since I've been using it as a pager for over a year now, closer to two.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Thread Information