Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Fire Department Thesis Questions

Hi to Every Fire, Rescue, and Police personal in America

I am a 4th year Architecture Student at the University of Maine at Augusta studying my thesis. My topic is to design a combined Police, Fire, and Rescue building for my community. I was wondering if any of you knew of any good information web sites that I could check out that would help my knowledge. Any information on designing a Emergency Response building would really increase my thesis research.

One question that I have is why Bay doors are round or square? Does it serve a purpose to have them rounded?

From a Dedicated Supportor of our Response Teams

Forum Member

I dont believe bay doors are ever rounded, it is just the opening that is round. Many times they have a keystone in the center.

When desinging a emergency response building, you really cant without knowing more about that peticular department. There is not a genaric floor plan that works for all.

How well you do in your presentation of your building for your thesis has a lot to do on how good of a BS'er you are. Its unfortunate, but I know many that did well on design projects when they had not done much of what they said they did. Its more important that is looks good, and you look good than the actuall data.
    I was class of 02 at Lawrence Tech in architecture.

MembersZone Subscriber

stevens0721- Westbrook just opened a combine Fire/Police/Rescue station last year. We just got rid of the PD from our building two years ago. Camden, aslo just renovated their station and added the PD into the building, but rescue is up the street. Fire Chief magazine just had its Fire Station architecture awards a few months back. many factors are show int he magazine, such as design, cost per sq. ft. total sq. ft. and total cost. If you need any more local help post me an email address and I'll get in touch.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Hey................

Fire Chief Magazine sponsors a contest every year on Fire Station Design. You can look it up at www.firechief.com Also, just F.Y.I. in this area, we try hard to avoid having anything else attached to a Fire Station, partly for security reasons.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Also, just F.Y.I. in this area, we try hard to avoid having anything else attached to a Fire Station, partly for security reasons.
    Oh cmon Chief, we know you wanna say something mean about the P.D. lol

Anyway, I think having buildings side by side isnt necessarily a bad idea, but incorporating them all into 1 is just alittle too far. To say the least, the culture clash would cause numerous problems.

And bay doors were rounded I think because that was just the architecture of the day. But Im probably wrong. Its 2 am. Im tired.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber Fletch 8903's Avatar

Just make sure the building has poles to slide down when the bells ring.

MembersZone Subscriber

And add one hell of a kitchen and TV room. Those items are often over looked as being excessive but they have a huge impact on moral and comrodery among the guys and gals. Its not to be slugs or anything, the worst thing you can do is not have decent food prep areas and the guys are all out getting take out all the time.. it will take its toll.
    [FONT=Garamond]Asst. Chief Chris Jennings

Default I'm probably the wrong one to ask

It'd be a long trip, but you are welcome to come to my city any day and see how not to build a combined police & fire facility.

To fully understand the needs of your city, you should do your best to learn what they have in their existing facilities and what they need in future facilities. Sure, this might just be a school project now. But if you do this correctly, they may turn to ideas inspired by you when the time & funding is right for new facilities.

Forum Member

One thing I feel is important is to have the entrance for the public come into the building to an office type setting. We have a couple of stations where the public entrance comes into the day room (living room, lounge, etc.) where the television, recliners, etc. are. Like someone mentioned, big kitchen, a room to work out in. For multi-agency buildings, you can set it up where fire/ems can share parts of the building, such as kitchen and bath facilities, but dormitories, storage, etc. probably should be separate. I would not be in favor of any common areas for fire/law enforcement agencies. All that sugar off the donuts attacts ants and roaches............

Thread Information